[Starcraft II - Beta Launcher by Valkirie]

Started by chetjan, February 28, 2010, 10:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuiXonC

Hey all but probable mainly Valk  ;p
I was wondering if you could give an guesstimation about when somekind of multiplayer cracked beta version would come out and/or if its ever going to come out or that we'll yust have to wait for the real beta to come clear for everyone, and also:
Your the best ,-o-  _o_   -o-   _o_ HEIL Valkirie! xD

chikopaws

Quote from: QuiXonC on March 03, 2010, 09:51:20 AM
Hey all but probable mainly Valk  ;p
I was wondering if you could give an guesstimation about when somekind of multiplayer cracked beta version would come out and/or if its ever going to come out or that we'll yust have to wait for the real beta to come clear for everyone, and also:
Your the best ,-o-  _o_   -o-   _o_ HEIL Valkirie! xD

I think you should ask that to lazytown

anyway, I tried 0.18 and so far I havent found the same error as before..

Vernam7

guys as a programmer few thinks you shoudl fix in your application to become more profesional!

0)i know you write in Visual Studio so
1)change your solution and project name from WindowsApplication1
2)make the formborder of your main form to fixed single!
3)make it work with changed Font--DPi size, .net since version 2.0 has an autoscaling property by default make sure you are using it!
4)dont over do it with graphics! fancy cars with slow engine doesnt go far ;-)
5)in the end this allow players to play maps offline, why the heck do you want to advertisme how many people are using the launcer online right now, and make the application demant internet access all the time? and cause slaggy performance is slow isps?
6)if you want to add the allready ingame options to your UI do it in better way like an advance view, you have 1000 check boxes and 200comboboxes and labels for nothing!
you dont want to keep it simple fine its your problem, i just feel your talent is wasted in graphics and not in practicality!
7)make it work in all custom paths AUTOMATICALLY!!!
8)create and installer maybe?
9)dont release too soon version that fixes minor or major bugs, try more testing not only cganging arround the user background all the time.find one that works ok with you and KEEP IT! 8)

dont get me wrong its all just friendly advices.

Valkirie

Quote from: Vernam7 on March 03, 2010, 10:27:23 AM
guys as a programmer few thinks you shoudl fix in your application to become more profesional!

0)i know you write in Visual Studio so
1)change your solution and project name from WindowsApplication1
2)make the formborder of your main form to fixed single!
3)make it work with changed Font--DPi size, .net since version 2.0 has an autoscaling property by default make sure you are using it!
4)dont over do it with graphics! fancy cars with slow engine doesnt go far ;-)
5)in the end this allow players to play maps offline, why the heck do you want to advertisme how many people are using the launcer online right now, and make the application demant internet access all the time? and cause slaggy performance is slow isps?
6)if you want to add the allready ingame options to your UI do it in better way like an advance view, you have 1000 check boxes and 200comboboxes and labels for nothing!
you dont want to keep it simple fine its your problem, i just feel your talent is wasted in graphics and not in practicality!
7)make it work in all custom paths AUTOMATICALLY!!!
8)create and installer maybe?
9)dont release too soon version that fixes minor or major bugs, try more testing not only cganging arround the user background all the time.find one that works ok with you and KEEP IT! 8)

dont get me wrong its all just friendly advices.
Those are precious advises. I will apply most of them. To be honest, this is my first software using Visual Basic. The online parts is just my way to make it community software you know, like sharing maps, sharing players informations. Anyway I worked a lot on release 0.18 to make it less dependent on the Internet. I'm trying to add MPQ library to VB but it looks like i'm doing it wrong way :p

Darkov

And please do something for the replay folder, to watch replays you need to move them in the maps folder!

Vernam7

Quote from: Valkirie on March 03, 2010, 10:47:43 AM

Those are precious advises. I will apply most of them. To be honest, this is my first software using Visual Basic. The online parts is just my way to make it community software you know, like sharing maps, sharing players informations. Anyway I worked a lot on release 0.18 to make it less dependent on the Internet. I'm trying to add MPQ library to VB but it looks like i'm doing it wrong way :p

if this is your 1st application then its really great work, but details Must be fixed cause it spoils the entire application. at least for me that i am not an average user.

now why do you want to inlcude MPQ library, what are you trying to do? maybe you could pm your goal and i could help you out.

also making a "community" software doesnt justify the onlinde demand that causes slaggy poerformance and exposes your servers? do you know that i have Complete Access to your WebServer Right now and if i wanted to be a bastard i could Delete just Everything?

but lucky for you i am not! :D 8)

so if you want we can "join" forces and maybe create THE ULTIMATE sc2 beta launcer in the future. or just help you out with yours. i have a VERY BAD character issue i am very
altrouistis with newbies. :-\

blackghost

Disable the maximize button is the next version. The application can be maximized and looks nasty :)

$ omaha }{

- Someone is gonna die when you listen to me -

$ omaha }{

???

