SC2 zoom hack v0.1

Started by jing_K.O.B, March 09, 2010, 12:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jing_K.O.B

This is my first attempt at a SC2 zoom hack, it should look great on large screens ; )
. It roughly doubles the distance you can zoom out, and slightly increases how far you can zoom in.
All feedback is appreciated. Is the viewing angle good? Would a different pitch/yaw be better?

__________Installation__________

[!!!!Important!!! Do not use compression or encryption in MPQEditor]
[Always back up your files before editing them!]

Open MPQEditor

Open *\StarCraft II Beta\Mods\Core.SC2Mod\Base.SC2Data

Replace CameraData.xml in \GameData

Open *\StarCraft II Beta\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod\Base.SC2Data

Replace CameraData.xml in \GameData

Play StarCraft II

cocolapin

i'm trying ! thanks

OK so i treid, not hard to install ^^

i played hack zoom with ai 6.1 cheat

so my original fps : 36 falls to 19 :s (even if i zoom to normal)

hum, the hack zoom cannot be configurated like the original one, it cant be the same point of view.

And, it's playable, but i think that the original zoom is really perfect ^^
Ur hack will surely be usefull to create fun maps (you know like risks, towerdefense, pictionnary... on warcraft 3 !)

Organized_Chaos

Wow I didn't even know it was possible to hack the zoom!! 

That's one of the major things a lot of SC2 players are complaining about - the inability to zoom out a LITTLE bit more...maybe 5-10%.  I'll def try this out and let you know how it is -- thanks!

Organized_Chaos

Ok, I love you man, that's awesome... especially when ALL the way zoomed out!

The only thing I would change is the angle... it needs to be more "overhead", and less angled.  What values change that?

Also, instead of having ppl modify the base.SC2data files themselves, why not just have the already modified SC2data files for each folder available for download?  It leaves less room for error for the people who aren't PC saavy...  ;)

HASH

$ omaha }{

anybody tryed it online? or is the game checking it files?
- Someone is gonna die when you listen to me -

rehvan77

Quote from: Organized_Chaos on March 09, 2010, 06:07:45 PM
Also, instead of having ppl modify the base.SC2data files themselves, why not just have the already modified SC2data files for each folder available for download?  It leaves less room for error for the people who aren't PC saavy...  ;)

But then wouldn't it overwrite our Starcrack AI?

jing_K.O.B

Quote from: Organized_Chaos on March 09, 2010, 06:07:45 PM
Ok, I love you man, that's awesome... especially when ALL the way zoomed out!

The only thing I would change is the angle... it needs to be more "overhead", and less angled.  What values change that?

Also,instead of having ppl modify the base.SC2data files themselves, why notjust have the already modified SC2data files for each folder availablefor download?  It leaves less room for error for the people who aren'tPC saavy...  ;)
i would like to make it easier to install, however, as it's already been pointed out, that would override the custom AI. this is not a problem for some loaders with ai files in there own folder.

pitch controls the angle, 0 is flat on ground and 90 is directly overhead.
here's the relevant code.
        <ParamInitial index="Distance" value="34.07"/>
        <ParamInitial index="Pitch" value="56"/>
        <ParamInitial index="FieldOfView" value="27.8"/>
        <ParamInitial index="NearClip" value="0.1"/>
        <ParamInitial index="FarClip" value="400"/><!-- Should be at least ((max width)^2 + (max height)^2)^0.5 -->
        <ParamInitial index="ShadowClip" value="75"/>
        <ParamInitial index="Yaw" value="180"/>
        <ParamInitial index="DepthOfField" value="0.0"/>
        <ParamInitial index="FocalDepth" value="8.0"/>
        <ParamInitial index="FalloffStart" value="0.0"/>
        <ParamInitial index="FalloffEnd" value="8.0"/>
        <ZoomTable>
            <Param index="Distance" Value="34.07" Modify="1"/>
            <Param index="Pitch" Value="56" Modify="1"/>
        </ZoomTable>
        <ZoomTable>
            <Param index="Distance" Value="32" Modify="1"/>
            <Param index="Pitch" Value="48.5" Modify="1"/>
        </ZoomTable>
        <ZoomTable>
            <Param index="Distance" Value="26" Modify="1"/>
            <Param index="Pitch" Value="41" Modify="1"/>
        </ZoomTable>
        <ZoomTable>
            <Param index="Distance" Value="21" Modify="1"/>
            <Param index="Pitch" Value="33.5" Modify="1"/>
        </ZoomTable>
        <ZoomTable>
            <Param index="Distance" Value="16" Modify="1"/>
            <Param index="Pitch" Value="26" Modify="1"/>
        </ZoomTable>

Organized_Chaos

You only have to replace the Base.SC2Data file in Core.SC2Mod.  I tested, and it works...so you don't have to mess with the AI data file at all.

