Building CC/Hatch/Nexus Next To Minerals

Started by Whitak3r, March 22, 2010, 02:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitak3r

For right now I found a way to get around the "Fastest Possible" map solution. I wasn't able to get my Nexus/Hatchery to spawn next to minerals. BUT, if you downloaded the "GameData" Folder in another thread, you can edit how close you can build to minerals. So for now you can make a map with 50x Stacked minerals in 1 spot(or however) and edit UnitData.xml and look for

<CUnit id="CommandCenter"> and everything below it.

Look for
<Footprint value="Footprint.1x.1Contour"/>
        <PlacementFootprint value="Footprint.1x.1DropOff"/>
(originally 4x4 but I changed to .1x.1)

Then find

<Collide index="Burrow" value="1"/>
        <Collide index="Ground" value="1"/>

And change the 1's to 0's.

This way you aren't going to have to align to the grid to build next to minerals. You  will be able to LAND directly next to the minerals(Almost as close as you could with the Command Center Slide for those of you that played WAAAAYYY back in the day) Your SVC's will be super close and gather quickly.

Another problem is that the computer won't build next to the minerals( I don't believe, haven't tested).

You can also Edit <CUnit id="Nexus"> and <CUnit id="Hatchery">
And the FootPrint and Ground and Burrow and edit those too.

The only problem with these is that you won't be able to spawn close to them. You will have to destroy the original building then build close.  This DOES help for 2nd bases though.

Now if you feel like editing minerals to a certain spot on a map, and choose your spawn point there, you can get VERY close. :) Makes it very neat.

I know this isn't much, but I'm just posting this if anyone wants to mess around with it.

I'll post my edited file right now, but I have to un-edit all the changes I made so far. Right now I have all units cost 0 food, speed set to 1000 for marines, range set to 1000 on marine attacks(Quite funny watching marines shoot 50 feet away.)

Here is end result for Nexus, works BEST for Command Center, because you can lift off and land right away. Hatcheries and Nexus works best for 2nd base.

Dracogon

Corosus

Excellent, nicely done, so in theory if I modified the maps spawn points   to be closer to the minerals in conjunction with this we could have   fastest money maps? Might be somethin worth putting on my list of map   stuff to do.

edit: Went ahead and investigated the possibilities, looks like I can't   just put it all into a map for easy running, I would have to mimic the   methods used for the TowerDefense style maps   http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/micro-defense/ , which just tells the   game to run a different version of the game with the applied changes,

I know for a fact that you can't just change the spawning points in the   map file to be closer, it automatically places your building far enough   away from the minerals according to the game rules from what I've   observed when I added more spawn points to those other maps.........

I have gotten it semi working, heres how:

1. Copy the folder in this zip file to your "Starcraft II Beta\Versions"   folder -> http://www.multiupload.com/58M9RMQIR1

2. Use attatched map file (has modified spawn points to be closer to   minerals) along with a launcher that lets you chose what version of the   game to run (like StarLauncher)

Some weirdness, the CC and Nexus have weird collision, the collectors   have to go to the center of it, undoing the advantage, the hatchery   seems to work fine oddly.

Should see a result like this:

More edit: After talking to the helpfull people in #sc2mapster, I found out you can indeed include the changes in the map file, unfortunately the game patches over it in preference of the unitdata.xml in the version of the game you're running to make sure that maps cant make the game run with old outdated changes, so the above method so far seems like the only way to do this....