Idea for multiple AIs

Started by kblood, March 06, 2010, 09:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kblood

It should be possible to make the AI files player specific, right? It would take some code changing, but after that it should be possible to make AI per player, instead of per game.
It might not work, since it would require each AI file for each players script to be player specific in all 3-6 AI scripts. In the new Starcrack v6 it would require even more, because it will affect even more scripts. But I guess those scripts might not need to change since they are AI specific anyway, for now at least.
Anyone think it would be useful? Would it take more CPU power with that many scripts? So far there are no 12 player maps, but would be nice to be able to match up players. I am thinking the only real way to make this possible without needing much work done to each AI made compatible to this, would be to make each race specific code also being player specific at the same time. I guess it ought to be easier than that with the right commands. Maybe being able to make AI being called per player, but I am not sure the games scripting system really makes that possible. As it is now I think they are all global scripts, but this feature would be very nice to test AIs against each other. Which seems the most entertaining part of SC2 atm :D A bit like those robot matches people make sometimes. Welcome to the AI Colosseum  :D

kblood

I have been thinking some more about it, and it should be very possible to do it, by using the difficulty settings. I am guessing that could allow 5 AI per map or game. But it might still require radical changes to all AI that would be usable in this way.
I was hoping for some way to just call Race(something).galaxy and a Race#.galaxy per player and make that the AIs in use. Problem is the functions in each of those maps affects all players. Not sure if commands used before including these scripts could change that perhaps.
I still think it could end up being CPU heavy having several scripts running at once, and makes it possibly for many bugs to happen because of AI script conflicts of some kind. Would have been easier if the game was turn based strategy instead of RTS  :)

LAPIN

That would be neat. Go for it! :-)

Kernel64

I've had bugs where three AIs of the same race had to drop one of them. This happened in Metalpolis. I'm not sure though if metalpolis supports six players, but in the case of other AI's, everything was fine.

At max, only 5 ai's were working, and some of them had delays in executing certain script lines. This could be due the fact that battle was raging all over.

Heinermann

The AI is already player-specific, and we already have multiple AIs. If you managed to mess this up, then you obviously don't know what you're doing.