Starcraft marching....

Started by Chain[s]aw, March 04, 2010, 06:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chain[s]aw

From the start i always had a problem with this in starcraft and i never thought it would be a problem in starcraft 2. Firstly i like to say that starcraft 2 is awesome however theres one problem i have.

Whenever i have a big army and want to march to the enemy base before i dispense and go into combat, i can't do that properly or with style, because many creeps move faster or slower than others.

For example i have a mothership and i want to march to the enemy base. I would have to keep on moving my forces and then moving then back which clumps all my units together to stay pace with the mothership

And i don't want to send my fast troops later when my slow units are nearly there so they can get tehre in time.. if those slow units get into an ambush they are gone.

Anyways does anyone else see this as a problem?
as in how all units can't march together at a correct pace? i mean that is one unorganised piece of army trash :P i mean the chinese army could take them down with their organised army skills XD.... but yeah back on track i would like to see a button where all units can march at the same speed and before battle we can disperse and  then from there micro and do strategies to defeat the opponent...
Anyone with me on this?

Gamewiz

Eh, it's not a big deal for me. Proper micro-management will keep your army together.

Dizmaul

i put different  groups in different hot-keys so no its not a problem really.

example: tell zelots to move out first then tell stalkers to follow the zelots

Chain[s]aw

i understand but who knew marching can be such a hard and complex task? i mean do you have to micro them so well so that they stay in line? and trust me mother ships move so slowly and youll be bored always having to micro her speed...

But also the fact it could be aswell style as well as gameplay. I mean how awesome would it be if your army is moving at the same speed together ready to attack the army.. That would be a show for the enemy.. make him shit his pants:P

Gamewiz

The problem though is that when you want your faster units to suddenly move fast, they can't. In that crucial moment, I don't want to have to worry about turning off some "move together" feature, or having to quickly try to unbind them from the group so they don't move so slowly.

Moving together as one large mass is also not a smart tactic depending on who you are going up against. If you are going up against Protoss and they have templar with psi-storm your army is done.

Also, that's not intimidating seeing an army moving slowly across the map. If I saw it, I wouldn't sh*t my pants, I'd just quickly mount a defense to counter it, especially since they are moving as slow as the slowest unit.

It's not smart tactics.

Dizmaul

it would be good for new players i guess but you don't need it at all

sublime

didnt wc3 make a group of units selected together all move at the pace of the slowest unit? this means that regardless of units having different speeds they would all travel the same speed as a group.

i havent really paid attention to this being the case in SC2. i guess it's not. cant say i really care

Chain[s]aw

hmm but do you guys see where im coming from though?...

i was bored as hell trying to move all armies again and again to keep them in there under the mother ship... because you want them to be invisible

Chain[s]aw

and the mothership move so bloody slow.... especially with the nerf of the latest patch

ooni

Quote from: sublime on March 04, 2010, 06:25:07 PM
didnt wc3 make a group of units selected together all move at the pace of the slowest unit? this means that regardless of units having different speeds they would all travel the same speed as a group.

i havent really paid attention to this being the case in SC2. i guess it's not. cant say i really care
yes, they removed in SC2 because they realised it was the wrong decision. Think about it, do you want to micro when you are not near enemy units or when you are getting slaughtered? This is a very logical choice. When you are retreating from battle select all and retreating will make every unit slow as mothership. This is LOL
When you are attacking an enemy base, you are not getting killed by enemy units, just micro them. It's a small price to pay for not having to micro a full scale retreat.

Chain[s]aw

well at that point in time the army would of dispersed and go at its natural pace... but i dont know for me i dont get the thrill of having an army and destroying another because it doesnt feel right as an army...

but i wanted to see what others think of it and i guess most aren't on me on this one... but cool thanks for all your suggestions and posts :)

Chain[s]aw

Gamewiz i get exactly what your saying but isnt that all part of commanding your army?... the fact that in crucial moments you have to give direct orders to units that will either win you the battle or lose you the battle

in saying that having to march than disperse is just another command that could be useful or not depening on the commander (player), i mean i think the option should be there but not compulsory to use
but thanks for replying to my post... im grateful :)

chetjan

Ya i agree that the mothership is bloody slow.

stephen1341

If you absolutely want to make them all stick together here's what you can do. Put all your units in hot groups. select the slowest units and put them at the front. Now select your other units and command them to follow one of the slow units. when the slow units stop to fight, the other units will also attack (but not very organized) or when you get to your destination you can micro all your groups into position. When units are commanded to follow another unit they will only move as fast as that unit. However, like the other guys said, you should just learn to micro your troops and keep them spread apart. having multiple attacks at once is a good strategy as it takes your victim by suprise.

Rain[sun]

I HATE how games like Halo Wars use this one speed fits all system.

Micro works mostly because of different unit speeds, if they were to slow down for the other guys youd have some micro issues
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage