New to DarkBlizz, Statistics Generation

Started by jwir3, November 14, 2010, 05:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwir3

Hello, my name is Jwire.  I'm a software developer interested in developing a new type of statistical analyzer for SC2.  (Or, perhaps one already exists that will fit my needs and I simply need to be informed).

Ideally, I'd like to write a small application to track some additional statistics   not provided within Starcraft 2 (e.g. current daily point   increase/decrease, distribution of matches such as those won in the   first 5 minutes, etc...).  The problem is that there is some information   that isn't available on the battle.net webpage.  Ideally, I'd parse all   of the information directly from this website, but things like length   the game ran and opponents aren't provided on the web version.
So, I've been looking into capturing packets on a client machine to   see if there is a way I can extract this data as a user is playing sc2.    I'm not entirely sure this is going to work, because as I've seen thus   far, the packets are either encrypted, or simply not readable. 
I'm not sure this is entirely possibly.  Let me be clear - I don't actually want to modify any data seen or sent by the game.  I simply want to record statistics.  Right now, I've set up a (half-implemented) client/server model where the server intermittently polls the battle.net website for HTML and parses it according to a schema I've set up.  It then stores this data into an XML file for a user (eventually, this will be placed into a DB).  The client then pulls the data from the server and uses it to interpret and analyze it.

I know that this is possible using sc2gears with replays, but what I'd really like to do is to have a standalone application that can simply can give you the analysis you want at any time (i.e. you don't have to record every game in order to determine you're stats). 

Discussion on this is greatly appreciated.

~Jwire

Myst

Welcome to the site, GL on your project.  Sounds like you could inject a app inside sc2 to sniff all the game packets and parse out necessary things for stats.  I recall seeing somekind of stat thing for SC2 around, but not sure where at.  You could google around a bit and may find something.  edgeofnowhere.cc has some packet docs in their SC2 section that may help also.