For those criticizing a.i.

Started by r3ddrag0nx, March 09, 2010, 04:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r3ddrag0nx

I'm pretty sure this goes over most people's heads (at least the beginners), but don't forget that you guys are playing normal speed as default.

I hadn't realized, but the pace of the game is ridiculously fast when set to 'faster'.

Anyway, thought I'd bring it to your attention.

TheSaw

Ummm... no, we're not playing normal speed, you are :) Nice try though!

varial

hm. yeah i played @ normal speed for a while.
Is there a way to save the "faster" speed setting?
Btw normal speed is soo sloow ;<.
But when the game is faster it isnt that much harder:).
And, beter a weak AI than no AI :D

kblood

Its a matter of getting used to it. I usually prefer not playing at the faster setting, but after knowing what build order you will use before starting the game and having tried it before, it becomes easier to do it at the highest speed.
After having played at the highest speed 5-6 times, normal feels slow. I like to play this game in LAN with a friend, and my timing usually gets messed up after being used to faster and switching to normal because that is his preferred speed. Makes me focus on how long everything takes to do and makes me sloppy because of feeling like having all the time in the world  ::)
So I stopped playing at the highest speed. Because I would not want to make that mistake when this game is ready for LAN play :D In whatever way that gets possible.

Artanis186

Just so you know, an easier way of doing it than going in the options is pressing + twice.

Chain[s]aw

slower speeds are really good for starcraft learners to learn micro/macro/builds and all that. the more you get comfortable at a speed at mastering these aspects you can then increase the speed.... its a good, fast way of learning how to micro/macro and learn builds.... its how i learned when i was playing starcraft 1 ages ago...

i know a bit off topic but ah well im just putting my .00001 cents in worth
peace :)

blabla7

with the new loader you can play 1vs2 or 1vs3 against cheating ai if you still find 1 opponent too easy. And yea Bnet speed is fastest possible.

programm

I was just discussing that in Bnet forum and I realize now WHY ppl complain about the counters taking too much DMG. I was a long time war3 player and in Sc2 as Normal Speed I could easily micro, until I set the speed to MAX. Then what happened? Play vs Cheating on MAX, try to micro much. I know SC is a game of massing and Attack-Move commands almost no micro, but EVEN STARCRAFTERS complain that units die too fast, so I understand why the COUNTERS are a big problem theyve made extra dmg that kills unit even faster,.

PinkPanTheR

Hi there,
i'm not sure but i have the impression that the "fastest" mode is too fast and doesn't seem to be the current main speed to be used,
just take a lot of the workers' speed. Does anyone knows what sped are they using in the beta ladder?

-Sorry for my poor english, i'm trying to make it decent-

Astazha

"Faster" is the speed they will use in ladder.  This is the fastest speed available in the game.

I personally play on Faster but pause the game every now and then if I get overwhelmed to collect my thoughts about what I need to be doing.  This keeps me playing at high speed but still allows me to take the time to learn how to improve my strategy.

Frequently during those pauses I recognize a lot of the things I'm not doing, unspent resources, etc..  It's an effective teacher for me.

Gamewiz

I have always had it set on faster, and have yet to lose a game 1v1. The only time I lost was because I tried a 1v3, me being terran and they were zerg, and I restricted myself to building only marines. I lost the first one, adopted my strategy, and won the second game.

So in my opinion the AI still has room to improve, although it's definitely made vast improvements since the beginning, so I'm not saying I'm not grateful. I'm thoroughly enjoying the AI, but the speed setting for me wasn't a factor.

And I only have an average APM of around 70, so I'm no pro player.

Ti.sTou-

I am really not sure about what you guys are saying.
I don't think that ladder game will be on "faster". Just look at all the different battle report or the different streaming of live SC2 games on TL for example. Clearly the speed is set to "normal".

And as a reminder, although in SC1 on battle net the games are all played on "fastest" speed nowadays. They are not ranked game (there is a difference between games that are recorded, and ranked game). The ladder in SC1 doesn't exist anymore since quite a few years, and at the time, the games played in the ladder where all played at "normal" speed. Which, I agree, after playing "fastest" speed seemed very slow. And I'm pretty sure the ranked game for the SC2 ladder will all be played on "normal" speed (which is, in my opinion, a lot faster than the "normal" speed in SC1)

blabla7

Bnet Speed defintaley is the fastest you can set the speed to. You can also ask on Tl if you want :)

PinkPanTheR

Quote from: blabla7 on March 09, 2010, 02:31:35 PM
Bnet Speed defintaley is the fastest you can set the speed to. You can also ask on Tl if you want :)

I agree with that, i actually think the speed is set to "fast" on the battle reports, "fastest" seem way too fast

godspiral

default replay speed is always 2nd fastest, but battle.net speed is fastest.