Gateway/zealot nerf

Started by Chain[s]aw, March 05, 2010, 07:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chain[s]aw

I understand raising gateway from 50 -65 to prevent destructive zealot rush when mized with chrono boost but i don't understand why they decrease 10 shield from a zealot? were they still op after the nerf? can anyone gives me the heads up of why they nerfed the zealots shield?

Gamewiz

Probably because of the infamous "pylon hidden inside enemy base" rush where they spawn up a hidden pylon in their base, then spawn up a couple gateways and just rush them. Zealots are the strongest starting unit, so if they get inside a base like that it's extremely hard to counter.

Kingdom

Considering a in-base proxy gate NEVER will work in higher tiers of play (might see it in silver ladder now if anything), Blizzard would not of nerfed a unit because of it.

Zealot was nerfed because in cost vs effectiveness, it was just too superior to its matching tier of unit. A single zealot could kill ~4 zerglings, 3-4 marines without proper micro, and in larger battles make retreating turn into a nightmare (post- charge tech). Considering the unit diversity, namely Immortals; they don't want a conflicting tank roll, but instead have Zealots be the tier 1 flexible filler it should be. Least that is what I would think.

Gamewiz

Quote from: Kingdom on March 05, 2010, 10:54:32 AM
Considering a in-base proxy gate NEVER will work in higher tiers of play (might see it in silver ladder now if anything), Blizzard would not of nerfed a unit because of it.

Zealot was nerfed because in cost vs effectiveness, it was just too superior to its matching tier of unit. A single zealot could kill ~4 zerglings, 3-4 marines without proper micro, and in larger battles make retreating turn into a nightmare (post- charge tech). Considering the unit diversity, namely Immortals; they don't want a conflicting tank roll, but instead have Zealots be the tier 1 flexible filler it should be. Least that is what I would think.

I agree with your reason, but I disagree that the proxy strat isn't a viable strategy above silver ladder. I just watched a couple videos of gold league where it worked extremely well. Especially in blistering sands. A probe can place a pylon below the cliff (near the back entrance), then go up the ramp and place the two gateways. With the pylon down below, there is no way to quickly take it out to keep them from spamming out zealots. Throw up one other pylon up top, and it's GG.

Kingdom

Of course a standard proxy is viable, though it is cheese; but an IN-BASE proxy isn't.

gg.sc2

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 10:57:25 AM
Quote from: Kingdom on March 05, 2010, 10:54:32 AM

I agree with your reason, but I disagree that the proxy strat isn't a viable strategy above silver ladder. I just watched a couple videos of gold league where it worked extremely well. Especially in blistering sands. A probe can place a pylon below the cliff (near the back entrance), then go up the ramp and place the two gateways. With the pylon down below, there is no way to quickly take it out to keep them from spamming out zealots. Throw up one other pylon up top, and it's GG.

It may work now, but it won't when more high skilled players get into the leagues. I don't consider myself high skilled, but a proxy "IN" base would never work on me. Ever. Even if you do the backdoor pylon trick. It's like your saying CANNON RUSH works in high skilled play.

Back to the topic; like Kingdom says, Zealot even without SC1's leg enhancements are extremely powerful tier 1 units, and too cheap to produce. Maybe it's just me, but in SC2, the mineral income is so quick by midgame the zeals mineral cost is overjustified by its performance. Those extra shield points alter the attacking power of a GROUP of zeals so much. Adding charge makes zeals incredibly versatile as well, seeing they jump to the enemy units. If their zeals don't die in battle quicker, you end up running away, and their zeals end up chasing you, killing off more of your units than you could hope for.