DISCUSS AI v 4.0

Started by imbalisk, February 28, 2010, 03:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamewiz

Quote from: kzr22 on February 28, 2010, 05:27:35 PM
ok thx is there anyway to add more enemies or choose your race?

Not yet. If you downloaded all those maps that someone released on here, you can at least play all the maps as 1v1, and the 4 player maps also can have 3 AI as a free-for-all. Your race is still random.

TheBuzzer

Well i just tried it...

Never played a game of sc2 and tried using ai 4.0

the ai was hard at first but when i got my air it was so easy. still lot more work.

jawknee530

Is there any sort of schedule that is trying to be kept by the creator(s) or an ETA on the next AI. Me and my room mates are eagerly awaiting updates of games getting steadily more difficult.

imbalisk

Quote from: jawknee530 on February 28, 2010, 06:17:05 PM
Is there any sort of schedule that is trying to be kept by the creator(s) or an ETA on the next AI. Me and my room mates are eagerly awaiting updates of games getting steadily more difficult.
With more feedback we can make changes more quick since we will know what to fix :D

2g4u

If you play defensively a.k.a tech and use last tier units they have no chance.

Still some good mid game attacks. I also suffered a defeat(my first from not cheating AI) in ZvZ when I spammed lings+banelings and I was harassing from the begging of the game, instead of making a 50-60 limit of banelings with a control lings.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former!" Albert Einstein

ImWaitingforStarcraft3

Good practice for noobs I guess, still very fun to play against some not braindead opponents. Amazing work done so far. The improvement seen in just 24h from the turd AIs to the v4.0 is great. I prefer the v4.0 to the enhanced AI, although the enhanced is fun challenege too. I look forward to v5.0! Hopefully

Thanks again LazyTown!

moztacular

It's really been fun seeing the improvements to each version. I haven't lost a match yet (though I have only played a handful), but I think alot of the reason I haven't lost is that the enemy seems to give up on an attack prematurely. What I mean is the enemy will make a good early or mid game attack, and my army might be close to being wiped out, when suddenly the enemy turns tail and runs.

Sometimes they'll leave for a while, sometimes they'll just come back, see my army and turn to run again. I noticed when playing as zerg, if I microed roaches by burrowing and unburrowing them, the AI had no idea how to handle this and would just keep running away, instead of bringing some kind of detector unit.

So my only advice is to have it so the AI stays more committed to an attack, because I probably would have lost a match or two if the AI had actually forced its way into my base instead of retreating.

creamsoda

It seems like a lot of people are confused. So I'm gonna clear this up for the poor souls:

The insane AI has NOTHING to do with StarCrack's AI v4.0

So plz get that through your head before posting in this thread..

drunknfoo

Just registered to say thanks for all the time and effort being put into this.

For SC novice players all 4 versions of this AI seem to work well, but for the more experienced sc/BW players, ai is lacking in start, mid, end game

If possible, i there anyway an ai can be developed so they're super agressive while they're progressing through all tiers of units? Even delaying my mineral gathering by 30 seconds at the start of the matches doesn't seem to give the ai a better handicap.

Thanks again, keep up the great work!

Thatguy2010

I was playing Zerg vs Terran and about 10 minutes into the game just as I was placing those anti-melee towers around the ramp the Terran AI comes in with a huge force of Siege Tanks, Vikings, Marauders, Marines, Hellions, and a ghost. Obviously I got owned. AI seems to have used all it's resources aswell as used a variety of units. I did not see it's base so I do not know if it was having the Starport problem. I also played a game of Terran vs Terran, in which case the AI was good at scouting and again amassed a force of about the same description in about 10 minutes.

I also played a protoss game in which the protoss was very stupid. Expanded once to the nearest area, built pylons all over the map (which weren't powering anything), only built stalkers, zealots, probes, and observers, had tons of starports (but no ships),  and constantly retreated after a single unit was destroyed.

Things AI did right
- Scouted (used overlords and medivacs)
- Constructed t2 units
- Microed a bit, moved weak units to the back
- Would retreat when encountering a force of greater size to it. Its 6 marines ran after seeing my 4 marine bunker.

Things AI did wrong
- Protoss. Period
- No t3 units
- I did not see any unit upgrades
- occasionally retreated when it could clearly obliterate me
- freaked out when it saw a loaded bunker when playing as protoss
- did not expand much
- as protoss after the large army was destroyed it did not build another
- STARPORTS, EVERYWHERE

is much better than previous AIs. Mid game is good. End game needs lots of work, needs more expansion, and needs to know when to stop building starports. Also rework protoss.

TokeGaming

AI is really easy.

Im very thankful to all the devs working on it, but its not much of a challenge. I consider myself a good starcraft bw player, and I think the simple points from starcraft bw (macro,micro) have made it easy to win with any race any matchup.

For someone new too the game it would definetly be a challenge, but if you macro half decently its an easy win, even if you do idiotic builds.

Its very entertaining, but im looking for multiplayer so much more haha

Gr!mm

Quote from: GurU on February 28, 2010, 03:45:48 PM
First of all THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WORK !

And now some bitter words.

I played few games on Lost Temple 1/1/1/1 and noticed that :

- all my protoss oponents build 2x warp shrines what is nonsens !
- the expansion still have no protecting units. Only 1 or 2 canons
- AI make only 1 expansion
- AI make only one army and if this army get crushed he won't build another
- zerg dies instantly after 5 minutes :/ (killed by AI)
- I never played against Terran xD (after 3 or 4 games)
-as I lifted off command center and moved on the island AI wasn't able to charm me

That is all for now

I havent found any of this to be true for me. I was in a T vs T and the enemy expanded to 3 bases and continued to make many troops after numerous battles.

OveR

Myke

It was my vs Toss on Blistering Sands. Im about to start getting some roaches when 3 zealots come into by base and wreck me...apparently I need zerglings up first.

Nice job overall.

creamsoda

the problem is the AI is way too easy to counter..

All you have to do is build up a quick army, and make some defense. When they attack you, just destroy their whole army and then counter, and they'll be dead.

The AI is not good at attacking & building units at the same time.

with that said tho, great job on it. The AI keeps improving with every release. Keep up the good work!

Andrige

I'm not sure if you made a new thread for AI v5.  Overall, it is a lot better.  He is quite a bit more aggressive now, yet still knows when to retreat.  After he defeated my attack, he tried to push my main which was nice.  He also scouted me at the beginning of the game (although it seemed a bit early).  The major problem with the AI is that he didn't know how to counter.  I made banshees for my original attack and yet he still didn't make any anti air units.  All he had was a couple of turrets to defend against my banshee attack a few minutes later.  Overall, the AI has improved a lot.  Good work.