Goosie's AI mod (discontinued)

Started by goosie, March 01, 2010, 03:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosie

Quote from: Diphoria on March 01, 2010, 04:58:55 AM
From there, they sent in armies and i'm not sure if its a limitation of the engine but it seems as soon as you run in with any force which looks bigger they do that weird dance where they take a step forward, then run away.

I haven't been able to find the trigger that causes this behavior but it pisses me off too. The underlying issue is that AI likes to send in small armies often instead of a big one once in a while.

Quote from: ooni on March 01, 2010, 06:33:27 AM
This AI
Thisone has horrible Early Phase but has good Middle and Late game. It doesnot consume a lot of resources early game making the overall gamestronger (but spends so little that AI just gets pwned by tier 1 rush).Haven't played End game with this AI yet. If the maker of this AI canfind a way to spend more resources if the enemy isn't teching andrushing then this will be a great AI.

Bad things about both of AI (a.k.a. suggestions)
BothAIs suffer in terms of moving their units back when they are able towin the battle and not moving back when they will subsequently lose.

Theyare too predictable. They never counter (I know AIs are still WIP butthis would be a good idea), in fact they have the exact same buildevery time.

I mentioned earlier there are strengths/weaknessesin different stages of the AIs, when playing v5.0 you will tech, andwhen playing against this one you will rush.

Good feedback, ty. The early phase thing is kind of on purpose.

I'm trying to script a decently entertaining AI without letting itcheat. ATM it is also very difficult to let it adjust to what the humanplayer is doing. So the solution is to give it a rigid, balanced buildorder that is unfortunately going to be very weak against certain typesof gameplay. None of the current AI can both beat rushes AND remaincompetitive in late game, they either rush and build low tier armythemselves or tech as quickly as possible and make a late game army(mine does this).

QuoteThough they are stillpretty easy if you choose to play in any other way. I mean why attack abunker when there are 10 SCVs repairing it, wouldn't Blizzard hard codeit so that the enemy units would attack the SCVs first? It's a shame,looks like Blizzard hasn't finished basics of AI movements/prioritiesyet(not even close). I hope they do by June.

I'm sure blizzard either finished higher quality AI or is putting finishing touches on it :P The problem with beta AI is that it's hard coded to play on "very easy." In fact, there's even a script file called MeleeAINotHard that overwrites basic AI with simplified mechanics. By default AI doesn't even build more than 8 probes up to Hard difficulty :/ Build orders, triggers, etc for higher difficulty modes are all completely missing. Only the basic AI functions (like building stuff, combat targeting, etc) remain. We're forced to work with what we have.

Gamewiz

Quote from: goosie on March 01, 2010, 04:45:23 PM
Quote from: Diphoria on March 01, 2010, 04:58:55 AM
From there, they sent in armies and i'm not sure if its a limitation of the engine but it seems as soon as you run in with any force which looks bigger they do that weird dance where they take a step forward, then run away.

I haven't been able to find the trigger that causes this behavior but it pisses me off too. The underlying issue is that AI likes to send in small armies often instead of a big one once in a while.

This AI
Thisone has horrible Early Phase but has good Middle and Late game. It doesnot consume a lot of resources early game making the overall gamestronger (but spends so little that AI just gets pwned by tier 1 rush).Haven't played End game with this AI yet. If the maker of this AI canfind a way to spend more resources if the enemy isn't teching andrushing then this will be a great AI.

BothAIs suffer in terms of moving their units back when they are able towin the battle and not moving back when they will subsequently lose.

Theyare too predictable. They never counter (I know AIs are still WIP butthis would be a good idea), in fact they have the exact same buildevery time.

I mentioned earlier there are strengths/weaknessesin different stages of the AIs, when playing v5.0 you will tech, andwhen playing against this one you will rush.

Good feedback, ty. The early phase thing is kind of on purpose.

