Starcraft 2 will have an offline Single Player mode

Started by iPcc, March 06, 2010, 03:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iPcc

Quote from Bashiok:

"I suppose this applies here but remember that StarCraft II and Diablo III are different games, and while they will be using a unified Battle.net platform we don't know what the requirements for Diablo III will be yet.

In regards to StarCraft II, yes you can play single player offline after authenticating the game."

[/size]
[/size]Link: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23214132938&sid=3000[/size][/font]

paranoid

But will it save your progress too when you play offline?

Because the button for offline play seems to be called "play as guest".

I hope it doesn't mean "play temporarily as a guest". I want to be able to save my progress offline too!
And why don't they just make a system where progress, achievements, etc are stored offline and then synched with the online account when you want to connect there?

Kernel64

yeah. I hate to go online just to get authentication because I want to make a map or just play single player. I'm still buying the game, but this thing they made is too elitist imo.

Rain[sun]

Quote from: paranoid on March 06, 2010, 04:46:20 AM
And why don't they just make a system where progress, achievements, etc are stored offline and then synched with the online account when you want to connect there?

I think thats what they want to avoid. When the account is offline, it promotes cracks/hacks/cheats/ etc. I THINK they want to keep those things competitive and fair. I mean, why have achievements if you can cheat? On the same note, why have achievements if you want to play offline?
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

gg.sc2

Okay, so if you have to authenticate, you have to be ONLINE first. That totally defeats the purpose of being able to play OFFLINE. I don't care about the SP campaign and saving, I just want to be able to play AI when I don't have internet connection at the moment.

Even if the GUEST account is available, will you be able to go in it without initially being ONLINE at all? It seems every time I start the SC2 BETA without a hacked launcher, if I'm not online it just gets stuck at the splash screen that appears in the center of the desktop saying SCII Beta. I hope retail doesn't require an ONLINE connection to just launch the game into the login screen. That would be fail.

Rain[sun]

You have to connect for updates and what not, but its been stated that it wont be every time

cloak123

Guys you dont have to authenticate ... there is a play as guest button, requires no internet and you can play offline, Sc2 is online/offline mode for achievements but not needed.

Rain[sun]

Quote from: cloak123 on March 08, 2010, 04:33:34 PM
Guys you dont have to authenticate ... there is a play as guest button, requires no internet and you can play offline, Sc2 is online/offline mode for achievements but not needed.

Im pretty sure you're wrong. From everything I've read, you have to no matter what connect online(as of now) once. I could be wrong but, thats how I interpreted them saying "you must connect online once before playing offline"

cloak123

Quote from: Rain[sun] on March 08, 2010, 09:22:35 PM

Im pretty sure you're wrong. From everything I've read, you have to no matter what connect online(as of now) once. I could be wrong but, thats how I interpreted them saying "you must connect online once before playing offline"

only on the beta. watch the blizzcast, And even on the main menu right now when you open the beta, the guest button is there just not functional....

Skygrinder

I think you don't get what the other guy is saying :P

You say there will be an offline mode, and yes there will be one for sure but you may have to authenticate online before playing.
Blood for the Blood God

mithhunter55

Quote from: Rain[sun] on March 08, 2010, 09:22:35 PM

No different then playing a game offline on steam.

starcrafter64

Starcraft 2 will not have offline profiles the same way Starcraft 1 did. Therefore achievements and the such will only be saved online with your profile.

The guest account will work offline, and will save progress, but not to an account. It will not sync with any online accounts when you get back online.

A) You need to authenticate the game online ONCE per machine, and possibly once every time a patch is installed.
B) You can only earn achievements to your profile if you sign in and are online.
C) You do NOT need an internet connection to play as guest. This includes skirmishes and Campaign.

Rain[sun]

Which is not a problem in the slightest!
Who needs achievements offline? You gonna show your little brother how pro you are at SC2?

MeruFM

I never understand these threads.
Who the hell complains about having to log onto a game? If you're able to spend your free time on these forums, I'm sure you can play games that require some online login.

The only ones that are really problematic are ones like Assassin's Creed II that need a CONSTANT internet connection. And it seems this isn't the case for SC2

Phoenix Down

It's obviously an effort towards reducing piracy. It's not like Blizzard is purposely inconveniencing the 0.05% of the people who want the game but don't have internet. Yeah i just pulled that out of my butt, its not factual, but come on. In this day and age you'd have to be living in the hills to not have internet. Get dial up at least, whatever, the fact is your a very tiny minority blizzard does not have to worry about when you weigh in the positives online authentication brings to them. They're even leaving out LAN in part of reducing piracy, you really think they're going to give a damn? And there are alot of people complaining about no LAN.