Main Menu

i need help please

Started by booyaz1988, April 03, 2010, 03:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booyaz1988

im having trouble launching starcraft 2...

when i click on 'play' i have a message saying that lazy launcher is stoping working

would sum1 help me?

thanks

wormwood88

I'm actually having the same problem. I got me a beta key today, started up SC2, updated the new patch (patch 9 I believe) and then pressed "Play". The game launches, I see the striped loading bar, and at the end when the backdrop changes (when I should see the login screen), the game stops responding, and it has to close:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/994/utennavnd.png

The error message is in Norwegian, but basically it reads:

"StarCraft II has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working as it should. The program will be closed, and you will be informed if there is a sollution available."

I had already downloaded the beta client before to play it offline with the AllInOne launcher, and launching the normal way never caused a problem for me, nor did launching the allinone launcher. It seems to be a probem that occured after patch 9 was installed.

However, all the problems I'm reading other people are experiencing is the updater loopback (which I also had, I decided to simply uninstall the client and re-download/re-install the client, and didn't get the loop anymore), and battle.net being down.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I was pretty fired up after finally getting my hands on a beta key.

Thanks in advance.

Drew1231

Don't worry it is not working for those of us in the beta either... server resets.

wormwood88

So the game is crashing for everyone? I find that hard to believe, considering most people only complain about the loopback update and bnet being down.

gfxdreams

wish that I could help you, but I just started out getting everything to play. Hope you find your answer! :'(

wormwood88

This was posted in a thread on the sc2 general forum, where someone is experiencing the same problem:

A technical friend of mine found out that game is   crashing because it wont update past v5. It looks like the launcher   updated and with version 1533 the patches get messed up. 
And i had to reinstall the game because first of all the launcher   wouldnt even start with patching patch 9. 

(Launcher log) 
#----------------------------------------------------------- 
# System started at 2010-04-23 13:54:46.0072 
# system: PC 
13:54:46.0078 Launcher version 2.1.2.1406 

# System started at 2010-04-23 13:54:54.4367 
# system: PC 
13:54:54.4370 Launcher version 2.1.2.1533 
13:55:11.5806 Time-out while loading patch notes from   'http://www.starcraft2.com/launcher/patch-notes.htm' 
13:57:11.7216 Time-out while loading patch notes from   'http://www.starcraft2.com/launcher/patch-notes.htm' 
13:58:46.8800 Time-out while loading patch notes from   'http://www.starcraft2.com/launcher/patch-notes.htm' 
13:59:57.3840 Failed to retrieve version information from   Battle.net.                   

---

However, no means to fix this has been posted there yet.

wormwood88

Ok, I finally figured it out, and thought I might as well share my findings with anyone else who has been as frustrated as I was with this problem.

I had installed the beta client on both my laptop and my old stationary computer, and after failing multiple times on my laptop to make it work after updating to patch 9, I thought I'd check if the same problem occured on my other computer. It didn't. It worked fine.

So, I thought this may be because I didn't download the client I've got installed on my stationary computer from battle.net, I downloaded it from a torrent I found using google (from before I got my beta key).
I then uninstalled SC2 beta, found the torrent and downloaded the US client (slightly older version, from february or so), and installed it. Took a while to update it, but once update finished, I launched it, and it didn't crash.

Another thing to note is the loading bar is different from the version that does crash. The enGB client I downloaded from account management on battle.net was striped, while the enUS client I downloaded via a torrent had a solid colored loading bar.

Anyhoo, due to some patch problems, I got nowhere with logging in via the client when using the regular launcher, but as with many others, launching via the SC2Switcher.exe in the SC2 beta\support\ folder worked, and I now get the correct message when trying to log on to my battle.net account via the SC2 beta launcher, which is that battle.net is currently down, undergoing maintenance.

So now I've just got to wait until Blizz fixes the servers, and I'm good to go.

TL;DR - enGB client downloaded from battle.net account management page is broken and causes the game to crash when launching it, after finished loading. Use the enUS client and it should work.

Hope this helped.