I'm trying to script a decently entertaining AI without letting itcheat. ATM it is also very difficult to let it adjust to what the humanplayer is doing. So the solution is to give it a rigid, balanced buildorder that is unfortunately going to be very weak against certain typesof gameplay. None of the current AI can both beat rushes AND remaincompetitive in late game, they either rush and build low tier armythemselves or tech as quickly as possible and make a late game army(mine does this).

QuoteThough they are stillpretty easy if you choose to play in any other way. I mean why attack abunker when there are 10 SCVs repairing it, wouldn't Blizzard hard codeit so that the enemy units would attack the SCVs first? It's a shame,looks like Blizzard hasn't finished basics of AI movements/prioritiesyet(not even close). I hope they do by June.

I'm sure blizzard either finished higher quality AI or is putting finishing touches on it :P The problem with beta AI is that it's hard coded to play on "very easy." In fact, there's even a script file called MeleeAINotHard that overwrites basic AI with simplified mechanics. By default AI doesn't even build more than 8 probes up to Hard difficulty :/ Build orders, triggers, etc for higher difficulty modes are all completely missing. Only the basic AI functions (like building stuff, combat targeting, etc) remain. We're forced to work with what we have.

Thanks for the breakdown of what you guys have to work with. It explains alot in how these AI are functioning, and why they are behaving the way they do. I won't get my hopes up too much then on you guys developing a super smart AI, since the stuff isn't actually there for you to mess with. :)

What everyone has done with the AI is still fun none-the-less!

maxoxpower

great but i dont know why...but the terran cpu just create MARINE :( its just me?

ElvishSolution

Given the fact that the first version of the AI came out Saturday at about 12:30 AM, the devs have come very far in a short period of time.  As Goosie pointed out however, many of the AI commands that will be in the full version of the game are not even coded into the beta, so it will take a good number of iterations while the devs build up the command list to be appropriate for competitive play.
Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

Gamewiz

Quote from: ElvishSolution on March 01, 2010, 06:13:06 PM
Given the fact that the first version of the AI came out Saturday at about 12:30 AM, the devs have come very far in a short period of time.  As Goosie pointed out however, many of the AI commands that will be in the full version of the game are not even coded into the beta, so it will take a good number of iterations while the devs build up the command list to be appropriate for competitive play.

I agree. Everyone here (devs or just random people trying to help) have made significant progress to the AI in just a very short amount of time. I can't wait to see what the AI will look like 1-2 weeks from now. :)

maxoxpower

can someone test the terran cpu ?? because the terran suck in my games. they just create marine and after , battlecruiser

ElvishSolution

I have tested the Terran on StarCrack v5.1 go to the link below to take a look at my report. My report on Zerg AI is also available.  The Terran in v5.1 was certainly not a pushover, it beat me, of course it was T v T, and that is by far my worst match up.

Link:http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/ai-scripts/a-i-v5-0/30/

-Elvish

Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

chetjan

koolitseric

Both AIs suffer in terms of moving their units back when they are able to win the battle and not moving back when they will subsequently lose.

No one knows what does that yet, so you can't really complain about it.

ooni

Quote from: koolitseric on March 01, 2010, 10:15:42 PM
Both AIs suffer in terms of moving their units back when they are able to win the battle and not moving back when they will subsequently lose.

No one knows what does that yet, so you can't really complain about it.

Actually play version v5.5 you will be pleasantly surprised.

maxoxpower

why nobody cant answer me?? the terran ai really suck :(  hr just build building or marine 

cliffton

It does not consume a lot of resources early game making the overall game stronger 
Consuming fewer resources is never a good thing.

ooni

Quote from: cliffton on March 02, 2010, 01:16:38 AM
It does not consume a lot of resources early game making the overall game stronger
Consuming fewer resources is never a good thing.

It is when you are consuming less at the start to spam more higher tier units later or save enough money for expansion.
this is called "teching". You probably never played SC b4 so yeah, that's how that works.

Artanis186

Whoops, wrong thread. Please delete.