[Tutorial] Re-Skinning SC2 Units

Started by random_user12, March 08, 2010, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

random_user12

• Re-skinning Starcraft 2 Units and Buildings
    Tools needed:
    -Copy of SC2 Client
    -MPQ Editor: http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html
    -Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin for reading .dds files (found http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html)
    You can use other image editing software if you can find onethat will open .dds files but for the purposes of this tutorial I will be usingphotoshop

Start by making a backup of the SC2 data file 'StarCraft IIBeta\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod\Base.SC2Assets' (should be about 1.7GB)

Now using the MPQ editor you need to open the file you justbacked up, it doesn't have the right file extension but it is in fact a .mpqarchive disguised by blizzard, so you'll need to select 'all files' in the opendialog.

Within the MPQ open the folder named 'Textures' and it opensa list of all the textures used in the game. For this example I am using thezealot. So find the Zealot in the list and extract the file calledzealot_diffuse. If you want to edit a different unit just extract theXXXX_Diffuse file of that unit.

Now open up the extracted .dds file in Photoshop and in thedialog box make sure 'Load using default sizes' is checked and 'Load MIP Maps'is unchecked

Edit the skin however you like, for this I have made thezealot a silvery colour to match the stalker.

When you're done editing, save the file and it should bringup the .dds settings dialog box. You'll need to save as 'DXT 5 withinterpolated alpha' and because we didn't load MIP maps you'll need to have'generate MIP maps' checked.

Now we need to import the new texture back into the MPQ. Goback to the MPQ editor (or re-open it if you closed it) and go to 'Operations> Add Files' and add the texture you just created. It will ask to overwrite,just click yes and it will replace the original texture with you editedversion.

Here's a pic of the edited zealot in game

Rain[sun]

Cool stuff!

For those without CS* you can get Paint.net or Gimp for free, both very good tools. As for being compatible with this filetype, google is your friend!
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Kevkev88

By the way one of your links does not work. Another thing, i managed to get the dds.8bi file and installed it to photoshop and it is in my photoshop plugins folder:

C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\Photoshop\Plug-Ins\File Formats\dds.8bi

Now that its in there i start photoshop, click file > open > zealot_diffuse.dds

Then this pops up:

Pretty gay...

This is what i get when i click your link:

-Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin for reading .dds files (found  here )

Duvigneau

This is awesome! I can fill my time with this waiting for the Galaxy Editor :P

I love how my new re-skinned game looks! Check it out!

On a more serious note though, WTF is this? :P
I used the Marine Diffuse and did exactly as you said (or apparantly not if you know this problem) do you know the solution to this? :D

Kevkev88

Since i asked first, i would like a solution first.  >:(

Duvigneau

Kevin click the following link:

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tools/texturetools/Photoshop_Plugins_8.23.1101.1715.exe

Download that file and run the setup, run through it and make sure it shows the correct path to the folder where Photoshop is installed. Finish the setup, exit Photoshop (If you had it running) start Photoshop et voila, it should work now :)

Kevkev88

I am uploading my prob to youtube, give link tomorrow, i need sleep now.

jenkinsdjtg

random_user12

@duvigneau - that happened to me a couple of times. It turned out I still had the mpq open in the mpq editor. Just close it and reboot starcraft.

jenkinsdjtg

Quote from: Kevkev88 on March 09, 2010, 07:26:47 AM
By the way one of your links does not work. Another thing, i managed to get the dds.8bi file and installed it to photoshop and it is in my photoshop plugins folder:

C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\Photoshop\Plug-Ins\File Formats\dds.8bi

Now that its in there i start photoshop, click file > open > zealot_diffuse.dds

put it in >>  Plugins/extension

Rain[sun]

i lol'd at the giant spheres everywhere, what in the fuck did you do xD
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

jenkinsdjtg

.... :D

jenkinsdjtg

does anyone know how to change the .MPQ editor to english

what does this error mean "to many channels to export (5)"

i made a pink photon cannon lol

How can i edit the  .m3 and .m3h source code files and .xml files? Do i have to convert Modula-3 before i can edit them?

Dauntless

Nothing spectacular, just changing the color of the Protoss Advisor... I kinda like him this way.

Kevkev88

Quote from: Duvigneau on March 09, 2010, 07:57:56 AM
Kevin click the following link:

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tools/texturetools/Photoshop_Plugins_8.23.1101.1715.exe

Download that file and run the setup, run through it and make sure it shows the correct path to the folder where Photoshop is installed. Finish the setup, exit Photoshop (If you had it running) start Photoshop et voila, it should work now :)

Ahh dont worry, i found out if i put it here:

C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\Photoshop\Data\Virtual\MODIFIED\@PROGRAMFILES@\Adobe\Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins

It works.. weird...

EDIT:
:D