Map idea / question about resources

Started by KillMasterCZ, July 15, 2010, 06:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillMasterCZ

Starcraft is known as a RTS with most diversified races ever, but why dont we make it even more diverse? I think it would be interesting to give every race different resources (one of them standard gold, wood, food by building fam-like buildings; second could be like in dawn of war if you know it - one resource by building generators, second by capturing points and supply cap by research; the third race would be somethign completely new, like agressive race with blood as resource (you have to kill to get it)), other races would also have some anvantage of these resource-gathering points (like auras from capture points, connecting building with gold mine makes it build 2 units at once or something).
I dont know all the details yet, but important thing is: is it even possible to make different resources for every race?I dont have the beta key and now you have to log in in order to run map editor. Even f i would crack it or something, i wont be at home untill 30th of july (the computer im writing on now laggs when im typing letters).
So, does anyone know it? And if not please try it for me. Thanks in advance.

miguelgalit

TRIGGERS. That's possible.
I dont like microing. Hahahaha

nowonas

I believe a lot of this is possible without writing a single trigger :)

It is possible to define a totally new race, to define custom resource gathering abilities to allow unit to gather only a specific resources, and also to define custom resources. All of this in Data editor.
However, some things will need to be simulated by triggers.

KillMasterCZ

Right guys, thanks for help.

And do you think that it will be possible to have different resource picture for each race? (Well, if not i could just put all resources on one picture, but this would be nicer)