StarCrack AI Official 6.0 Feedback Thread

Started by turdburgler, March 05, 2010, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashdlgsagld

Quote from: killabyte on March 06, 2010, 12:33:36 AM
well remember what he said about it - it will use different strategies each time (early, mid, late game stuff, etc).  just because the last game you played was easy doesn't mean they all will.  give it a few more tries before you smash it.
played pvt and tvz. same thing :C it makes a small group of units, doesn't rush / attack for a looong time, then ends up getting smashed by maxed thors etc :C my siege tank splash did more dmg than his units.  they are making decent bases just.. waiting 15 minutes to attack with 1.5 groups of lings and 2 hydras.

legendre

Game 3 - Terran vs AI Protoss, Lost Temple.

The protoss went 3 gate zealot rush with an impressive amount of zealots! Too bad it once again took terrible damage from reaper rushing and I was walled in with marauders/reapers behind. Went MMM again and wiped the computer easily.

Suggestion:

Is it possible to make the AI prepare for or counter reaper rushing? They can't really survive versus Terran because they can't handle reapers.

HardHardy

iPcc

I would just like to say that it is a challenge beating the non-cheating AI if I wasn't so sneaky as to destroy the Zerg's lair with cloaked banshee. Hopefully, the next random build, they would be massing hydralisks (I played with an Ultralisks and Zergling build.) It was surprising to see an ultralisks hiding in the ramp ^^ But I spotted them just before I went in. ^^ So +1 for GJ

Suggestions: Make the AI Queen spawn creep tumor so that the next time I destroy their lair (even in their expansions), their defense buildings won't auto-die. It could also be a good build - Creep tumor around your expansion to prevent you to expand.

Maybe add some tricky build - like the exotic rushes: cannon rush, siege rush, Planetary defense rush, SCV rush, Reaper rush, etc; or different exotic strategies:Terran's wall of doom, Pylon proxy, Probe's Terran Assimilator vespene gas delay strategy. Just as a training tool for new players who wouldn't expect these things.

Anyway, just some suggestions. And keep up the good work!  :)

ashdlgsagld

Quote from: legendre on March 06, 2010, 01:31:18 AM
Game 3 - Terran vs AI Protoss, Lost Temple.

The protoss went 3 gate zealot rush with an impressive amount of zealots! Too bad it once again took terrible damage from reaper rushing and I was walled in with marauders/reapers behind. Went MMM again and wiped the computer easily.

Suggestion:

Is it possible to make the AI prepare for or counter reaper rushing? They can't really survive versus Terran because they can't handle reapers.
suggestion: try not walling against a comp?  :D

cloak123

Game 1:
Good Ai Response and building, But still Masses too low of numbers and very little anti air. The units still seem to retreat alot too. I had one thor and about 5 mauraders and 40 rines with medvices all ran away from it so i just picked them off.

thats just game one so far.

Game 2 ALL AI: I just watched this one as i diddnt want to play just yet, and It seemed as If there was multi races such as protoss They would all go the same thing. Protoss Built a wide variety of units and had a strong force with nice upgrades, But diddnt like the fact that Chrono boost had not yet been implemented nor warp gates yet i see them being used in other ai's now. which could give protoss more of a edge, Terran built small forces early/mid game and were not very strong but once they got expanded and had some factorys man did they explode and own the map.

Now your zerg i have a real problem with, there was 2 of them as well and it seemed as They started strong with banelings and zerglings, and manged to expand some with some roaches, it took over the high yeald and used the queen at the main only, but a protoss force pushed in and killed the High yield base and the zerg just kinda died. same with the other protoss once his expansion was destroyed. He made no attempt to rebuild probes at his other base same as the zerg. The protoss did however continue to build units, but the zerg only made a few lings once in a while and finished the game dead with a total of 5000 mins unused.

your ai Has made some real steps and your terran is above all others, But i think a few more days of development wouldnt hurt to add some extra things easily implented before this should have come out, Ill continue with some more feedback

Meloku

Game 1: ZvP, Blistering Sands. I went mass roaches as usual, but the AI attacked me first with an unusual mass of Zealots, backed up shortly after by Stalkers. I was stomped.

Game 2: PvT, Blistering Sands. This one took me longer than on 5.5, since the AI went on a mix of rines, tanks, marauders, vikings and a couple of Thors (yeah, the AI sent a Thor to my natural expansion!!! That was unexpected). Each time I play with toss, I learn to love Sentries and Phoenixes a little more, but now I had to micro them a lot more than on 5.5 to sucessfully steamroll the AI.

Great job on the AI, guys! It's growing stronger with each update, and for me it's a great replacement for online gaming. Just one thing: the AI scouts (SCV, Drone, Probe) are still doing that weird dance when spotted instead of running back to base or going commando into my base. At least, the AI army now faces me when our numbers are even.

littlewild

First of all thanks for taking the time to write the AI. :)

However I think more effort should be put in to the overall state model. Not sure if there is a way for AI to store the information obtained while scouting and then adjust their units accordingly. For example if the AI scouts that you are massing roaches, then it might counter with either air units or marauders or immortals as Terran or Zerg.

Adding in a hard coded unit counter list will definitely improve the combat experience rather than having the AI building the same units based on the build list given.

The micro also seems to be lacking. There is no pulling back of injured unit or focusing fire on a unit. Small changes to the tactical AI that will be great to have.

Nesreca

Thank you for 6.0! Keep up the good work. I'm going to play some more games and try out the cheating version.

legendre

Quote from: ashdlgsagld on March 06, 2010, 01:34:22 AM

I was just doing what I normally do in a real game. Don't really find it purposeful to deviate from it when playing against the computer. I play the AI with the goal of practicing for 1v1.

Another Suggestion

I don't know if its possible but maybe make the computer consider dropping or air attacks when the direct route is blocked?

orbb24

Quote from: legendre on March 06, 2010, 02:50:56 AM

I was just doing what I normally do in a real game. Don't really find it purposeful to deviate from it when playing against the computer. I play the AI with the goal of practicing for 1v1.
You are playing against this AI for the wrong reason if you are practicing for 1v1 matches. It isn't going to get you much for that. If anything it will just make you develop bad habits. Or turn in to a complainer on how easy the AI is. This AI is really good for practicing your macro though. Try to make sure you are always low on minerals and gas. That is what this AI is great for. Practice the macro!

UberB

Quote from: orbb24 on March 06, 2010, 02:58:38 AM
Quote from: legendre on March 06, 2010, 02:50:56 AM

You are playing against this AI for the wrong reason if you are practicing for 1v1 matches. It isn't going to get you much for that. If anything it will just make you develop bad habits. Or turn in to a complainer on how easy the AI is. This AI is really good for practicing your macro though. Try to make sure you are always low on minerals and gas. That is what this AI is great for. Practice the macro!

100% agreed. Anyone who whines about the AI not being cheeseproof is an idiot. I bet a lot of people here can't even beat the non-cheating AI straight up. Either way, I suggest everyone try beating the cheating AI straight up. Now that's a challenge.

Great job on the AI btw, 6.0 is very good!

btnheazy03

mad props to you, sir. here, have an interwebs.  8)

foobie

Seems like one of the Zerg build orders is broken. Twice saw them building mass drones.

siman

Good job! nice AI with custom state management =)
what's the next improvement?