Did my friend get screwed out of the beta?

Started by EroSennin, April 12, 2010, 09:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroSennin

I bought a beta on ebay and convinced my friend to do it, so he bought it from some guy from Poland that claimed to have a Polar Mount card with the beta key unused.

After the sale he emailed my friend and said he was just giving him his account, which has a working SCII beta attached to it.

Well the account works and has the beta but since the guy is from Poland, the beta says SC-II RU/EU which is from a different zone and he can download it but it won't run. Does this mean that theres no possible physical way for him to log in from the United States or are we missing something?

Even if he does get it to work, my beta is for the US so does that mean we can't even play together? This guy is in trouble if so because he claimed to sell a physical card and sold a used beta on a digital account.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Starcraft-2-Beta-Key-Card-FAST-SHIP-NO-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ150433146676QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230683a734#ht_500wt_1182

That's the guy and he was selling 3 cards, but did a bait and switch. Seriously though I'm leaning towards theres no way my buddy can get this to work, but I figured I'd ask the battle.net experts here before he reported him to ebay.

treckin

Tell "your buddy" he's an idiot.

That being said, he could try a proxy connection based in RU/EU. I dont know if the installer checks for region or not, but Im almost certain that the bnet game lists/matching are restricted.  It may work if you simply add each other, I dont know.  I have beta, but no friends outside the US who also have the beta.

EroSennin

Update time... we were using the StarCrack/AI/cracked pack that he already downloaded and installed which is the US version of the beta. We deleted that and re-installed with the RU-EU beta and it works but he can only connect to the European realm.

So basically we tried to friend request each other and it doesn't see that we exist, but he can play separately. At least I won't be (too far) ahead of him when the game actually drops. Having said that, I still think he's going to quickly get his money back from ebay since the item wasn't as described and the auction broke ebay rules. The seller even sent the message telling my friend that it was an account and not a physical card ON EBAY! That's right, he was dumb enough to say that on ebay's in-house mail system.

Just to recap for anybody that wasn't sure, you can't play with friends that aren't geographically near you, even if you personally know them and want to add them--which sucks because some of my friends live on the other side of the country, but I understand why Blizzard doesn't want lag for a game where seconds can decide the outcome of a match.

the_ace

Quote from: EroSennin on April 13, 2010, 12:15:11 AM
Update time... we were using the StarCrack/AI/cracked pack that he already downloaded and installed which is the US version of the beta. We deleted that and re-installed with the RU-EU beta and it works but he can only connect to the European realm.

THATS absolutely correct. EU-Key>EU-realm. No way to  change this fact.
Tell him to sell the Key to Europe and buy a US-Key or a key wherever he wants to play.
If he likes to sell it, he may contact me. I live in Germany and maybe i find someone who wants to buy it.
Meanwhile I am a happy owner of a working Beta  :P
Still looking for a beta key. If someone could invite me...

Ceron

sellings accounts is not alouded by blizzard and ebay.

Artanis186

Quote from: Ceron on April 14, 2010, 05:56:23 AM
sellings accounts is not alouded by blizzard and ebay.

Tell that to all the people who swindled $300 from idiots that can't wait a few months for the FULL thing for 1/5 the price.

People who buy the keys are morons, the sellers deserve every penny.