Question? Ask Here

Started by Myst, March 18, 2010, 09:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ringlas

Quote from: aggressivEn00b on March 21, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
how come people are posting stuff with the blizzard artworks? slightly modified only? isnt it against the rules?
If I may try to answer you.
"For the purposes of this Agreement, and in consideration of your agreement to abide by the terms and conditions contained herein, Blizzard hereby grants you a limited, non-exclusive, world-wide, royalty free, perpetual license to use the Blizzard Property to create drawings, illustrations, and/or graphic representations based on the Blizzard Property."
Quotation from Blizzard Entertainment's Fan Artists License Agreement.
We (I believe I speak from behalf of me and any who uses fragments from blizzard's art work in this site) do not register trademarks, we do Blizzard a free commercial and we encourage to buy their products. Piece. :)

aggressivEn00b

thanks for quick and explanatory answer, good to know ;)
however i asked about contest rules, so it is ok to use such arts in this particular contest?

Myst

totocows

Would you also accept an AMV as a contest entry, as long as it is produced by the person who enters it and that it is about starcraft.

badboy91

do size matters? Or you can create whatever size you want in 0*0-1500-1500px. Is it in the choosing score or all that matter is how the image look?

Myst

1.) What's AMV
2.) Any size as long as its between the stated dimensions already posted.

totocows

AMV stands for Animated Music Video. So pretty much it is just a music video about starcraft.

ItzMattu

Just a personal suggestion for #3...

I'm sure the reason you added this is because you a) want a download system for the website and b) aren't familiar with creating something like this yourself, so you think it is of equivalent effort. But, to be fair to people entering this contest, an entry for #3 would require easily 5-10x more effort and time than the rest of the entries, well, unless someone submits a professionally edited video of course.

Also, this is just me personally, but the time required to submit an entry like this is not worth a chance to win a beta key and $15 bucks. To be perfectly honest I would be very willing to do the job if I knew for sure my code would be used. Spending all that time on code that may or may not just be thrown away isn't the most enticing offer, and not a good way to go about getting quality code. Also... some problems I'm not sure you've considered with submission for a system like this:

• Submission could have backdoors allowing someone to gain access to your server.
  • Submission could have unknown bugs with uploading allowing someone to save malicious scripts to your server and execute them in a browser.
  • SQL injection vulnerabilities anyone?
  • Many more security and access issues not testable until code is migrated to your server...
I send you this word of warning just to help you gauge the finished submissions properly. I could very well create a bit of code that appears, on the surface, to function excellently and submit that, but it is against my morals to do such a devious thing; for the chance to get into beta key others might not be so kind. The real work goes into making a solid, lasting, product. Unless you know how to test and analyze the code yourself, there is no way of judging this unfortunately.

I do intend to create a video though. Looking forward to seeing some of the cool artwork and videos made for this contest, and I sure hope I stand a chance at winning.

Good luck everyone!

Myst

Yes we have taken that into consideration and have people on our staff checking the code from the people that have so far made that entry.  Even though those systems are not fully done yet.   
And yes you're right, it is a lot of work, but some people just may really really want a beta key ;)

ItzMattu

Quote from: Myst on March 23, 2010, 09:19:14 PM
Yes we have taken that into consideration and have people on our staff checking the code from the people that have so far made that entry.  Even though those systems are not fully done yet.   
And yes you're right, it is a lot of work, but some people just may really really want a beta key ;)

Ah okay, well I went and made a post on one of the entry #3 threads pointing out some security flaws in his design thus far. I'll avoid doing so in the future knowing you have people on the task.

Tresh

While yes, making an entry 3 is much more work than 1 and 2, its more fun, and im having a blast making it. However, sanitation is a whole different issue. While we can try to sanitize it a bit, proper sanitation would make entries 3 50x harder than 1 and 2, easily. Im going to just make a little sanitation, and will leave the rest to the staff; focusing only in the system itself. If while doing this, im harming my chances, let me know, please.

ItzMattu

Quote from: Tresh on March 24, 2010, 12:56:50 PM
While yes, making an entry 3 is much more work than 1 and 2, its more fun, and im having a blast making it. However, sanitation is a whole different issue. While we can try to sanitize it a bit, proper sanitation would make entries 3 50x harder than 1 and 2, easily. Im going to just make a little sanitation, and will leave the rest to the staff; focusing only in the system itself. If while doing this, im harming my chances, let me know, please.

If security issues like sanitation aren't included in the judging, I could whip up an exact replica of the mIRC downloading system in about one day's time...

So I guess depending on the answer to your query I will submit both 2 and 3.

Simon-T.

Can one paint instead of the "logo" a picture?
limpbizkit.com - the real music source

ItzMattu

Quote from: 4tyn on March 24, 2010, 04:42:31 PM
Can one paint instead of the "logo" a picture?

They want it to be usable on the site, so as long as you can convert it to a digital image I believe you'll be all set.

Tresh

So, Myst, what's the official take on sanitation? A must? Or something the winner and the staff will look at later?