Understanding the AI

Started by AlsoKnownAs, April 07, 2010, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd

While this is a forum for helping people develop AI's, what's the point in making one if someone else is actually doing the work for you? I can understand if you can't find a const or are trying to figure out how a blizzard function properly operates but to consistently ask people to essentially write code for you is pretty counter productive for everyone else.

Kernel64

Indeed. TBH, my gripe is when people don't share, at least promise to give credit, nor simply just offer to group up with someone.

Nonetheless, I trust in the process, in that maybe, just maybe, someone might just get a good solution figured out, a module or something that he/she would share now, or eventually when it's working.

AKA, you can always scan through HexBox AI, it contains the stuff you are looking for. They are prototypes, but you can add a few lines and it's all done.

Controlling armies is much like the MutaControlTest function. Determining units is there in IsThereEnemysWithinRange function.

It's all there, but I understand that it takes time to learn how things work. Maybe throw in a few thanks here and there, that should be enough for me. It makes me feel confident that somehow, I'm not operating with a knife poised at my kidneys, and that someday, we might actually be able to create a decent AI separately, or together even if there wasn't an official agreement.

After all, it's the same engine and there's only much about it we can do ATM.

Thanks.

AlsoKnownAs

hd,

So here comes the "pros" eh? I believe you do assume that everyone has the same amount of knowledge or perhaps who has dedicated that amount of time as you do, judging on the statement that you've made.

If I've not recalled wrongly, I think I've only started posting on this forum a couple of days ago, read through the entire Base.SC2Data just to know that "pros" here are quite holistic. My purpose in asking is not to leech on your "valuable" knowledge, but instead to create awareness among those others who may be developing as well, who knows they need the exact thing that I do but don't know where to find within your prototype codes (Worst case, where they don't understand at all). I've made another thread in the section AI Scripts saying that I would post my AI once its done, what's the purpose of posting an AI which does nothing much but to build and attack?

I guess you guys are pretty much aware that there are more viewers then those who actually make concrete replies, I don't wish to argue with any of you, but if you don't feel like helping, then that's fine, it's only a matter of time that I'll figure it out myself, I just wish that you people would help speed up my development so that I could share it with fans of SC2.

P.S. Whichever/whatever code that I may implement within my AI which is from someone else, I would directly state that it is indeed from that person and not from myself.

kernel64,

Thanks for replying in this thread, I'm looking through some other AI at the moment, heard they said that chinese modders had some new stuff in their AI, thanks a bunch  :D .

Kernel64

Yeah, dude, I will check them out. I wish I had their link or something, my pain though is that most AIs are not compatible with my approach.

I do believe though that in time, there will be more things to get a grasp about, and specifically the XML part of unit control, much like the reapers found in Blizzard's code.

It's very exciting. I'll give you a heads up if ever I find the time and get a decent and extensive squad control function up.

It's only a matter of time that all these AIs will be taken apart and built into one AI, and it might just be your project. That's it. I'll post on this thread as soon as I get something up and running.

Cheers!

hd

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15655#msg15655   date=1270888141hd,

So here comes the "pros" eh? I believe you do   assume that everyone has the same amount of knowledge or perhaps who   has dedicated that amount of time as you do, judging on the statement   that you've made.

The only one assuming things is you. This has nothing to do with "pros"   or not. No one is a "pro" at AI scripting in Galaxy yet. Do you always   throw a fit like this?

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs   link=topic=1612.msg15655#msg15655   date=1270888141If I've not recalled wrongly, I think I've only started   posting on this forum a couple of days ago, read through the entire   Base.SC2Data just to know that "pros" here are quite holistic.

For someone who read through the entirety of the Base.SC2Data MPQ, you   sure seem to know very little. Furthermore, how does that make anyone   holistic? No one stated anything about anything being "more" than the   sum of it's parts. Quite the contrary, actually.

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15655#msg15655   date=1270888141My purpose in asking is not to leech on your "valuable"   knowledge, but instead to create awareness among those others who may be   developing as well, who knows they need the exact thing that I do but   don't know where to find within your prototype codes (Worst case, where   they don't understand at all).

