Complete Guide - Installation,AI,Maps,Cache,Replays(including your own vs AI)

Started by Xtreme84, March 09, 2010, 05:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtreme84

I know that there are alot of guides here but I decided to add my own aswell.
The difference between my guide and the others are:

1. I dont mess with the original Base.SC2Data file. AI-scripts are in separate folders.
2. You can watch your own replays vs AI aswell as downloaded replays right of the bat.
3. I only use Blizzards own maps, no hacked AI-versions.
4. All files are hosted at my own site (except for the Beta-Installer).

The files in this guide contain the latest StarCrack AI (6.1.1 atm) and Valkirie SC2Beta Launcher.
I prefer this launcher since you dont replace the original Base.SC2Data, its easy to just add new AI-scripts, it supports the regular maps and it allows you to choose race for both yourself and the AI (and the prefered AI-Script) before starting a game.

Anyways, lets get started!

1. First of you have to download the StarCraft 2 Beta installer.

This is the only file i won't host on my site. Here is a link to the torrentfile hosted on PirateBay: StarCraft 2 Installer US Build 13891
(You need a Bittorrentclient (i.e. uTorrent) to download the Beta installer)

2. Install the Beta and start it to update it to the latest version.

3. Download Starcraft2-Cache+Maps.rar and unpack it to:

Windows 7/Vista:
"C:\Users\<Your Name>\Appdata\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\"

Windows XP:
"C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\"

(The folder AppData/Application Data are hidden by default so be sure to enable viewing of hidden files before locating it!)

Note: You need a program that can extract .rar-files to unpack the files I post here. I prefer the free program: 7-zip

4. Download my edited version of Valkirie's Starcraft2-Betalauncher+AI.rar and unpack it to the folder where you installed the StarCraft 2 Beta.

Default folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II Beta\" but if you are like me you probably installed it somewhere else.

5. Go to the folder you installed the StarCraft II Beta and start "Starcraft II - Beta Launcher.exe"

(If the launcher wants you to specify a folder at the startup just choose your StarCraft II Beta installation folder)

Start by UNCHECKING the "Use Internet" box (It causes the launcher to give all sorts of error messages for most people.)

Now click the "Change maps folder"-button and browse to:

Windows 7/Vista:
"C:\Users\<Your Name>\Appdata\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache\00\11\"

Windows XP:
"C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache\00\11\"

Voila! The maps should appear!

If no AI-scripts are listed: Click the the button "Change difficulty folder" and browse to the folder where you installed the StarCraft II Beta and then choose the folder "AI". (Not any of the subfolders, JUST THE "AI" FOLDER)

Dont forget to set "GAME VERSION" to the latest one (Base 14259 at the moment) since the game has gone through some major balance fixes since it's launch.

Now it's just to choose a map and then choose the preferd version of the AI you wish to play against (Latest version at the moment I'm writing this is 6.1.1 and its included in the file). Choose which race you want to play as, how many AI:s you want to play against, set their race and click the big "Play" button.

6. Enjoy the game!

Bypassing the "Login-screen" and Replays.
If you want to bypass the Login-screen and have a look-around in the StarCraft II Beta menus (You can't play multiplayer but you can however view your own/downloaded replays) all you have to do is download battlenetgfx.zip and unpack it into the "Battle.net" folder located in your StarCraft II Beta installation folder.

Here are some mixed replays (I think it is Artosis replaypack): Replays.rar

Just unpack the file to "My documents\StarCraft II Beta\Replays\Multiplayer\"
(If the Replays or Multiplayer folders doesn't exist, create them)

Now you should be able to view the replays from either the Launcher you use to start AI-games or the regular StarCraft II Beta launcher (with the battle.net.gfx file applied enabling you to bypass the login-screen).

Note:
The games you play vs AI are also recorded and are located in the "Recent" folder under "Replays". (This only works if you load the maps from the cache folder as described in nr.5)

Note2:
You are only able to watch the replays of your games vs the AI if you have loaded the correct AI-Script. Meaning if you want to watch a replay from a match between you and a 6.1 AI you have to select the 6.1 AI script, start a game, exit the game and then select the replay you wish to watch. So if you update to a newer version of the A.I-script and want to watch an old replay you HAVE to load the old A.I-script first. 

