StarCrack AI Official Thread (Latest Version: 7.0 )

Started by turdburgler, March 01, 2010, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tresh

I THINK it already does that... sorta. Sometimes. Maybe.

orbb24

Ya. I believe more early game methods would be nice. You said you have 3 different early game strats for each but I'm not really seeing it. Toss 3 gates, Terran 3 rax, Zerg fast pool. I have seen different mid and late game strats though. Now throw in the ability for them to turtle up and tech or do what is considered "standard play" for the race and that would be amazing.

SiLo

I've been using a pretty mean Reaper rush tactic against the AI and it's pretty solid. Both Zerg and Protoss AI get destroyed by it on Medium. I haven't tried Hard yet because cheating imo is not a real "good" way to test a strategy. Sure it might work, but the resource advantage is just unreal. I'll probably try it later just to test.

For the Zerg, I scout and wait for their first rush and wall in to destroy it. Once that's over with, the 3-4 Reapers I have can go out on a strike force and play. Roaches can be annoying but usually I can kite them. Against Protoss, I just go straight to their base and pester their Zealots from the high ground.

Anyhow, the only part that is a bit disappointing is that the AI gets dumb sometimes. For example, on Kulas Ravine I will micro the Reapers to jump down shoot and lure, jump back up and hold position while they shoot from the high ground. This is pretty easy, especially with the speed boost. The problem is sometimes the AI just sits down there running in place (sort of) with Zerglings/Zealots. They will literally lose 5, 10, or even 15+ units this way.

I'm not sure what solution there would be, because I would still chase and harass them if they pulled back as I have the speed advantage by far. Only one time did the Zerg retaliate enough to build Mutalisks and make the game go on longer than a few minutes.

Just putting this one out there for the AI devs. :)

kurupted

Quote from: Dariusz on March 15, 2010, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: devinmorris on March 15, 2010, 06:17:42 PM
ETA 7.0?

Why u want 7.0 btw? If its easy for u just got 3vs1/4vs1 and u qq to get easy/v5ai ver again :P

Just so you know, adding more opponents does not equal better play from AI  :thumbsup: . I've won 1v3 and it didnt change much in the AI behaviour, apart from having to handle 3x more units but their micro was still crappy and they followed the same pattern  :whistle: .(read - easy to anticipate).

And about asking for 7.0, give the poor guy/team some time and slack, they are putting their time and effort for free, I'm sure Turd will make a big red post when 7.0 isbeing released  :-*

maartendq

Quote from: orbb24 on March 15, 2010, 10:34:08 PM
Ya. I believe more early game methods would be nice. You said you have 3 different early game strats for each but I'm not really seeing it. Toss 3 gates, Terran 3 rax, Zerg fast pool. I have seen different mid and late game strats though. Now throw in the ability for them to turtle up and tech or do what is considered "standard play" for the race and that would be amazing.

Noticed too that the AI doesn't use much variation. It's really predictable after a few games. First the first wave of T1 units, followed by a second if it was narrowly defeated. If it was butchered it will tech up, but at a way slower rate than the player.

paco

Played this today,
14 Player Kulas Ravine with cheating AI
The end of it is a bit boring cause i had to rebuild my base couple of times :D

Rep
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hyzy4k2zowu/2010-03-16 14-01-46.SC2Replay

Map
http://sc2.nibbits.com/maps/view/131753/14-player-kulas-ravine

Parasity

When I play, all the difficulty are the same, from Very Easy to Insane. Did I put something wrong? Please help.

RJIrvine

Thanks for all the hard work. I've never played any MP SC so I guess what i'm about to write can be put down to that entirely.

I CAN'T WIN QQ

Seriously, I played SC1 campaigns years back and I never remember finding it massively challenging but the SP and MP are completely different.

I've beating the AI a few times on very easy/easy as terran, i'm not comfortable with protoss, but as zerg I just can't seem to beat the relentless zealot rush's.

Anyway, I'm sure i'm part of a small number of people who are finding this insanely difficult on veasy, keep up the good work... thanks to these cracks SC2 is now my most highly anticipated game release, works for Blizz too, i'll be forking over the cash for all 3 games.

Kernel64

Go for banelings.

10 drones,
2nd overlord
13drones, pool, 1 extractor. keep pumping drones until you reach 16/18 food. have 2 drones mining gas. You can expand here to your natural expansion.
Once the pool pops:
  queen, then 3rd overlord. Then baneling nest when you reach 50 gas.
keep pumping zerglings, and morph them to banelings asap.

after they're dead, morph the next batch of larva to drones. Lair tech, and make 2 more extractors for a total of 3 running.

Remember to keep spawn larva using queen.
then use the next batch for lings. overlord, then spire.

Mutalisks, maintain at least 24 zerglings while you keep pumping mutalisk. add more lings or expand to 2nd expo. Then when you have enough muta at about 9mins, win the game!

Hope that helps.

RJIrvine

Quote from: Kernel64 on March 16, 2010, 05:11:06 PM
Go for banelings.

10 drones,
2nd overlord
13drones, pool, 1 extractor. keep pumping drones until you reach 16/18 food. have 2 drones mining gas. You can expand here to your natural expansion.
Once the pool pops:
  queen, then 3rd overlord. Then baneling nest when you reach 50 gas.
keep pumping zerglings, and morph them to banelings asap.

after they're dead, morph the next batch of larva to drones. Lair tech, and make 2 more extractors for a total of 3 running.

Remember to keep spawn larva using queen.
then use the next batch for lings. overlord, then spire.

Mutalisks, maintain at least 24 zerglings while you keep pumping mutalisk. add more lings or expand to 2nd expo. Then when you have enough muta at about 9mins, win the game!

Hope that helps.

Will give it a try, i'm not getting frustrated with it i'm having a blast which is good. Hopefully all this practise against the hard AI should secure some pvp wins when the game comes out :D Thanks for the tips.

Sly_Fly

Quote from: Parasity on March 16, 2010, 11:57:17 AM
When I play, all the difficulty are the same, from Very Easy to Insane. Did I put something wrong? Please help.

You are probably not putting the AI in the right place or are using the really old AI that has lots of different difficulties and doesnt change anything. Make  sure you get the "Base.sc2data" file from page one of this topic and put it in the "Liberty.SC2Mod folder". And yes, it will overwrite a file there so make sure you back it up.

ilmman

I've downloaded 6.1.1 and replaced the file in the C:program files/starcraft... etc folder.. however when i launch the game it always says im on AI 5.5 ... any clues?

itsarabbit

Quote from: devinmorris on March 16, 2010, 12:50:23 PM
eta 7.0?
Can someone ban him or something, he got 15 posts, and in all of them, he's asking for an ETA.
Which he WONT get.
Want Beta key! :D

Endorsed

How do you change difficulty? And whats the default diffulcty(I gues medium)