Skill level, matchmaking.

Started by itsarabbit, March 01, 2010, 02:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsarabbit

Hmm...
Any suggestions on how we should separate new players from medium players from pro players?
Want Beta key! :D

Gamewiz

Quote from: itsarabbit on March 01, 2010, 04:29:01 PM
Hmm...
Any suggestions on how we should separate new players from medium players from pro players?

Not sure. Because I don't consider myself a "pro" player by any means, but I definitely can defeat pretty much any AI that gets thrown at me. It's been a long time since I played SC1 against human players, and since I'm not in Beta I obviously haven't played SC2 against a human. But I've watched probably 75 videos with commentaries on SC2 multiplayer and pretty much know every unit now inside and out. I've perfected my terran build with varying strategies.

But, until I've played against a bunch of players, I couldn't tell you where I rank, as I just have no idea. I could be way worse than I think, or I could be awesome and annihilate everyone that goes against me. There is just no way of knowing.

Bebops

Retarded method.

If anyone loses to the comp they should be castrated. With any eco harrasing or containment the comp buckles so fast. They have no idea how to trap, so you can keep zergling/helions, in their base harassing workers down for like 12 minutes. Also the zerg have no idea how to cope with overlord ganking.

dodongbadong

this is simple only if we have emulated server. :D
You make your best AI script "cheating or not"
and ill test it for you
- FREE-

Rain[sun]

I think there is no way to rank players until you get a emulated server or till SC2 is up to all of us.

I played a bit of iCCup back when I was still in school, got up to C+, so I have an advantage over people that just sit on youtube all day watching others play. Different game but the playstyle is identical, im just using different hotkeys and subbing abilities in for others.

Some strats got completely erased but replaced by new ones, example: Reav/sair and reav drops are no longer viable, obviously. But prism's give the same idea, adding the ability to warp units in aswell. Long story short, experience in SC will take maybe 3-4 games per race to bend them into SC2, and you'll be back to the same ranking you were for SC.
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

TokeGaming

3-4 games and you'll be at the same rank you were in broodwar? lol?

I would say at least 75-100 games before you'd start to get a solid idea of whats going on. Sure the same overall concept applies, and with strong macro/micro you can put up a fight. But if your playing someone else who can micro/macro then its really up for grabs.

Builds are just starting to take place, im positive they will change, but id bet a million dollars that in 3-4 games you will not be understanding SC2 at the level you understood SC:BW. Not even 100 games. Probably not 500.

Anyway, I dont think a way to rank people BEFORE we even get a server up is even needed.

Xenoris

How about this as a ranking:
1. I fail! (lose against AI)
2. I build armies/defend and win!
3. I use caster units and like to do a bit of micro/own the AI hugely  :P (where i fit)
4. I played starcraft online a bit and switching was easy so i am god at this :D (AI.. may as well be sandbox because it does nothing)
5. I played competitivly and my starcraft 2 skills are just as good as my SC1 Skills.
6. David Kim Level  ???

Just my idea... hope u like it

Edited: moved ranks around a bit.

Rain[sun]

Quote from: TokeGaming on March 01, 2010, 07:31:18 PM
3-4 games and you'll be at the same rank you were in broodwar? lol?

I would say at least 75-100 games before you'd start to get a solid idea of whats going on. Sure the same overall concept applies, and with strong macro/micro you can put up a fight. But if your playing someone else who can micro/macro then its really up for grabs.

Builds are just starting to take place, im positive they will change, but id bet a million dollars that in 3-4 games you will not be understanding SC2 at the level you understood SC:BW. Not even 100 games. Probably not 500.

Anyway, I dont think a way to rank people BEFORE we even get a server up is even needed.

Not same rank but like, same understanding of the game. All it is, is rock paper scissors^3, figure out what works against what and the rest is just the micro/macro behind it. Builds and all that shit will change sure but im just talking about from my end. I never stopped changing the way I played BW, always a better way to do something or learning something that was buckwild.

3-4 is too little maybe but guaranteed if it takes you 100 games to get used to the game, you dont have much hope anyway, or youll dedicate WAY more time to get to the same level

but i doagree ranking now is stupid, even ranking one month after the game comes out isn't too accurate for the reasons everyones said
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

dodongbadong

hahaha speaking of rank

did you guys notice the crack. our stats in battlenet in sc2 is 390/670 not bad for a beginner huh  :D

and his achievement is something like a private or something. i dont know if its available for those guys playing battlenet 2.0 but on youtube i heard the commentator saying you can gain 2pts in ladder even if you play with a tight match.
You make your best AI script "cheating or not"
and ill test it for you
- FREE-