Additional information:

The Starcraft2-Cache+Maps.rar is the latest cache file plus blizzards unedited version of the maps (located in Cache\00\11). This is due to the fact that you dont need AI-versions of the maps with valkiries launcher. They do however miss the added loadingscreen. The reason why I have choose to run the maps directly from the cache directory is to enable viewing of your own replays vs the AI. I do update this file whenever a new map or cache is added.

The Starcraft2-Betalauncher+AI.rar is the latest version of Valkirie's SC2Beta Launcher, all I have done is to add the Latest StarCrack AI:s to it (version 6.1.1 at the moment). I prefer this launcher since it doesn't mess with the original Base.SC2Data file, doesn't need AI-versions of the maps and has the option to easily add the latest StarCrack AI when it's released.

I would also like to thank all the hard working people who bring us these files and the ability to play the StarCraft II Beta without a beta-key, I love you all.

Support Blizzard and buy the game when it's released! I know I will.

RobinHood

Quote from: Xtreme84 on March 09, 2010, 05:42:07 PM
I know that there are alot of guides here but I decided to add my own aswell.
The difference between my guide and the others are:

1. I dont mess with the original Base.SC2Data file. AI-scripts are in separate folders.
2. You can watch your own replays vs AI aswell as downloaded replays right of the bat.
3. I only use Blizzards own maps, no hacked AI-versions.
4. All files are hosted at my own site (except for the Beta-Installer).

The files in this guide...

Support Blizzard and buy the game when it's released! I know I will.

Thank you so much! I have been trying to get my replays working for several days now. Tried a lot of different launchers and map files but none of it seemed to work. Thanks to your guide and the files/links provided I finally have it running. I guess the problem was a wrong cache. Great work!

And off course I will buy the game when it's released  ;D . It's just too fun to let it slip past me for now.

RobinHood

After playing several games this afternoon I went for dinner and as soon as I came back I found out that something is broken now. I didn't change anything on my computer. I noticed this when I accidentally tried to load a 1v1 map (Blistering Sands, which was mentioned as a bugged map). After this I tried the other maps and even another cliƫnt to filter out the problem, but nothing seems to get it working again.

I doubt the problem will be in my cache folder. I actually have no idea where to start, guess I will start from scratch and see if I can get it to work again (using Win7 32bit).

DanKoloff

Xtreme84, nicely done mate and it works flawlessly with watchin own replays, playing and watchin downloaded replays. However can you update this nice guide with AI 7 and the newer valkirie loader 0.27, because when i try to install each of them I got both playing and watching replays bugged :D

Skandis

I followed your guide step by step, with the only exception that I added strat AI 0.22 to the AI folder.
When I boot up SC2 (doesn't matter if it's via the launcher or the regular .exe) I get the loading screen filling up. Once it's full (to initialize the graphics) the client just crashes and I get a popup about which specific lines failed.

Doesn't matter which map I pick or which version I pick, the outcome is the same.
I used to have the game working with the original valkirie's launcher, but decided to give this a shot as I couldn't get the replays to work. Cleaned out everything since then.

FYI I'm also running on Windows XP 64-bit.

Wonderful support otherwise.  :thumbsup:

Skandis

Fixed the issue.
Apparently just copypasting the cache files before actually starting the original client (the one with the b.net login) was what caused the issue.

trup

hey... is this still working?
When i try to watch replays im able to bypass the login screen but i replay is too slow when i watch, it lags too much. This happens when i dont put the maps in the 00/11 folder...
But if i put them there an error appears and i cant watch, but things get a lot faster.

diesel

hello
i dont know why but i cant watch replays i download. i could watch my own replay vs ai just fine but when i try to load downloaded replays it just starts and theres just a black screen with the cursor there. what am i doing wrong?

eni12345

guys, im stucked at step 5. whenever i press Starcraft II - Beta Launcher.exe, dialogue box would appear and say application error. pls help me! i want to play sc2 and at the same time watch replays.

Kyrie

I'm still stuck at the black screen when I want to watch replays..
Anybody has some ideas what could be the reason? I've already reinstalled and downlaoded the original base.sc2data but it didn't work T_T

I appreciate any kinds of help :)