restricting FPS to prevent overheat?

Started by blood_hound, March 10, 2010, 08:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blood_hound

any other way to do this? this is one of the reasons i've stopped playing starcraft 2... it was supposed to be my past time when downloading but it keeps crashing and forcing me to restart... i tried the framecapglue=30 and the other one but it still kept crashing..

im using apollo ati radeon 4670 ddr4 512mb with a very large (copper heatsink) at the same time the cpu is in an open environment inside the house and near a rotating fan..

please HELP ME :(

edit:

if you are wondering why would my videocard overheat...

1st of all it already overheated for being overclocked, but the thing is.. IT ISN'T overclocked anymore... so i don't know why and SC2 is the only game that has that freakin problem :(

the Humans are not EXTINCT!!!

Nova

Clear all the dust out of your computer, especially any fans. Your temperatures can drop by up to 20 degrees *C.

Download speedfan to identify where the source of the heat is coming from.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

blood_hound

uhmm i downloaded it but i don't seem to see the vc's temperature? aux, system and cpu + core only :(

Nova

Speedfan reads heat sensors. Not all videocards have heat sensors.

Why do you say the problem is overheating? You are just saying that Starcraft crashes. Usually when a computer overheats it cuts the power to itself. Sounds like a video driver issue, perhaps.

blood_hound

well that's what they said, here's the original problem

i'll play any random map with the default settings (all maxed to high except post process) at the same time i lowered others to medium, i get 40 ~ 60 fps and 30 below during clashes, but at some other times, if im DOING complete nothing (like looking at my resources and my base) the game will suddenly hang.. then the mouse will follow, then keyboard, then the screen will show up black with some lines in it, at the same time the BG will loop. then it will resort in RESTART -_-

it happens randomly, even on windowed mode :(

my driver is updated to the latest 2-17-10 ATi Radeon :(

gg.sc2

Even if your GPU is overheating, it's not because of your FPS. If your GPU could go beyond 30...or 60 fps, that's because it CAN. 60 fps doesn't add more heat to your GPU than 30fps if that's the rate it can process at; but stressing your GPU above its limits does. Either you've got a defective card, defective mobo, or you're overclocking. Try another game, specifically one that will put your GPU under a good amount of stress. If nothing happens, you've got a software problem.

Nova

An overheating issue;
Have speedfan running at the same time as Starcraft 2 in window mode, and monitor the temperatures. Keep an eye out for problems as you start to reach higher tempuratures, around 100*C

High settings issue or AI issue;
Try playing at the lowest possible settings. Be on the lookout for FPS drops as you get further into the game.

Update issue with AI or Launchers;
Do you remember playing Starcraft 2 just fine at a previous time? - Sandbox or lower AI versions such as 3 or 4.

As gg.sc2 said, trying another game will tell us if it's an SC2 issue or your computer's issue.

blood_hound

@gg.sc2
im thinking that the GPU only gets overheated when you overclock it WHICH i don't do anymore to prevent any damage..

this is the only game that has this error, other games like LAST remnant, AC2 (not CRACKED!!) and AVP didn't have that problem just this... :(

@nova
i played at medium settings with some of them set to high, the CPU doesn't go above 50C im also guessing that if the game is set ALL to high that's the failing part.. i hope that the real release doesn't have that problem..

THANKS for the help guys! :D

cloak123

Just set your fan from auto to manuel and set the tempatures and youll be fine also
Goto mydocuments\starcraft II beta\Variable.txt and add the lines
frameratecap=60
frameratecapGlue=30

Nova

Try playing the game with all settings on lowest and see if you still crash.

If you find after using lowest settings, your fps in game starts fine, then gets lower and lower and lower, it may be an AI issue.

Report back please.

blood_hound

@cloak
i did try that a lot now, i don't want to touch the fan settings here it might get worse...

@nova
the AI is not the problem, it happens LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG AGOOOOOOOO before ai's roam the lands of the galaxy maps, i tried to make them dance on that day but it APPEARED like hell..

im really thinking it's the high setting issue.. i just set other things to high but this time i used "Starcraft 2 Beta" to do so... in a really weird case the Medium Setting fixed my Shader problem of not having Fires, Smokes and other particle Effects in game :D

gg.sc2

If changing to lower settings makes it more stable, and using higher settings causes it to crash, but playing other games is perfectly fine, then I'll have to assume SC2 on high settings is stressing your system. However, I've never experienced system failure even if my hardware cannot play a game. The game is just very slow, laggy, crashes, or just doesn't boot up at all. When you DID overclock, I hope you didn't damage the card. Even if you stop overclocking, there could be permanent damage. Why not try another game? Demo crysis or something.

Infra

Hey , as others suggested try to dust off your card. Also for monitoring gpu tempretures id suggest MSI Afterburner( http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm ) . You can control fan settings + monitor tempreture + over/downclock + modify your card voltage all in 1 tool ( it co-devolped with riva tuner ).
ps if you overclocked your voltage , be sure to bring it down as it gives more power to the card thus more heat generated.

blood_hound

@gg.sc2
i think solved, i was able to play a game in high settings after the patch 5 ( i saw the high settings bug fixed) i played 2 games (but the 2nd game the pc suddenly restarted, probably a geniune issue -_-) but when i was playing the first time, there were no problems, everything was smooth and the game even LAGGED but for a millisecond only then it continued

i have the same thing, my videocard boosts 2 ~ 5 fps of the games that does not meet the minimum requirements e.g. GTA IV

thou it runs the game properly, but the FPS goes down badly :(

we don't try to overclock so much since we don't need graphics boost, we need PROCESSING boost :(

@infra
the CPU is RIGGED with fans and a large FAN nearby it.. and it's placed on an open place so that it won't get OVERHEAT so much, today the PC restarted 3 times, all of the times during gaming but not SC2

1st restart was from my dad - Heroes of Newerth (max settings ALL the time, no crash no error)
2nd restart was from me - SC2 (in the middle of the game, it usually CRASHES but does not restart straight ahead)
3rd restart from my dad - Heroes of Newerth again (he thought that it might be overheat but he checked the pc and it was cool and fine)

i immediately fixed the geniune problem since it might be the one causing all the restarts. :D