APM-Tracker / Trainer for SC2? (Suggestion)

Started by Lexus86, March 07, 2010, 06:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexus86

Hi there guys,

thanks for your tools, effort and engagement we all profit from! You're great! :)

One thing I thought about and like to propose is a APM-Tracker + maybe Trainer.
After watching some replays I noticed I obviously suck at APM, but also I need to watch each replay and let it progress to really see my average APM at this game. This sucks. ;)

So maybe you'd enjoy to build sth. that could analyze ones replay files?
I know such a tool was available for SC1/Broodwar! (Just googled around and found this: http://soisuck.blogspot.com/2008/11/guide-to-getting-high-apm.html)

The second idea is that maybe even an APM-Trainer (see above blogpost) would be possible, to really get rid of ones bad habits / inability? I know there must be another way then just "spamming"! I know I have to improve+increase my hotkey use for example, but there is still resistance somehow, maybe even because I played the cracked beta with EN (GB?) hotkeys all the time and now I have DE hotkeys...

Anyway, hope you like my idea and I hope it is ok to ask so boldly. :)

Thanks again & kind regards,

Lexus86
SC2 B.Net nick: LeXuS.lex

iounas

Apm is irrelevant.. Its something for nerds to talk about..
You can watch your replay and see it there..
I hate watching first person play because of apm spammers.. Seriously some guys click 10 times for a fricking move and just select random stuff for no reason..And worker selection at the start is annoying

Water

All of the stats that could be tracked in the Broodwar tool your talking about are built into the replay functionality of sc2. Just view a replay and find it in the upper left hand corner drop down list box.

kblood

Ehm, APM is at most supposed to be 100 in heated times of battle. Higher than that, and you are clicking more times than needed most likely. This is what the AIs does, because that is an attempt to make up for not being able to think that much ahead in an RTS game.

programm

Quote from: iounas on March 07, 2010, 02:48:30 PM
I hate watching first person play because of apm spammers.. Seriously some guys click 10 times for a fricking move and just select random stuff for no reason..And worker selection at the start is annoying

Just because ur noob and dont understand it doesn't mean it's for nerds... APM is displayed in broodwar replays, war3 replays, also here. They pay attention to it however it is not the main measure of skill. It isnt just selection...  The overall actions including micro if you have heard of it also contribute to higher

SC2 makes APM much smaller than war3, in war3 I get 200+ here I start at 170 then in the end of the game is lowered to 130..

iounas

Quote from: programm on March 08, 2010, 06:14:15 AM

SC2 makes APM much smaller than war3, in war3 I get 200+ here I start at 170 then in the end of the game is lowered to 130..
Well thats kinda my point of irrelevantness..
And you are just a korean pro wannabe noob if your apm is going down during the game..
Apm should rise during the game as the action heats up and there is more stuff to do..
At the start Im about 20,30 but when a battle breaks out I get 200+ just microing everything and macroing at the same time..
There was a tool for sc1 that measured real apm that excluded spam.. that would be more useful..
Seriously I watch a stream and a guy selects an overlord and then clicks like 10 times like it would make it go faster.. That is just a waste of time and a bad habit probably from having live apm counter in sc1..

Necromundi

If APM is irrelavent that would mean that a player with 0 APM would have a fair chance to win against a player with 200 APM, this is obviusly not the case.
It is pure logic that high APM is linear with player skill, although its not the same thing.

If you hate watching a replay with people that have a better unit control then you, and are able to utilise that unit control in said replay, then i feel sorry for your envious thoughts.

Because that is what APM actually is, the level of one players unit control under a restricted period of time.

Quote from: Water on March 07, 2010, 03:11:53 PM
All of the stats that could be tracked in the Broodwar tool your talking about are built into the replay functionality of sc2. Just view a replay and find it in the upper left hand corner drop down list box.
Did you even bother to read his post before desiding what he did or did not write?

He wants to see the APM he has during the actual game, while its running.

The SC2 replay functionality may be good, but not that good, it does not allow your to watch the games stats while you are playing it, only after you are finished.

