[Starcraft II - Beta Launcher by Valkirie]

Started by chetjan, February 28, 2010, 10:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFA

just wanted to say 0.21 is looking very nicely
val went to bed, and he left me to work on it

im working on cleaning it up a bit, while he is working on making it possible to select color, race, etc. 

I thought of maybe making it look like this, but of course its not certain
plz give suggestions

Misaki2010

Quote from: DFA on March 06, 2010, 08:34:04 PM

im working on cleaning it up a bit, while he is working on making it possible to select color, race, etc. 

plz give suggestions

no offense but version 0.20 looks nicer :( hope this one will have graphic interface. :(

Razredge

Quote from: DFA on March 06, 2010, 08:34:04 PM

plz give suggestions

Ascetically speaking, it'd be cooler with nicer buttons, background, could also add hotkeys.
The Upload Selected Map is... somewhat useless.
And the text could be a little more "clear type".

Bt

Sorry that is taking a step back imo

Keep the old interface

Put all the settings in the "Game Settings" panel under a "Settings" button

Done

DFA

thanks for all the suggestions, like i said, it was just an idea.

Taking out the background graphics was an idea to reduce the file size.

as for the appearance of the buttons, they are dependent on your windows theme setup.  My theme is set to "Windows classic", its the old win95/98 look, that is why they appear like plain buttons

As for the Upload Selected Map button, it used to be a combo box with Yes and No.  Val said in only a few days, 700MB worth of maps were uploaded!  So it appears to be a highly used feature.

Some good news is that val is making progress with race/color selection.

I have an idea to release a small update tonight but I am still not sure, mostly because the new UI is not liked.  I did feel that it could be better organized though.

We are trying to consider all suggestions, so it is mostly up to you guys if you want a graphical interface or plain one.
I personally favor plain as possible so the tool can be "lite" and feature rich

Razredge

Quote from: DFA on March 06, 2010, 09:12:52 PM
thanks for all the suggestions, like i said, it was just an idea.

Taking out the background graphics was an idea to reduce the file size.

as for the appearance of the buttons, they are dependent on your windows theme setup.  My theme is set to "Windows classic", its the old win95/98 look, that is why they appear like plain buttons

As for the Upload Selected Map button, it used to be a combo box with Yes and No.  Val said in only a few days, 700MB worth of maps were uploaded!  So it appears to be a highly used feature.

Some good news is that val is making progress with race/color selection.

I have an idea to release a small update tonight but I am still not sure, mostly because the new UI is not liked.  I did feel that it could be better organized though.

We are trying to consider all suggestions, so it is mostly up to you guys if you want a graphical interface or plain one.
I personally favor plain as possible so the tool can be "lite" and feature rich
I'm sorry, I didn't realize the upload map box was gone, thats why I thought the button was useless.

But I was thinking if you guys could make the AI 'skinnable' then. Users could make/change BG, font colors, buttons, and if you could possibly make the app run without the Windows UI. I'd think Starcraft2-like buttons would look awesome.

My programming knowledge is very limited, so I don't know if it's way too complex to make it possible and keep it a small file, or not... as you could make the skins a separate download, and a skinless launcher could be very light, memory wise.

For example, one could make the launcher to look like SC2 Bnet UI, like this (but with stuff redesigned, to fit the launcher):

dodongbadong

You make your best AI script "cheating or not"
and ill test it for you
- FREE-

DFA

i got a friend to screenshot with vista, check it again

DFA

Zezariz

Diggin it keep up the great work  ;D

Razredge

Quote from: DFA on March 06, 2010, 09:36:15 PM
oh well, here is a preview release

.exe only
http://echostorms.net/SC2/release0.20a.rar 308 KB
Just tested here, and it does look better with aero (as seen on your updated screen), and the executable file size compared to the older one, is really small, but I didn't check the ram to make sure.

But the skinning stuff... is it out of question?

DFA

skinning would be pretty easy to do

anyway, does it seem to run better now? i fixed up it quite a good bit. focused on cleaning up the code and optimizing it a bit

Zezariz

Popularity doesn't seem to change from map to map neither do the gold stars but otherwise seems to run just fine

Razredge

My testing:
- When opening the app, the new one is slightly faster.
- When loading map info, the new one also slightly faster.

RAM (both with same settings loaded)
New .exe: 13.088kb
Old .exe: 13.748kb

Popularity and rating seems not to be working in the new exe, as the old would show different values for different maps, and the new one would show the same values to every map (3 stars, and ~5% popularity).

DFA

Quote from: Zezariz on March 06, 2010, 09:58:48 PM
Popularity doesn't seem to change from map to map neither do the gold stars but otherwise seems to run just fine

i re-uploaded 0.20a, try it out

.exe only
http://echostorms.net/SC2/release0.20a.rar 308 KB