Quote« Reply #184 on: Today at 02:14:58»

i would sound like a broken record but pls for:

-map preview window
-map moding 'in flight' (this would make map downloading/uploading unnecessary and limit map downloads, so less bandwith use. you could add map usage statistics instead, so witch map is beeing used most and vs/with how many computers players like to play) - also you could add a loading screen background
-auto ai update from your server maybe if you like sych features so much

blackghost

Another couple of issues found:

1. Launcher displays instead of the online results, an error box with the message "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" if the application is started with no internet access.
2. No startup sound if the application is launched with no internet access.
3. Application crashes with the "Unhandled exception..." error message if the following steps are followed:
- have no internet access;
- run the application;
- select Download map from server;
- click on Download button;
4. Make a smaller logo image in the left area of the launcher (more space for further development, maybe race selection).
5. Liked most the old interface with a single panel (more professional).
6. If the application is started with no internet access, map and difficulty is selected and also the "Upload map" option is set to "Yes", the game will run fine, but upon any game exit, the application will crash with the "Unhandled exception..." error message.
7. Make also the application to be started only in one instance.
8. Make the application to automatically close if the game is exited.
9. Disable or remove the "Upload map" option, keep only the "Download map from server".

I can give you updated versions of the existing maps (nearly 20) with loading screens. I can see that on your server are also a lot of dupes.

Keep in touch :)

Wormbeast

Quote from: blackghost on March 03, 2010, 11:35:38 AM
Another couple of issues found:

1. Launcher displays instead of the online results, an error box with the message "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" if the application is started with no internet access.
2. No startup sound if the application is launched with no internet access.
3. Application crashes with the "Unhandled exception..." error message if the following steps are followed:
- have no internet access;
- run the application;
- select Download map from server;
- click on Download button;
4. Make a smaller logo image in the left area of the launcher (more space for further development, maybe race selection).
5. Liked most the old interface with a single panel (more professional).
6. If the application is started with no internet access, map and difficulty is selected and also the "Upload map" option is set to "Yes", the game will run fine, but upon any game exit, the application will crash with the "Unhandled exception..." error message.
7. Make also the application to be started only in one instance.
8. Make the application to automatically close if the game is exited.
9. Disable or remove the "Upload map" option, keep only the "Download map from server".

I can give you updated versions of the existing maps (nearly 20) with loading screens. I can see that on your server are also a lot of dupes.

Keep it touch.

I do have to agree I like the buttons better in the old version but I love the widescreen. It is a lot easier for me and others I know to use now :)

In regards to number 8: If this were to be implemented i think it should allow the user to choose if they want to exit or not with a check box or a pop-up message. If we wanted to play another game after the first one we would have to start up the launcher again and why bother with that if you can keep it open?

$ omaha }{

Quote from: blackghost on March 03, 2010, 11:35:38 AM

this one: http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/sc2-tools/starcraft-ii-launcher/ uses 'not hacked' maps and it almost works =)
adding this feature to valkiryes + custom loading screen would make it have no competition at gui loaders for now :)

blackghost

@Wormbeast: True about the widescreen version of the application, but the launcher can be made more compact if some elements are removed or edited like the big logo on the left side and the online stats.

Also for number 8, a "Close the app" pop-up could be implemented if the launcher is running in background.

@$ omaha }{: Valkirie can make a server where updated versions of the maps are hosted and no dupes are present. The maps should also be named "(2) - mapname" and no "f25c859ab437cd55d0b8e44db4406490f8956c67ab733ae7388c6e5e6ee5398d".

[later edit]: Also, activate a Quit and About tab below the application name. Nobody knows that when "0.18" is clicked, an About message pops-up :)

I'm investigating for further issues. Will let you know if something comes up.

$ omaha }{

well my idea is to store few 'base' maps and mod them as you wish 1+1 1+2 1+3 in the future teams colors and races :)