Asking "is it possible to do [insert whatever here]" or "can the galaxy   scripting engine handle [insert whatever here]" is one thing. Asking   "how do I do [whatever]" is something else entirely. You are asking   people to solve your problem. If everyone spent their time solving the   problems of everyone else, they would never get anything done. Get the   fuck over yourself. Just because you're "developing an AI" doesn't make   you special. No one is going to bend over backwards to help you. If you   can't figure out how to do something within the limitations of your   knowledge, then get more knowledge. Don't ask someone else to do it for   you, jackass.

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15655#msg15655   date=1270888141I've made another thread in the section AI Scripts   saying that I would post my AI once its done, what's the purpose of   posting an AI which does nothing much but to build and attack?

No one really cares if you're going to post your AI or not. If you don't   post it, no one will ever play it, thus it would make no difference, if   you do post it so people can play it, all of your code becomes   available to everyone anyways. This isn't some popularity contest. No   one is hitting F5 over and over waiting for your AI to be released.   Hell, you're probably just ripping off the AI someone else developed   anyways.

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs   link=topic=1612.msg15655#msg15655   date=1270888141I guess you guys are pretty much aware that there are   more viewers then those who actually make concrete replies, I don't wish   to argue with any of you, but if you don't feel like helping, then   that's fine, it's only a matter of time that I'll figure it out   myself,

Don't feel like helping? Helping isn't doing your work or solving your   problems for you. Helping is pointing you in the right direction, which   we've already done. Who in the fuck do you think you are? You're just   another one of the many people who are "working" on an AI. You'll   probably give up in a few weeks and even if you don't, your "AI" will   most likely have no affect on the SC2 modding community.

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15655#msg15655   date=1270888141I just wish that you people would help speed up my   development so that I could share it with fans of SC2.

We should speed up YOUR development? What about OUR development? Again,   what makes you so special that you should get any sort of priority over   anyone else? In fact, thus far you've contributed nothing to the "fans"   of SC2. Everyone else here has. Arrogant prick.

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15463#msg15463   date=1270724287how do i make a unit wanders   around an opponent's base instead of running around the whole   map?
Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15563#msg15563   date=1270810085How do I check the status of a building (e.g. whether   its being build, and when it's creating a unit)
Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15585#msg15585   date=1270823238how do I get the composition of units in a wave?
Quote from: AlsoKnownAs link=topic=1612.msg15599#msg15599   date=1270830700how do I make a count of units that I'm currently   engaged in battle for a specific wave?

AlsoKnownAs

Ok look hd, I'm not here to spark fire or something, I'm in a team and I'm just trying to make myself useful in that team (I'm not admitting that I'm good or anything special, I have a bunch of interest in AI development, that's all. My other mates are ripping its program (SC2Beta) already and I know nothing about the things that they're doing -_-), I don't know what you're so angry about man, and I'm certainly going to make myself useful in the other threads when I can figure out something that's good to all. At the moment, I admit that I'm new and still looking through different ways of adding codes to our team's SC2 AI, so I'll apologize to you if I offended you or something ok?

There's no need for the word f***.  :D

ev-

@hd:
What the hell is wrong asking if such a function exists?  ???

The hell, I guess every coder went through it. When start working on a new project, wasting tons of time just figuring out how (sometimes simple) things work, when at the same time you could have saved hours if only somebody would have taken some minutes answering your questions...

In the end everybody benefits from a neat new AI.
No one really cares if you're going to post your AI or not. If you   don't   post it, no one will ever play it, thus it would make no   difference, if   you do post it so people can play it, all of your code   becomes   available to everyone anyways. This isn't some popularity   contest. No   one is hitting F5 over and over waiting for your AI to be   released.   Hell, you're probably just ripping off the AI someone else   developed   anyways.

BTW I am looking forward to his AI and i bet some people will look at his code if his AI is neat.

Eskimo

Quote from: AlsoKnownAs on April 08, 2010, 06:33:42 AM
Lol Eskimo, I'm not talking about the player itself, what i meant was how to make the AI wanders around an opponent's base, which function should i call, and if it's possible, can i design my own route?
HAHA i just relieased how dumb my answer was. cos i was like wtf? who doesnt know how to scout? lol ;D