Completely useless units

Started by ajax, March 20, 2010, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qqq66660

im a toss player and i think they should change the mothership's ability back.. the mothership is no more useful.. not even reach the arbiter's rank... massrecall,permacloak,and vortex.. is just terrible.. its samething as one arbiter just supporting ur army that cost like 400 minerals and 400 gas.. from my point of view mothership is really useless now

Joe

I think it is what people want/wanted; for the unit to be an arbiter. The original Mothership was overpowered and costed a lot of money. Nobody wants "super" units in starcraft. Get that crap outa here!! :P

RagingPolarBear

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2010, 01:04:28 AM
I think it is what people want/wanted; for the unit to be an arbiter. The original Mothership was overpowered and costed a lot of money. Nobody wants "super" units in starcraft. Get that crap outa here!! :P

Yes.

If you want super units, go play Warcraft 3.

crazian

Quote from: qqq66660 on March 23, 2010, 12:10:40 AM
im a toss player and i think they should change the mothership's ability back.. the mothership is no more useful.. not even reach the arbiter's rank... massrecall,permacloak,and vortex.. is just terrible.. its samething as one arbiter just supporting ur army that cost like 400 minerals and 400 gas.. from my point of view mothership is really useless now

I totally agree, there's nothing Arbiter can't do that ms can. and the vortex can get more of your own army if you don't control it well (and it messes up carrier's interceptor too).
But I don't think going back to the first one with blackhole and teleport itself is that great either, because that would make the balance completely out of tilt (unless it cost 3000/3000 with 300 build time, which is not even practical)
I think the best way is just....replace it with something else. terran and zerg don't have super units, so why protoss? and why, further, do people want a crippled super unit?
Platinum League, where you gets pwned

qqq66660

Quote from: crazian on March 23, 2010, 02:01:31 AM
Quote from: qqq66660 on March 23, 2010, 12:10:40 AM

I totally agree, there's nothing Arbiter can't do that ms can. and the vortex can get more of your own army if you don't control it well (and it messes up carrier's interceptor too).
But I don't think going back to the first one with blackhole and teleport itself is that great either, because that would make the balance completely out of tilt (unless it cost 3000/3000 with 300 build time, which is not even practical)
I think the best way is just....replace it with something else. terran and zerg don't have super units, so why protoss? and why, further, do people want a crippled super unit?
i dont mean the first mothership.. that was too rigged! i mean the first beta mothership with vortex, wormhole, and small timebomb....

iounas

Stalker is the worst unit right now because it does so little damage..
And mothership is one of those units you forget are even in the game.. Arbiter was better

qqq66660

Quote from: iounas on March 24, 2010, 03:20:59 PM
And mothership is one of those units you forget are even in the game.. Arbiter was better
agree with ya

RagingPolarBear

Quote from: iounas on March 24, 2010, 03:20:59 PM

Yeah, honestly the only reason to ever use a stalker is because you're forced into it. It's really the only ground to air attacker the protoss have. But they seriously suck. I mean, they're supposed to counter banshees but they lose to them.

Stalkers should either get a damage boost, or maybe have all their damage be generic damage instead of half of it being a bonus only against armored units. Really stalkers don't beat much of anything straight up right now, other than hellions. At the very least it'd be nice if they did good damage to reapers and banshees even if they still suck against everything else. Those are the only two units I really would build stalkers to counter. Against hellions you can just go immortals.

MrMagoo22

Do buildings count? Because if so I nominate the Terran Sensor Tower. I mean seriously, wtf? The enemy gets to see the circle of sight? What could they possibly been thinking when they included this thing?

Artanis186

Stalker, though my favorite unit (perhaps from personal bias), is a little weak on the attack. A more detailed list for me would have to be...

Protoss: Mothership - It costs 2-3x the arb and does the same shit, just bring the arb back. The lore's fucked up enough, just alter it a bit and call it canon and you got the Arbiter. Also, the Phoenix isn't all that great, but neither was the Corsair. The Protoss have never really had a very good air force.

Terran: Hmm, I'd have to say the hellion. I've never really played as the Terran, so I can't base my opinion off what I see, but Hellion seems a little weak from an outside perspective.

Zerg: Gotta be the Infestor. Only cuz the IT ability is so useless anymore. I preferred it in the infest building state, but that's excusable cuz it'd be nearly impossible to implement lore-wise. They're just too weak on attack, I suppose. It's been demonstrated at how useless they are in videos before.

berrykerry789

i think that hellions are the most useless unit...
Carrier Has Arrived...

ooni

Quote from: berrykerry789 on March 24, 2010, 10:46:35 PM
i think that hellions are the most useless unit...

O_O oh wat?
It's a must for TvZ and TvP if you want to do economic harass

MrMagoo22

Marines with reactor plus hellions with reactor is a great massing strategy that works rather well on all three races from what I've seen.

berrykerry789

well, i don't use hellions as long as the ai doesnt mass zealots or roaches+lings at me... (recently, it has been doing this a lot since i switched to 7.0)
besides, its much funner to micro with vultures in the original starcraft than with hellions in the new starcraft2...
Carrier Has Arrived...

Rain[sun]

Im a toss player but PvT, hellions get wrecked.
Ive only been hit by them once and they dropped like flies to stalkers, but PvT you generally see the terran going for a biobuild anyway

So far there are no useless protoss units, i cant comment on the other races.
I just won 3 ray rush games in a row, 2 with FE's. the one i lost was rather my fault, shouldnt have tried ray rush vs toss but hey

Phoenix aren't entirely useless, but rather overpriced and too micro-intensive for me. GBeam is useful in a couple situations but, again, my time and money is better placed elsewhere. I would like to see a buff to them but i dont think its absolutely necessary. I see their use, however minute it is
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage