Official NO LAN Support for SCII

Started by starcrafter64, March 29, 2010, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starcrafter64

As i've been strongly saying for weeks now, it is now official.

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/no-starcraft-ii-lan-support-official/

LAN Will not be implemented into Starcraft II, in ANY way, shape, or form. Battle.net must be used completely for multiplayer.

(Single player will of course still have an offline mode)

mineisbigger

the part that i hate the most is you cant play with people across regions

starcrafter64

Quote from: ProzaicMuze on March 29, 2010, 03:26:41 PM
Blizzard has trumped Microsoft in douchebag corporate decisions :ticked:

Definitely pirating the game now.

That's a douchebag attitude. You were gonna pirate the game to begin with.

mineisbigger

Quote from: ProzaicMuze on March 29, 2010, 03:55:52 PM
Why?  You want to get obliterated by the Koreans? lmao  (unless you ARE Korean, in which case I run away quietly when you're not looking. .  .)

I play with a lot of people in Australia and England

starcrafter64

Quote from: ProzaicMuze on March 29, 2010, 04:00:55 PM

I will buy the game and then pirate a LAN crack so that I can still play LAN.

That's the answer I was looking for  :D

paranoid

Quote from: ProzaicMuze link=topic=1497.msg14307#msg14307   date=1269896455
  I will buy the game and then pirate a LAN crack so   that I can still play LAN.

Then this will have no influence on Blizzard and game companies in   general.
    If you don't want LAN support to disappear, you shouldn't buy the game   and tell blizzard why you are not buying it.

And I agree on the impossibility of cross-region playing. It's stupid.
    One should be able to play with anyone in the world, even if it requires   a gateway change like in Warcraft 3.

Linus

Quote from: paranoid on March 29, 2010, 04:49:13 PM

Then this will have no influence on Blizzard and game companies in   general.
    If you don't want LAN support to disappear, you shouldn't buy the game   and tell blizzard why you are not buying it.

we all know this is never going to happen. just look at all those Left 4 Dead players who said they wouldn't buy l4d2, and then 90% of them ended up playing on the day it came out.

It would be an amazingly big fuck you to blizzard if the korean pro-gamers started running their tournaments on a LAN crack, though. Now THAT I would like to see.

Rain[sun]

And then get smacked by the long dick of anti-piracy laws.
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Hades

Quote from: ProzaicMuze on March 29, 2010, 04:00:55 PMI am by no means a person who pirates with great frequency.  If you take that to mean I'm pirating the game so I don't have to pay then let me rephrase that:

I will buy the game and then pirate a LAN crack so that I can still play LAN.

Hahaha... love that shit ;)

Rain[sun]

Speak for yourself, I'm part of a definite NA majority who wouldn't have used LAN anyway, and I'm stoked bnet is getting a massive overhaul. Something it majorly needed, I'm now a happy customer and gained support for Blizz.
I'm happy, and so are the few friends who have shared their opinions, that blizz is "forcing" people to use bnet for everything; quicker games, less possiblity of lag due to a wider range of gamers to play with and no smurfing. I hated seeing people make a new account just so they could fuck with you(even though i did it from time to time).

Also, your rant is unneeded because my post wasn't directed at your monologues. It was directed at the post about Koreans making pirate-tournaments; something that would easily be covered by law and mushroom-stamped by Blizz's lawyers.

Oh. Fun fact about your drug analogy. You can't "pirate" drugs as the government doesn't sell them, and the issue is COMPLETELY different. There is profit to be made, so it grows. Take away the profit and it dies, and then you have piracy. Piracy is directly taking money away from a company, where runnin and dealin just cost you money cause theres no where else to get it

starcrafter64

When SC2 beta came out, I played SC1 again religiously for a month. The lag was sick, and 3 out of 4 games i tried to join had the error "Cannot join the game, latency is too high".

I can honestly say after playing SC2 beta for 6 hours last night, Each game only took 1 minute to queue up for, and each game was virtually lag free. I am 100% confident with Battle.net 2.0 and it's ability to deliver low latency games for me and my friends. My connection is only 5mb down 1.5mb up, which is relatively cheap. If I get more friends with keys, I will host a gaming night one weekend and see what happens when 2 or 4 people are trying to play at once.

I support blizz in their goal to make Bnet 2.0 the standard source of multiplayer gaming.

Rain[sun]

What he said. I didn't even have lat problems on SC1 but I did get it like one game every other time id play or so, and ive yet to get even dropped on SC2 like a lot of people are.

gskellig

What about the few of us that want to play SC2 multiplayer without an internet connection?
The most fun I've ever had playing the original starcraft is while setting up a network for a school in Guatemala, all of the students on the trip had a starcraft night.

No internet. One starcraft CD (spawn) and a bunch of high school geeks playing on pentium 3's that were donated the next day. (with starcraft uninstalled of course)

Will pirate a LAN if it exists. For sure.

Rain[sun]

I don't think I completely agree, I don't pretend to be a pro but if it were based on the people online then wouldn't lag be consistent rather than sporadic as it is? I figured (like every single other game ive played on 360,ps3,pc) its based off of the person who you're connecting TO. I could be wrong but, thats the only way I can explain getting lag one game then LAN-like latency the next. Plus with MMO's aren't you playing with everyone at the same time, given the possibility they could appear near you at any moment? Meaning its all like, pre-rendered or some shit? At least SC2 will be a lot smaller in scale and thus easier to regulate

Examples that prove your point are fun, but Spore was only a quarter of the DL's as Modern Warfare 2, Sims 3, and I'm pretty sure Prototype, and they didn't offer anything cracked than they would have if they had been bought in store, except for the money involved.

And you hit the issue right on gskellig. Few of us. Blizz is definitely right in thinking LAN players are a minority nowadays; the only LAN people they care about anymore are the korean geeks who call SC a sport but I'm sure they didn't forget about them and have yet to reveal their plan.

edit: Fun fact, Sims 3 was downloaded almost 200k times before release. This is pretty much identical to people playing a cracked version of the beta; I did it but that doesn't mean you aren't a pirate by any means, given that a majority of people on this site would probably DL a cracked version to play with friends over the retail version

Hero_Lief

Quote from: mineisbigger on March 29, 2010, 03:45:42 PM
the part that i hate the most is you cant play with people across regions

This is only in the current state of the BETA. They plan to release realm-changing soon in the BETA, and if not, it'll be in the retail version.