StarCrack AI Official 6.0 Feedback Thread

Started by turdburgler, March 05, 2010, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limonel25

Thanks for putting up a donation link, can finally give back!

Didn't get to toy around with 6.0 much, but the few games I had were great. I'll be sure to list my feedback on 6.1 in more detail. Only thing I could note is much more workers at expansions (especially Zerg as they lose workers via defense buildings). Good to hear about Air defense.

krixz

Quote from: turdburgler on March 06, 2010, 06:12:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's made an interesting read.

V6.1 is coming out tonight with the following fixes:

Changelog:
- AI will attempt to counter air units.
- Expansion code fixed, after taking out the AIs main he'll re-organise at a different location. He'll also rebuild expansions if they're destroyed.
- Chrono boost is in, thanks to Aeg1s for working this one out.
- Zerg will now build a queen for each expansion.
- Defence code has been improved, AI will defend bases depending on how much they're contributing to the economy.
- Minor tweaks to make the AI more of a challenge.

I just want to say thanks TURD. Your work for No-beta community is really nice.

Greetings from Chile.

kurupted

Just finished another lost game, got mauled by protoss from one side and zerg from another, bad timing I guess =P

...and cheers for the 6.1, awesome job.

Startrance

Just finished a game VS a cheating 6.0 AI Protoss, quite challenging, but still way to easy  8) best AI though, good work with the AI uppgrade.

Cant wait for this game to hit stores so i can play against other human beings  ;D
Terran domination

DemonStalker

So yeah, I was wondering why I was winning so much, then I realized that I never changed the game speed from Normal to Faster.  Lost every game after that.  :(

cloak123

Quote from: turdburgler on March 06, 2010, 06:12:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's made an interesting read.

V6.1 is coming out tonight with the following fixes:

Changelog:
- AI will attempt to counter air units.
- Expansion code fixed, after taking out the AIs main he'll re-organise at a different location. He'll also rebuild expansions if they're destroyed.
- Chrono boost is in, thanks to Aeg1s for working this one out.
- Zerg will now build a queen for each expansion.
- Defence code has been improved, AI will defend bases depending on how much they're contributing to the economy.
- Minor tweaks to make the AI more of a challenge.

sounds nice, alot of my problems i had are being fixed i see ^_^  i look forward to it.

creamsoda

@Turd

I'm thinking of playing a few games vs your AI, and recording them, then upload them onto youtube, so you can see where your AI needs improvement.

Or even better, if you could copy my build order from my videos.

Bodzilla

Quote from: turdburgler on March 06, 2010, 08:16:06 AM
Feedback seems to be around 50/50.

Half love it, half think it's too easy. To the second half, you guys have to realise, you're playing against what we've only been working on for a week, it's not going to be great against your walls, or your cheese. It might not ever be, we can only play with what Blizzard have given us and it's really not that much.

As far as countering goes, we are yet to find a foolproof method, we tried to offset that in this version by giving the AI a mix of units in his attacks. As well as making him build a good amount of AA in his bases. But it seems from feedback you're not happy with it.

v6.1 will come this weekend with the build orders fixed and a few other fixes I didn't get around to doing late late night.
it's very good as is its just they dont seem to build speciality units against air assaults.
I'd see attacks and 90% of the attackers had ground only attacks.

i think i've said attack far too much lol.
but yeah
A couple collosus a heap of immortals and only 1 or 2 stalkers.
sitting ducks against air attacks

crt

A thought on scripting, just in case you haven't thought of it.

To script countering, you can do the followings:

- Each unit has counter1-3
- Same with building/tech: counterbuilding1-3 OR countertech1-3

Detection:

IF detect UnitX THEN {
build CounterUnitX until CounterUnitX*minerals/gas > enemy unitX's minerals/gas
then attack
}

Of course it's going to overflow with so many counters, so just pick the top 3 counters, ie. giving each counter an index value as in CounterUnitX_Index = CounterUnitX+Index + 1;

During battle:

IF army's size < 0.5 enemy's army size Then {
retreat
}

This way you can let the AI deviate from the initial build orders.

student1432

I played standard 6.0 and saw great improvement from 5.5. I played Z v Z. I went mutas and interstingly after harassing one of the computer's expansion it built like multiple spore colonies on its base and expansions (i left to defend my base and came back). It seemed like the ai responded to my mutas. The comp actually massed zerglings many times and owned my economy by rushing upgraded zergs while i used mutas to defend and counter. If the ai went more hydra then spore maybe it would have won. I won eventually with the op guardians.

Servitor

I'm somewhat of a casual gamer, and it's taking some time, but I'm figuring out how to handle most situations. Most importantly, I'm having a LOT of fun and already missed a not so important meeting. lol

Is there a thread that discusses build orders and how many workers per mineral cluster? I've looked a bit and haven't found any. For any other casual gamers, who are having trouble you might also want to look at the build orders for some of the more experienced players.

Also use ALL of the little tweaks as they make a big difference (queen spawn boost, protoss chrono-boost) I overlooked them first and they helped a lot when I used them.

Thanks for all of the selfless and I'm assuming unpaid work, all you techie geeks :)

creamsoda

QuoteAs far as countering goes, we are yet to find a foolproof method, wetried to offset that in this version by giving the AI a mix of units inhis attacks. As well as making him build a good amount of AA in hisbases. But it seems from feedback you're not happy with it.

Problem is the AI doesn't have any defense AT ALL.

For zerg, make the AI build more spine crawlers.
Terran: more bunkers and siege tanks
Protoss: more cannons

The AI doesn't use much of its minerals. After mid-game, it has waay too much unused minerals. Make good use of those minerals by building defensive structures as stated above.

Also, try making the AI get more far-range units. Units that can shoot very far. ie: siege tanks (with siege upgrade), and colossus with range upgrade.

nestlequ1k

v6 is really a huge improvement. Played Blistering Sands half a dozen times. Lost 4 games, and the 2 that I won were by a hair. On one win, I had to use SCVs to take out the last of their buildings as they'd decimated my entire army.

Having tons of fun with it. Thanks again Turdburgler!

Schrii

When I play with 6.0, I still get that message on the side of the screen saying that its 5.0, is this normal, or do I have a problem, as usual? :P