Fresh install possible after beta ended?

Started by ampoyo, June 24, 2010, 11:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampoyo

Has anyone successfully installed and patched Starcraft 2 since the beta servers went offline?  I've tried patching with the automatic updater and the manual process with no success.

When I try manually copying the patches into a folder called Updates in the starcraft 2 directory, the game loads as if there were no patches to download or install and then the updates folder is deleted, its the same with the automatic process.

I think perhaps the update server is down, and the starcraft 2 client only ever updates when the update server tells it to.  Has anyone been able to install and patch starcraft 2 since the beta went down, was there anything in particular needed to be done?  Or could anyone offer me any advice?  I'm surprised theres little to no discussion about this, it suggests perhaps I'm missing something.
EDIT: Things I have tried that failed:
Pulling the lan cable and doing the whole install and patch process offline
Reinstalling the game and putting the updates folder in the starcraft 2 folder so that the game might update directly after its finished installing (im going to try this some more with some other combinations of things).
Standard installation and update procedure
Things I'm going to try:
Copying a patched and working copy of starcraft 2 from another computer onto the one I want sc2 on.

Rdx

i had the same problem as you on my windows partition, though not on the mac side oddly... too bad the only mac launcher available isn't compatible with my version of mac os :(

it wouldn't patch after installing or by running the game normally so i tried the Updates folder method but got the same result as you. i found a post on the battle.net forums about forcing patches:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24702265260&sid=5000
(it's post #5, Manual Patching)

but, when i tried doing that it was going great until patch 15, then on one of the files, blizzard updater gave me an error and told me that i would have to contact blizzard support and reinstall... it took me like an hour to patch manually so i just gave up in frustration haha. if you have better luck patching let me know so i can try again

hope this helps

ampoyo

OK I got mine working with a method that won't be convenient for most.

I installed starcraft 2 in the usual way, but instead of messing around attempting to patch it, I just deleted it and copied over starcraft 2 from another computer, it was already patched and everything.  Then I copied backed up my documents (cache etc) files and everything worked just fine.

I'm really glad I started this thread though because forcing patches is exactly what we need, if something goes horribly wrong and I have to use the force patch method, I'll repost my results here.
Rdx:Thanks for the link, be sure to post your results if you give it another go!
Also still interested in hearing from others to find out if this is a common problem!

Rdx

that's awesome,  thanks a lot vernam! i realized that my mac version of sc2 was the enGB version and not enUS, so that's why it was able to patch >.>

Rambling

I got a message saying I was banned from the forums, this is a test. Sorry.

from Myst@DarkBlizz.org