Quote from: kblood on March 08, 2010, 05:15:29 AM
Ehm, APM is at most supposed to be 100 in heated times of battle. Higher than that, and you are clicking more times than needed most likely. This is what the AIs does, because that is an attempt to make up for not being able to think that much ahead in an RTS game.
No.

Quote from: iounas on March 08, 2010, 03:29:33 PM

Well thats kinda my point of irrelevantness..
And you are just a korean pro wannabe noob if your apm is going down during the game..
Apm should rise during the game as the action heats up and there is more stuff to do..
At the start Im about 20,30 but when a battle breaks out I get 200+ just microing everything and macroing at the same time..
There was a tool for sc1 that measured real apm that excluded spam.. that would be more useful..
Seriously I watch a stream and a guy selects an overlord and then clicks like 10 times like it would make it go faster.. That is just a waste of time and a bad habit probably from having live apm counter in sc1..
Are you trying the say that your keep your APM of 200+ after the battle is over, and just escalade it to 300+ in the next battle and so on?
Apearently you do, since you say that APM should never go down during the game.

Sure, there are people that have the habit of spamming actions that only needed to be done once, this is both for good and bad.
Bad cause it may take up your time from the actions that you need to make,
good cause it will keep you alert and your fingers and thoughts in constant motion.
It is up to you as a player to balance the good with the bad.

And to point out something, anyone that are playing SC2 seriusly would want to be as good as a pro Korean player,
and since you don't start out as a pro there will allways be wannabies.
Some of these wannabies will later on actually become proplayers.

The kind of "APM-trainer" the OP is refering to would be somewhat similar to a progamer coach.

Another note: your statement "... a korean pro wannabe noob... " actually means : A korean pro player that wants to become a noob.

The final statment i want to make in this post would be: Why are people discussing matters that are irrelavent to the OP?

iounas

^ You know what I mean.. Apm is just a number of how fast you press stuff.. And seeing that number increase by spamming move and hotkeys pointlessly would give false sense of improvement and there are stages of the game where you dont need to do much where players who care about apm do pointless things just for the sake of doing it.. All you need is good awareness and multitasking.. Awareness that you always know what you should be doing and not forgetting stuff. Apm will come with more play and muscle memory..

uber1984

you are aware that there is an APM option built into the game right?  It is pretty easy to access when your watching replays...

Or maybe you already knew this... but you want one to pop up while you are playing?

kblood

Just because ur noob and dont understand it doesn't mean it's for nerds... APM is displayed in broodwar replays, war3 replays, also here. They pay attention to it however it is not the main measure of skill. It isnt just selection...  The overall actions including micro if you have heard of it also contribute to higher

True, I am noob. Or maybe it is just that you are playing at the faster setting and I am not. Kinda changes the APM.
But SC2 already has APM in its replays for all players, whats the problem?

Skygrinder

Yea all those idiot progamers spamming all the time and getting 250-400 apm are just idiots. I bet ppl here are a lot better and could own them anytime but they are just busy having sex or smthing eh?
Blood for the Blood God

godspiral

Its confusing, because there are 2 requests.

the first, live APM tracking is best provided by blizzard, or at least after they release the editor.

The 2nd and key request is being able to analyze replay files.  If you can get APM, you can also get resources, harvesters, army size, score and custum stats like score per minute.  The value of such a tool is that you don't have to load and play through a lengthy replay for just the summary or chart info .

Skygrinder

Quote from: godspiral on March 09, 2010, 07:18:42 AM
Its confusing, because there are 2 requests.

the first, live APM tracking is best provided by blizzard, or at least after they release the editor.

The 2nd and key request is being able to analyze replay files.  If you can get APM, you can also get resources, harvesters, army size, score and custum stats like score per minute.  The value of such a tool is that you don't have to load and play through a lengthy replay for just the summary or chart info .

QFT

a tool like this will surely be made, unless ofc blizz incorporates something similar to bnet.
Blood for the Blood God

cliffton

you knew what this threead was about before you even clicked on it thanks to the title.  What the hell are you doing in here?  OP had a request, you coming in here to shit on things helps no one.