[Starcraft II - Beta Launcher by Valkirie]

Started by chetjan, February 28, 2010, 10:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkirie

Changelog 0.19
- Solution name changed.
- Formborder fixed.
- Support Dpi sized fonts.
- Online connection check to avoid netframework error.
- You can now define Maps/Replay, AI folders (saved into registry).
- Online parts moved to better server (no more lags).

Still working on it.

blackghost

Quote from: Valkirie on March 03, 2010, 12:29:42 PM
- You can now define Maps/Replay, AI folders (saved into registry).
Browse buttons can do the trick here and be more useful :)

Valkirie

bustya

I'm getting an exception error while playing the game, which forces me back to desktop, but when i try to resume the game, it wont load up again.

When i press OK in the error message, i can hear the sound effect play right after.

bustya

Windows - Bad Image:

Exception Processing Message 0Xc000007b Parameters 0x75E09A0 0x75E092A0 0X75E092A0 0x75E092A0

theb0rg

Its a great GUI!

Though the most wanted feature in my list is saving of the last used settings. Preferably in the registry.

Vernam7

i dont like registry saves its an old way of storing settings, and mostly it leaves garbages you cant easily remove!!!! and can cause even windows booting failure messing with registry!

Hey man, my advice avoid registry, learn how and use the my.settings.x insted, just a thought....verion settings can be also saived and be upgraded to new ones after an upgrade if you know how to handle it, my.settings its a little tricky need to be carefully specially with your project properties and Assemply information in visual Sudio. BUT its more flexible in my opinion, and anything goes wrong you can still delete it is a small xml file, doesnt slow down windows registry.

handling registry should be done very carefully!!!!!!
dont be in a harry for new release, make it stable first!
dont let people pushing you arround ;-)

theb0rg

Quote from: Vernam7 on March 03, 2010, 01:04:50 PM
i dont like registry saves its an old way of storing settings, and mostly it leaves garbages you cant easily remove!!!! and can cause even windows booting failure messing with registry!

Hey man, my advice avoid registry, learn how and use the my.settings.x insted, just a thought....Video settings can be also savedand be upgraded to new ones after an upgrade if you know how to handle it, my.settings its a little tricky need to be carefully specially with your project properties and Assemply information in visual Sudio. BUT its more flexible in my opinion, and anything goes wrong you can still delete it is a small xml file, doesnt slow down windows registry.

dont let people pushing you around ;-)

Write to registry isnt that dangerous, especially when its few keys that are automated. I was thinking registry because he had already implemented something that way ish, but i guess he can go for some other storage like a .ini file. Most programs use the registry without hassle.

Vernam7

Quote from: theb0rg on March 03, 2010, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: Vernam7 on March 03, 2010, 01:04:50 PM

Hey man, my advice avoid registry, learn how and use the my.settings.x insted, just a thought....Video settings can be also savedand be upgraded to new ones after an upgrade if you know how to handle it, my.settings its a little tricky need to be carefully specially with your project properties and Assemply information in visual Sudio. BUT its more flexible in my opinion, and anything goes wrong you can still delete it is a small xml file, doesnt slow down windows registry.

dont let people pushing you around ;-)

Write to registry isnt that dangerous, especially when its few keys that are automated. I was thinking registry because he had already implemented something that way ish, but i guess he can go for some other storage like a .ini file. Most programs use the registry without hassle.

the guys writes his First Application? do you understand the mistakes he can do under pressure? Registry is Easy BUT there was a reasone microsoft created the local application settings, that ALL PROFESIONAL software (including sc) are taking advantage.

ofcaurse registry is a solution, done by millions of software arround, but hey Blizzard Entertainment Isnot a newbie! dont forget that!

when something wrong happened with Norton and Nero once and involved registry BS mistakes they paid lots of thousends of dollars to users for their mistake.

just saying that if you are gona do registry save DEFENETLY give me a FUll delete opotion and defenetly make sure that everything works 10000% ok before uploading.

i cant trust an anonymous starter programmer to "play" with my registry, hell i could say i dont like the idea that the applications requires Internet, i dont know what data he may receve from my system! do i?

isnt everything a game kids. ;-)

always with love.
V7

Gamewiz

Just store settings in an ini. That's pretty much the standard now anyways, and you avoid the registry.

theb0rg

Though i dont want more folders in my Local Settings folder. I think the most clean way is to put an .ini together with the .exe. (Through ofcourse you can put it with the Orginal Sc2 Local Settings folder, but its just a hassle to go there to change something so small.)

EDIT: With gamewiz.

Vernam7

an .ini could be nice:
but more diffucult to code for starters:
here is a tutorial to help you out dude  8)

http://www.vbknowledgebase.com/?Id=47&Desc=Read-Write-INI-files-using-VB-.Net

AlexALX

Sorry for my English, I speak it badly. Use Google Translate.

For the author:

1. I do not see the replays on the list to load a maps, how to load replays? Replays shove there, where the maps, see replays - no ... Maps run without problems. Such at 0.18 and 0.19 versions.
2. CanI somehow make that adjustment (the path to the maps / AI) was writtennot in the register and in the .ini file in the folder where to be .exe file?
3. It possible to add a function to disable the page that is downloaded from the Internet? This is very inconvenient and not very useful.

Thank you for your attention, once again sorry for my English.

adamdz

couple things

1) use settings file as stated before.  Its east, just read a tutorial or two.
2)  Your latest version makes my pc go into basic theme (no aero).  I think its because of the sound you play at the start.  I think whatever method you are using to play the sound is launching my quicktime..... (which would explain the theme change).
3)  Your app always says "No internet connection detected " for me, not sure if you can't connect to your server, or your checking method is wrong :P (I am wired, so always on).

theb0rg

I think you should (if possible) make the left 'internet part' retractable, thus being able to fold it in. It has a big width. ( maybe also save this in the .ini ?)

Also you should keep the 'default' Maps/Ai folderpaths, but keep the 'change' part.