Starcraft marching....

Started by Chain[s]aw, March 04, 2010, 06:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloak123

The units were never ment to march across the map together, Such as the mothership has a recall option to instantly teleport your army across with it.  so it should only be a issue untill you learn your style

Rain[sun]

Yeah, no units should really be marching, like you have no distance to cover really
It should just be more of moving to a new area, not like some epic regimented marching lol
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Chain[s]aw

haha yeah its good to get some good feedback from the community about my enquiry. thanks for the posts...  :)

gg.sc2

The whole difference in speed between units is the reason why SC is SC. Take the time to learn your army positioning within the game and how to control your units and you won't have a problem. For example, just don't attack move into the enemy base. Even if you have a superior army, a force with good positioning will take you on no problem.

I also don't understand what you mean when you say you "have" to move your faster units back. You don't. Let them wait for your slower units to catch up. You should always attack move to an area nearby the enemy and wait a couple seconds for your force to regroup before initiating an attack.

Don't listen to the comments about selecting units and clicking onto another unit to make those units follow it. That's a very bad habit and even more irritating to have to do than just commanding the units to go where you want them to right on the map. The key to maximizing your efficiency in army control is to use your CTRL grouping keys. CTRL+1 for certain units, CTR+2 for other units, etc, don't keep everything in one group, that's fail even though SC2 makes it so much easier for that to happen. Personally, I liked SC1's recipe of being able to select only 12 units at a time. You learn to control your units well when you have to attack move 5 full groups of a dozen units each to attack the enemy base. 1a2a3a4a5a.

Gamewiz

Quote from: gg.sc2 on March 05, 2010, 11:30:02 AMYou learn to control your units well when you have to attack move 5 full groups of a dozen units each to attack the enemy base. 1a2a3a4a5a.

Maybe it's just me but that was always annoying as hell...

MeruFM

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 11:37:46 AM
Quote from: gg.sc2 on March 05, 2010, 11:30:02 AMYou learn to control your units well when you have to attack move 5 full groups of a dozen units each to attack the enemy base. 1a2a3a4a5a.

If that's your response, you should play some other game like Supreme Commander. Starcraft is designed from the ground up to give players much more control and reduce automation. Which is why even small things like "multiple building selection" and "auto worker mining" is debated so much.
Sup Com on the other hand is all about automating a giant army and making everything work in a simple way.

Gamewiz

Quote from: MeruFM on March 05, 2010, 12:12:44 PM

If that's your response, you should play some other game like Supreme Commander. Starcraft is designed from the ground up to give players much more control and reduce automation. Which is why even small things like "multiple building selection" and "auto worker mining" is debated so much.
Sup Com on the other hand is all about automating a giant army and making everything work in a simple way.

Or I can play SC2 and be perfectly happy...

If you like it so much, I could tell you to go back to playing SC1. ;)

MeruFM

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 12:22:05 PM

It's you who's saying it's annoying though and it's me who's perfectly happy AND TELLING YOU that they won't change it because that's how SC2 is like.

Gamewiz

Quote from: MeruFM on March 05, 2010, 12:32:21 PM
Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 12:22:05 PM

It's you who's saying it's annoying though and it's me who's perfectly happy AND TELLING YOU that they won't change it because that's how SC2 is like.

Except that's not how SC2 is like... SC2 is not this 1a2a3a4a stuff... You can place them all in one group if you want, then tab them for micro. And now with SC2, I usually have 1 be my entire force, then that same force is broken up into 2,3,4, etc if I need to have unit types fall back, or target a specific enemy, etc. But at least now I can move up the entire army in one command, instead of spamming 1a2a3a4a5a, etc.

Rain[sun]

I dont mind it, SC1 was definitely harder micro-wise, and I think that'll help in the long run for SC2 players. People that jump into Sc2 that were bad at reg SC micro wont get as good as quickly.

All we have to learn is the counters and strategies, everyone else has to learn micro on top of that. Now its just easier for us, so win/win

Gamewiz

Quote from: Rain[sun] on March 05, 2010, 04:55:58 PM
I dont mind it, SC1 was definitely harder micro-wise, and I think that'll help in the long run for SC2 players. People that jump into Sc2 that were bad at reg SC micro wont get as good as quickly.

All we have to learn is the counters and strategies, everyone else has to learn micro on top of that. Now its just easier for us, so win/win

I couldn't agree more. The problem I have is when hardcore SC1 fans complain that you don't have to micro your units as much in SC2.... which isn't completely true. There is just as much strategy in SC2 as in SC1, if not more so. At least now we don't have to worry about the technical limitations in SC1, like # of units in groups, pathfinding, etc. That's called progress.

Rain[sun]

Theres for sure wayyy more micro involved in SC2, which is a good thing for people used to it.

SC was based off of quirks and failures in the game that people considered "skill" to overcome to be a good player, whereas SC2 is just refined gameplay, so no quirks to work around.

A few examples off the top of my head: Retarded scarab targetting, the 1000 glitches used to freeze/destroy units other than the way they were intended, worker stacking, "micro" being more about hotkeying because you could only select 12 units. The list goes on and on