I think this is pretty cool (Zerg)

Started by Rahab, March 05, 2010, 01:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rahab

I noticed subtle differences in certain units/races depending on color/randomness this is one example. I've noticed Purple Zerg are darker, grittier, and overall more blacker than other colors. I think this is related to Purple being Kerrigan's personal brood..
Discuss some things you've seen that are interesting..

Gamewiz

Not sure what you're smoking... But they both have the same base color. The purple one looks slightly darker only because purple is a darker color than orange... But the base color is the same on both.

Rahab

The angle isn't showing the front of the purple overlord but I saw it, and it was not the same color. Do you want me to take another screenshot?

madrussian190

do it... i wanna c what ur talking about, im a zerg fan :)

Rahab

Okay well I think it's more noticeable here
YELLOW

PURPLE

cyricc

Quote from: Rahab on March 05, 2010, 01:41:50 PM
The angle isn't showing the front of the purple overlord but I saw it, and it was not the same color. Do you want me to take another screenshot?

I think its an optical illusion, it would be really dumb for the developers to put in seperate textures depending on which color the units are as you can change the colors of the units with the creepsview

option next to the minimap. Here is an example of how colors next to eachother appear to be of different shade but truely are not.

Kernel64

Can you notice that the carapace have tints on them? The purple ovie's carapace is purple-ish, while the orange is, well, orangey. :)

That's where the change comes from. It's the same model, but the skins are overlayed with team color as well. There might be different skins for different players?

Gamewiz

Quote from: cyricc on March 05, 2010, 01:51:33 PM

I think its an optical illusion, it would be really dumb for the developers to put in seperate textures depending on which color the units are as you can change the colors of the units with the creepsview

option next to the minimap. Here is an example of how colors next to eachother appear to be of different shade but truely are not.

It is an optical illusion (with regards to the overlords), but that diagram isn't right. I just checked it in Photoshop and they are different shades of grey... Not sure if it got messed up somewhere along the way. ;)

Rahab

I like how they merged the color into the skin, gives the impression of realistic color differences, but aside from this has anyone seen anything similar to the Baby tank glitch from a previous thread ive seen? Like a smaller thor? Larger Zergling?

vitalsine

Just looks like the base skin is a fleshy color with whatever team color you choose as an overlay. If you look at your pics the yellow one is more yellow up the middle of the body, and the purple one more purple. That woulda been sweet though if there were slight differences, lots of work though.

cyricc

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 01:58:16 PM
Quote from: cyricc on March 05, 2010, 01:51:33 PM

option next to the minimap. Here is an example of how colors next to each other appear to be of different shade but truely are not.

It is an optical illusion (with regards to the overlords), but that diagram isn't right. I just checked it in Photoshop and they are different shades of grey... Not sure if it got messed up somewhere along the way. ;)

Yes you are right I pulled up PS as well and got 6c6c6c and 6b6b6b I think this is because of the compression used on this jpeg, I found it on Google images but the colors are still incredibly close and it gets the point across. Also if you are using the eyedropper tool watch which pixel you take the color form as I noted earlier the compression on this images causes a strange blur of gray colors next to the letters "A" and "B" as well as around the edges I got 545454 and 454545 around the edges and letters which are not the true colors that are meant to be there.

Gamewiz

Quote from: cyricc on March 05, 2010, 02:20:12 PM
Yes you are right I pulled up PS as well and got 6c6c6c and 6b6b6b I think this is because of the compression used on this jpeg, I found it on Google images but the colors are still incredibly close and it gets the point across. Also if you are using the eyedropper tool watch which pixel you take the color form as I noted earlier the compression on this images causes a strange blur of gray colors next to the letters "A" and "B" as well as around the edges I got 545454 and 454545 around the edges and letters which are not the true colors that are meant to be there.

I know I was just being nitpicky. ;) The concept is there though and I know the original picture is correct. :) Just felt like being an ass lol

cyricc

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: cyricc on March 05, 2010, 02:20:12 PM

I know I was just being nitpicky. ;) The concept is there though and I know the original picture is correct. :) Just felt like being an ass lol

Its all good I never took that you were being sarcastic only that you wanted to be accurate.