Are Nukes OP?

Started by DjDuskx, April 08, 2010, 02:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjDuskx

I've got a friend who reckons that nukes are op.
Who here thinks that they are?
For one, i don't since that you can only build one per Ghost Academy and per Ghost.
So then you use a lot of minerals building more then one.  :-[

Sinxta

They can be at times, if you call in two nukes at once on a base then it can destroy the core of the base nearly instantly, pretty much making it gg from there on, unless they have a large enough army to fight back with. I understand you can kill the Ghosts if you have detectors but if they don't then they just sit there and watch 2 units win the game for the other player?

Nova

Don't forget the whole 20-seconds thing. Unless your opponent is dumb, or you are really really good, you will hardly ever hit their army with nuke, so it's really only effective on bases.

jackal

What does mean OP ? I've seen this termn also on blizzard forums. Tnx

drokie

Nova

You might hear people say "imba" as well, which means imbalanced.

StubbornRock

There is a 20 sec call down time, normally people won't call it on ur army but ur bases. If u have detection, it would be fairly easy to find the ghost since he can't move.
Everytime u hear the alert, just move ur army from its original spot.

Nuke is somewhat like DT, they are powerful when enemy have no detection but not OP.

One good thing about nuke is it punishes funky defense build. I saw a replay where the potoss player is just building canons in front of Terran's door. Since the ghost is standing on cliff, and the Protoss only have few unit to break in instead of 7-8 canon. Terran call down thenuke on the hopless canons, boom 1200 mineral wasted....
Because we are amorphous, we hold that in reverence.

Rain[sun]

The only game in which they are OP is if you dominate your opponent all game and are just trying to fuck with him
Seriously, I love how easily accessible they are but the call-time is a huge draw-back.
Im gonna try and use em more but realistically they still don't have much utility unless you're playing with friends or get really lucky
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Nova

Here's an effective use of nukes, and an amazing game in general;

HD Starcraft 2 Nazgul v TheLittleOne g2 p1/4

mastaofdesasta

nuke the noobs ;)

http://rapidshare.com/files/375007861/nuke_the_noobs___.SC2Replay

hi ,   look this replay the title says it all. no detection + leave army where nuke is = stupid noob, no maybe not stupid but bad at playing starcraft.

I was the lucky Terra haha what a fun ,)

To make ya greety i got a Beta key but played here before , and guess what it really helped me out in terms of being not totally noob.

SO again thanks for a ll people here which developed Ai i mostly liked strategy ai at end it was and for sure still woulb be very chelanging <-- cant get the word right .......

Rain[sun]

Ive since then played Random a lot, and i can attest to nukes being ridiculously OP in 2v2's.
Reason being, on Kulas you can sit behind the rocks and nuke their mineral line and with the cost of it so low, you can make 2 easy.
Easy to counter but MnM are fucking godly enough on their own, nevermind watching for nukes. Terran need a major balancing because, contrary to what "pros" play like, in bronze-silver leagues a double-terran team is pretty much unbeatable; between banshee+reaper harasses, mnm drops, M-tank contains, its ridiculous haha
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage