Starcraft 2 Terran Builds

Started by War_Machine, March 01, 2010, 05:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War_Machine

I would consider myself an experienced Terran player. Just curious, those of you whose use Terran. What builds do you go with/have worked well for you?

I have seen that there are not to many Terran players in the Beta, I hope I can get a key and change that, or even with a b.net emulator. But what are your guys builds for Terran

Bebops

I played broodwar for like 2 weeks, so I'm pretty noob, but these are my general tactics not sure if they're retarded, kinda smart of dead on  8)

(every map I wall in, I don't see a reason not to because of the supply up/down thing)

Against P

I usually go,

supply
supply
barracks keep marines pumping
gas
supply
supply
gas
factory w/ reactor, pump shit tons of helions fast.
harass his eco hard, if he doesn't have stalkers yet, I'll just micro the zealots down and get a quick win.
start CC
starport / reactor
starport / tech
with all the hellion eco harass he should have crap going for him, then I'll just viking drop his base, with like 8 vikings, and 3 ravens for dectection/turrets

TvZ

supply
barracks - marines like 6-8
supply
gas
supply
gas
put tech addon on barracks - start reavers
factory / tech(learn siege asap)
start pumping hellions your gas should be too low for tanks anyway

then from there it kinda depends on what happens, his first real wave, I usually micro all the zerglings down with the hellions, then bring the marines in to assist with the cockroaches.

I try to play to contain game against zerg, with vikings, and sieges. Using reavers harrases to prevent the spire from coming up.

TvT I just double barracks, double reactor marine spam rush, pretty gay, but I don't enjoy TvT

zsum

Well what i have seen so far from watching decent sc2 beta streams on teamliquid.net... Its diffferent when playing a AI. all i can help you with is weakness. for terran vs protoss i have seen reapers used alot to harrass but if protoss goes stalkers they own reapers..if you go tech like tanks and vultures and they go immortals..witch own tech as in armored units. then you have to go marines reapers..but thats all in player vs player.. against the AI they always build a whole mix of units so its way different builds..all you can do against AI is practice your timings and get used to the units..and remember the simple stuff like chrono boosting, keeping ur mule up as often as possible, and spraying your hatch with your queen..also expanding..keeping your econmy up.. when you expo make sure to put defense up..just get used to the little simple things that actually make a big difference when playing actuall players..

VenomGundam

I found somthing that works for terran thats really easy to use at the start when you are teching up you only need to build 6 supply depots and use the extra supply from the orbital command and you will be good for a while, i usually build 2 supply depots at the entrance to my base to block it off and then build 4 in the base probhably at the back it works damn well for people who forget to build depots like myself.

Gamewiz

Quote from: VenomGundam on March 01, 2010, 03:06:14 PM
I found somthing that works for terran thats really easy to use at the start when you are teching up you only need to build 6 supply depots and use the extra supply from the orbital command and you will be good for a while, i usually build 2 supply depots at the entrance to my base to block it off and then build 4 in the base probhably at the back it works damn well for people who forget to build depots like myself.

Except in my opinion you are wasting that energy from your Orbital command. If you use that energy on a mule, a mule will gather around 300 minerals before it's time runs out. That means you are effectively spending 300 minerals on a supply depot, when you could just build another one for 100 minerals.

It's not cost effective, and will get you killed in a player vs player match. Yes, I know we don't have that option yet, but we will, so it's best to not develop bad habits. ;)

ShadowTiger

you should decide what to build based on what tech buildings the enemy is constructing. You should send the scv that builds your first supply depot to go scout for an early rush with zerglings or something else. Keep it alive in their base as long as possible so you can see what tech buildings they get, and that should give you all the info you need to know what units to build. the point is that if you are reacting once you see the units on the battlefield, thats usually too late to do anthing about it. But if you scout it early you will have enough counter units out by the time they reach your base. You should always pull back your army if they are building a unit you cant deal with (unless you can destroy them before it comes out).

chetjan

Some interesting builds here, i'll have to try them out. Personally for terran I like a maurader medic tech and harass. Works great for me, though I don't know how it would work against other real players. (This is mainly in TvP)

dodongbadong

guys i have just watch starcraft2 commentary on youtube link by starcraft2 page in facebook. man so wonderful their unit combination where so great how i wish we could already play like that soon.. seriously i droll while watching  :(
You make your best AI script "cheating or not"
and ill test it for you
- FREE-

Gamewiz

I was thinking about how I would describe my Terran build (Terrans are my primary race), but truthfully it's really hard to write down, because you shouldn't just have one build against each type of race. A build should all depend on how your opponent is progressing, and learning to adapt.

That's why scouting is so crucial. If I'm going up against a Protoss player and see him building 2-3 gateways, he's pumping out mass zealots to start. If I see him getting gas early and warped in a cybernetics core, he's going stalkers. If I see a forge, he's going cannons and is going to turtle in to start.

So I should build accordingly. The longer a game goes on, the harder it'll be to win. Making quick moves to gain the upper hand in the beginning will always give you a huge advantage.

Also, CONTROL THE MAP. This doesn't apply to a computer opponent though, rather the exact opposite. But for a human, they are easy to manipulate. Put pressure on them, control the map, don't let them expand. Constantly harass and intimidate. Never let them build up.

For a computer opponent though, just tuck into your base with maybe 1-2 expansions and just wait them out. Let them splash against your defenses until they exhaust their resources. Keep sending out small raiding parties to harass their undefended expansions.

As to a standard starting build order for Terrans, I just use the standard formula: my 9th SCV I'll send to build a supply depot near the ramp. When it finishes, that scv goes to scout. Another scv comes up to build a barracks. Halfway through building that, I'll bring up another scv to build the second depot to finish walling off my entrance. Obviously this whole time I don't stop production of scvs. Once the wall is complete, as I'm pumping out a few marines one at a time, I begin work on a refinery and a second barracks. Once those are complete, depending on what my opponent is doing, I will adapt according. Almost always in the beginning though I'll have a mix of marauders and marines to keep my defense up while I tech to what I want to counter the opponent with.

kdronez

With terran you can do everything you dont actualy need tactics vs Ai 5.5 .I usualy bunker the AI in theyre bases (just for fun xD).

Crazed

With Terran your best bet is to go Marines and Marauders with Medivac support later on.
So, usually you wall in at your choke point going supply->rax->supply and then build 2 more barracks (while pumping scvs and getting orbital command). You want to have 2 rax with tech labs and one with reactor.

You can do some other strategies where you go for a reaper rush, or perhaps try to rush for Hellions in order to rape that initial zergling or zealot attack, however you'll have to remember to micro cause they are pretty fragile.

netskater4454

I think the most lethal and flexible build out there that many player should fear is the Marine&Maruder 6min Timing push build
10 Supply Depot
12 Barracks
14 Supply Depot (Finish Wall-in... every map is different)
15 Refinery
16 Scout
17 Marine
17 Orbital Command
17 Tech Lab (First Barracks)
17 Supply Depot
18 2nd Barracks
18 Marauder
20 3rd Barracks
20 Supply Depot
24 Reactor on 2nd Barracks
26 Supply Depot
MAKE SUPPLY DEPOTS NONSTOP WITH 1 SCV
27 Tech Lab on 3rd Barracks
CONSTANTLY MAKE 2X MARINES AND 2X MARAUDERS FROM ALL BARRACKS.
35 2nd Refinery
PUSH OUT ONCE FIRST MARAUDER SPAWNS FROM 3RD BARRACKS
45 Stimpack
Constantly produce units.

Depending on how our attack goes:
Goes Well: Keep pressure up, producing units
If Goes Normal: Tech to Medvacs
If Goes Poorly: Turtle and build Command Center in main to expand.

I have won countless games with this build, its so flexible, and even if i screwed up, i still have a chance to change the game around, but usually I win with 6:30 after i start the push, since not many players currently on beta knows how to counter this build, and even if they do counter it, just move your units back to your base and continue to macro up,and throw down a CC at natural expo, this build is flexible and works against all races, except when its a TvT, the other terran could be doing the exact same build order, and push out the same moment you push out, then when your forces meet it'll all come down to micro, if your micro is good, i suggest you confront the army, if you know that your army is not the greatest, move your army back to your base, and throw down a CC inside your base. I would like to give props for HuskySC the creator of this build(i think) and would suggest anyone who want to learn more about this build or other builds to check out his channel at www.youtube.com/HuskySC