Are "FarClip" and "NearClip" the values set for how far out it will zoom in/out maximum?  Also, which line of code determines the starting value of the zoom when first starting the game???  I've changed all the ParamInitial values and it's had no effect.  :-\ It seems it just starts the game with the highest value you have set in the ZoomTables...

Anyways, GREAT FIND!  I'm thinking Blizz might not allow the modification of this file for online play, because when I zoomed all the way out I could see a LOT of the map at once, and this might be considered to some as having an advantage...the question is, how will they know???   ;D

A suggestion for future versions: It would be awesome if a GUI was made with zoom values that can be easily changed before a game...

P.S. Where did you find the code for this?  The original CameraData is blank...

jing_K.O.B

Quote from: Organized_Chaos on March 10, 2010, 07:15:20 AM
You only have to replace the Base.SC2Data file in Core.SC2Mod.  I tested, and it works...so you don't have to mess with the AI data file at all.

Are "FarClip" and "NearClip" the values set for how far out it will zoom in/out maximum?  Also, which line of code determines the starting value of the zoom when first starting the game???  I've changed all the ParamInitial values and it's had no effect.  :-\ It seems it just starts the game with the highest value you have set in the ZoomTables...

Anyways, GREAT FIND!  I'm thinking Blizz might not allow the modification of this file for online play, because when I zoomed all the way out I could see a LOT of the map at once, and this might be considered to some as having an advantage...the question is, how will they know???   ;D

A suggestion for future versions: It would be awesome if a GUI was made with zoom values that can be easily changed before a game...

P.S. Where did you find the code for this?  The original CameraData is blank...

thanks for the info on only needing it in Core.SC2Mod, did you have any stability problems with it only there? i had random crashes until i replaced it in Liberty.SC2Mod too.
and i did get the CameraData from Core.SC2Mod.

"FarClip" and "NearClip" are for when the camera is tilted, it determines how far away objects are rendered. both "Distance" and "FieldOfView" determin the maximum zoom, but currently, it will not zoom out past what you set as ParamInitial, but I'm working on it ; )

I'm working on making Pitch and yaw independent of zoom as well as bypassing the normal zoom feature to make starting value and max zoom separate.

Organized_Chaos

Quote from: jing_K.O.B on March 10, 2010, 12:55:34 PM
thanks for the info on only needing it in Core.SC2Mod, did you have any stability problems with it only there? i had random crashes until i replaced it in Liberty.SC2Mod too.
and i did get the CameraData from Core.SC2Mod.
So far I haven't had any stability issues with having the CameraData in just Core.  If I do, I'll let you know!

Quote from: jing_K.O.B on March 10, 2010, 12:55:34 PM
I'm working on making Pitch and yaw independent of zoom as well as bypassing the normal zoom feature to make starting value and max zoom separate.
Yes, please let us know if you can figure out how to set a default zoom value for when the game starts.  :)   I don't think the code is there, and I have no idea what code would be necessary for it!

Thanks again!

jing_K.O.B

I've made some progress on the zoom, i can have it start at the closest view, then you can zoom out. it's not the perfect or most visually appealing solution, but it works extremely well for gameplay.

____________________changes__________________
-reversed zoom direction so it starts with a closeup of your drones and minerals.
-set the closest zoom to a usable level with a nice pitch.
-made pitch static, like sc1.
-adjusted the settings so you use less system resources while zoomed in. (gives you a slightly higher fps)

apriores

You reversed the zoom values. :D Smart move.  ;D

Organized_Chaos

Quote from: jing_K.O.B on March 10, 2010, 06:08:05 PM
I've made some progress on the zoom, i can have it start at the closest view, then you can zoom out. it's not the perfect or most visually appealing solution, but it works extremely well for gameplay.

____________________changes__________________
-reversed zoom direction so it starts with a closeup of your drones and minerals.
-set the closest zoom to a usable level with a nice pitch.
-made pitch static, like sc1.
-adjusted the settings so you use less system resources while zoomed in. (gives you a slightly higher fps)

Hey, I don't really see how that's useful though... if anything it's worse than my current setup wherein it only takes one single click of the mouse wheel to snap to my preferred view (from a far zoom out where the game starts).

IMO, you'll never really need anything other than a standard preferred view for most of the gameplay, a slight close up view for nice battles, and a nice somewhat far zoomed out view to get a quick glance of more of the playing field.  I only have 4 ZoomTable values, that's plenty for me.

But, I'm lazy, so I'm still looking for a way to start the game on my preferred view, which is just one step below my far zoom out...

DFA

i wouldn't get too used to it since it won't work on battle.net