Blizzard lied to us?

Started by DragonBlade, March 23, 2010, 02:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonBlade

I found a   picture on google: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3625/3557742325_2fc8286b26_o.jpg

I found a video on YouTube and filmed by   one at Blizzcon when playing Starcraft 2, and appear as Local ...
but I lost the link: ( I would start looking for, and I hope to find him

twan

I'm pretty sure you can host a Local game as long as you are connected to Battle.net. (correct me if im wrong but it seems like it would be just lame if there was no LAN whatsoever)

Unholyfox

soo.. does this mean there will be lan? :)

RaTcHeT302

Are you sure that wasn't a Alpha - Early (something like that) stage of SC2?

DragonBlade

i am not sure but i saw a video on youtube(i said that in first post) at blizzcon and and all unit was like now but only some research was in + like the ability of Immortal... was research for that(immortals don't have the ability from start, require that research)

Draugur

Quote from: Unholyfox on March 23, 2010, 03:38:10 PM
soo.. does this mean there will be lan? :)

Blizzard said they were not going to add lan support.

Rain[sun]

If you can hook up to the internet, you can play LAN. Redundant to some but I usually only play SC with friends anyway, so if we can get LAN latency while living a thousand miles away, I'm down!

Blizzard said no LAN support but that doesn't mean no LAN latency, then again who knows what the picture shows. Could be entirely photoshopped, could be an early build
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

StalKer

As far as I know you can play LAN if you have an internet connection as Rain just said.

tattered

I remember hearing that LAN play would be available but would first require authentication with Battle.net. (Play on local network but Blizzard still gets to check if you have a valid account) I can't really remember where I read this, but I thought it was on this forum? Oh well..

Of course it's pretty naive to think it will remain like this, if certain people are motivated to circumvent their measures.

starcrafter64

This has already been covered. Sigh.

All LAN play has been disabled, to reduce piracy. Downloading the game, cracking it, and playing it via LAN.

All multiplayer games of SC2 will have to authenticate and be ran through Battle.net. This is clearly WAN networking.

Blizzard has stated the release will not support LAN, and they have no plans to implement LAN to a later time.

The game will have an offline profile for people who aren't able to be online, but it must be authenticated to battle.net the first time.

The photo is most likely an alpha screenshot, when internal testing was going on before battle.net 2.0 was implemented.

ItzMattu

I'm not sure you guys have the same definition of LAN as I do. A lot of the younger gamers are so used to the Internet, they don't realize that having the Internet (or a good enough connection) is actually a realistic situation that many event organizers face for LAN parties.

So just to clarify, having to connect to Battle.net to play over a local connection is not a LAN game. It is local play behind a WAN authentication wall. :P

This is also very annoying DRM because people traveling, experiencing ISP issues, or a number of other issues are effectively blocked from playing a game they handed over cash for.

starcrafter64

Quote from: ItzMattu on March 23, 2010, 09:36:22 PM

This is also very annoying DRM because people traveling, experiencing ISP issues, or a number of other issues are effectively blocked from playing a game they handed over cash for.

False. Look at the post above you. You authenticate once, and then the local account is activated, allowing you to play offline and not need battle.net for single player.

ItzMattu

Quote from: starcrafter64 on March 23, 2010, 09:41:58 PM
Quote from: ItzMattu on March 23, 2010, 09:36:22 PM

False. Look at the post above you. You authenticate once, and then the local account is activated, allowing you to play offline and not need battle.net for single player.

Do you have a source for this information? I'm interested in reading more about this. I hadn't heard of this up until right now.

Rain[sun]

Google it, but there are multiple sources citing the same Blizzard quote, so I'm inclined to think its fact.
I lost the link to it but, you have to authenticate once originally and then something about potentially periodically for updates or whatever else they decide.
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Dracogon

Its a system where you log on to ur bnet account then connect with others, this way, blizz thinks pirated version will be stopped. Oh yeah, local connections are possible, it's just very diffrent