Patch 6 is live!

Started by ItzMattu, March 25, 2010, 07:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazian

Quote from: starcrafter64 on March 26, 2010, 01:29:52 PM
Quote from: Sacroidd on March 26, 2010, 12:15:56 PM
wow, this patch changes a lot of stuff, specially prizes. I hate the Banneling damage boost, I think they were ok, two explosions just kills a marauder...

Marauders have 125HP, and are not Light Units....can someone explain how a baneling kills a marauder in 2 hits?  ::)

well that particular marauder could've been damaged by previous battle...
Platinum League, where you gets pwned

RagingPolarBear

I'm not sure I like the SCV thing. I know why they did it, mainly because people did marine/SCV rushes, but the increased marine build time and reactor build time will fix that. At worst, drop the SCV damage by 1 or something, but don't lower the hp, makes them too easy to snipe while building stuff.

The stalker change was needed, so they can counter banshees slightly better. Either that or they could have made banshees armored instead of light units.

I like the factory change to 150 as well, as it makes a metal build a lot more possible now, so all terrans don't have to go with barracks units. Definitely adds a few more versatile options to terran, and that's a good thing. I'm kind of sick of the current setup where it seems every terran goes marine/marauder for the entire game. I'd like to see some more tanks.

The baneling thing, I'm rather mixed about. Banelings are extremely effective against light units as it is now, and about the only thing balancing them happens to be that they suck against the armored units. As it is there's really nothing you can do to stop a baneling force from chewing up your zealots. The best you can do is put armored stuff up front to soak it. You'll never really kill them fast enough. So this one really worries me.

The rest of the changes I'm okay with though. Roaches certainly needed a little nerf. Though zerg still feels like they could use a buff. I'm thinking maybe make adrenal glands into a lair upgrade instead of a hive, since zerglings feel very unused, and adrenal isn't nearly as good as it was in Brood war anyway.

I'm also not really sure why the observer got a cost increase (and especially a build time increase). Protoss already has the worst detection in the game right now, I don't see any reason to make it worse. They're the only race that doesn't necessarily have any detection at all by tech 2 units. Zerg can always make overseers and every terran has scan sweep. Protoss basically have only cannons until they get robotics. I've always felt that was enough of a drawback. Cloaked banshee rushes are scary enough as it is.

Rain[sun]

Obs are nearly standard when you do need it though, but I agree its a bit much. Cloaked Banshee rushes should be pretty obvious if you're scouting enough though.
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

RagingPolarBear

Quote from: Rain[sun] on March 26, 2010, 06:51:26 PM
Obs are nearly standard when you do need it though, but I agree its a bit much. Cloaked Banshee rushes should be pretty obvious if you're scouting enough though.

Well, keep in mind that if you go templar tech first, you can't scout very easily. Though I suppose if you suspect that the terran is up to something, you're going to suspect a cloaked banshee rush. Against normal banshees, with the upgraded stalker and warp gates, you can generally respond quick enough to a standard banshee rush by just warping in 3-4 stalkers instantly as a reaction.

In brood war, generally you could get by with just temp tech/cannons as an early counter to cloaked units. a couple cannons at your natural or choke point where generally enough  to stop dark templar or lurkers. Lurkers could be stopped pretty well in general by using psi-storm. Already the existence of banshees pretty much encourages people to go fast robo, and this new change seems to almost force it, which is rather unfortunately in my opinion because the robotics bay units aren't even good against air. Not to mention most toss players at the highest tiers already do a robo-first build anyway, so I'm not sure why they'd want to make that even more mandatory.

berrykerry789

Do colossus still kill a marine in 1 attack? or is it 2 now?

Carrier Has Arrived...

RagingPolarBear

Quote from: berrykerry789 on March 27, 2010, 08:34:10 AM
Do colossus still kill a marine in 1 attack? or is it 2 now?

Two. Marines have 45 hp, and colossus now deals 20 twice for 40 damage per hit. That's assuming no upgrades.

Rain[sun]

Keeping in mind that the majority of balance changes are geared towards Platinum players, and I only just got out of placement, into silver. So I havent seen some of the best of the best yet, but obs are dirt cheap and ridiculously useful. Robo builds are common, obs don't need Observatory like they did in BW so now its pretty much guaranteed you have access to it in all matchups.

That being said, they might just be testing it out to see a fault/strength of other units as well. See how it plays out vs other builds etc., I doubt they're just making changes hoping to land on the magic formula
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Bliss

Quote from: RagingPolarBear on March 26, 2010, 03:12:29 PM
I'm also not really sure why the observer got a cost increase (and especially a build time increase). Protoss already has the worst detection in the game right now, I don't see any reason to make it worse. They're the only race that doesn't necessarily have any detection at all by tech 2 units. Zerg can always make overseers and every terran has scan sweep. Protoss basically have only cannons until they get robotics. I've always felt that was enough of a drawback. Cloaked banshee rushes are scary enough as it is.

Terrans would usually rather use the 50 energy for the mule. They have Raven, which is some 200 resources + 100 for tech lab on Starport (balanced, since it can do things other than just detection). Zerg has Overseers, which is 100 minerals from overlord and I think 150 to change (I haven't played zerg).  Observors still only cost 150 resources. It's not THAT bad to be honest. It could've been worse.

itsarabbit

It would probably be possible to send your SCV's to kill the other ones base right off if they didn't do this.
Actually, Im going to try and do that now :) .
EDIT: Didn't work  :-[ .
Want Beta key! :D

tomsons26

http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/not-enough-pylons/offline-patching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/
  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

berrykerry789

u guys played strategy ai? (for those that dont have a key like me  :'( :'( )
its actually pretty good since the ai can see the entire map, so it can counter your builds... still kinda too easy...
Carrier Has Arrived...