Photoshop contest(2 keys)

Started by 800b800, May 03, 2010, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAEN

Quote from: precrafter on May 04, 2010, 05:58:05 PM
*FAKE*

http://www.atheistnexus.org/photo/photo/show?id=2182797%3APhoto%3A175652
^ lol... exactly what i was going to say. All he really did in that was type Analog with a gradient+bevel+white glow on it.

When it comes to photoshop contests you always got to look out for this. These days everyone can torrent their photoshop, read up a few tutorials and make a half decent looking picture. Either by following step-by-step tutorials or just pulling artwork from others and slapping more stuff on it.

But honestly the easiest way to tell is to judge the timing vs. quality... contest was started
YESTERDAY, the artist who created the original piece most definitely took more than 1 day. Same with any other submission with unrealistically good artwork for the amount of time taken... not gonna point anymore fingers though 'cause I'm too lazy to google for proof

Anyway I might draw up something for you later tonight (<_< if I don't fall asleep)

AmAzIn[G]

Dam you guys beat me 2 it, I found out it was fake too :D

Eolin

Greetings,

I didn't have the time for anything too custom made or high-quality so i went with a standard space wallpaper.

And here are few bits of info of what i put into my layers (before the final flattening) to achieve that look (in case anyone is wondering :) ).

1. Lighter color at 20% opacity - the white line
2. Soft light at 100% opacity - the font filling (Cambria Bold)
3. Vivid light at 20% opacity - the font's edge
4. Overlay at 80% - gradient from light blue to black
5. Linear light at 100% - soft gray-light blue with a 105mm lens flare filter at 130%
6. Normal at 100% - earth (cut and adapted from Najoomi's beautiful earth*)
7. Normal at 100% - dark blue sphere to give the earth it's eclipse like shadow
8. Luminosity at 60% - dark background with tons of stars (grain filter/1 pixel white pencil/various star brushes**)
9. Normal at 70% - purple Clouds filter with very high contrast

And of course the usual image adjustment/random filter/dodging and so on.

Credits:
*Najoomi.com for the earth
**whomever made the brushes

As it is now the image is also nice to use the hue or channel mixer sliders on to get a blood red look or whatever.

Hope you enjoy it:p

800b800

Just a quick update putting text on an image doesn't really violate anything I said but obviously id much rather give the keys to people who made an image rather than just putting text on an image created by someone else.

AND

Wednesday morning I'll also post probably a similar contest with another key to win, and I have EU sc2 beta account that I don't use whatsoever if you guys have any ideas on how to give that away let me know only catch with the EU account is that I cant have any of the information changed.

chopstiks

Quote from: RAEN on May 04, 2010, 06:56:37 PM

But honestly the easiest way to tell is to judge the timing vs. quality... contest was started
YESTERDAY, the artist who created the original piece most definitely took more than 1 day. Same with any other submission with unrealistically good artwork for the amount of time taken... not gonna point anymore fingers though 'cause I'm too lazy to google for proof

Anyway I might draw up something for you later tonight (<_< if I don't fall asleep)

Well the time depends on what kind of background you make and how you make it. Just because it's original doesn't mean it can't be posted on the same day as the thread; there are those eager people.

But I do think that there should be some sort of verification process to make sure it's authentic (maybe if 800b800 likes it, he can ask for the photoshop file, containing all the layers and stuff).

RAEN

Quote from: chopstiks on May 04, 2010, 09:21:11 PM
Quote from: RAEN on May 04, 2010, 06:56:37 PM

Well the time depends on what kind of background you make and how you make it. Just because it's original doesn't mean it can't be posted on the same day as the thread; there are those eager people.

But I do think that there should be some sort of verification process to make sure it's authentic (maybe if 800b800 likes it, he can ask for the photoshop file, containing all the layers and stuff).

I'm not saying nothing can be original within day 1, I was mostly referring to the one piece in question... I'd love to meet someone who can pull off a photo-realistic render of a fantasy planet floating around space in such detail within a day. I know most of the abstract ones can be done fairly quickly...

But I do agree with you. Going through design school I've seen crazy shit happen within hours. You know... assignment's due tomorrow morning and we're still playing SC on campus LAN  :cheers:  lolz... same story in every major. But yeah, good motivation can turn blank page into amazing artwork very very fast. As I'm about to show you in another hour or so when I post mine ^-^  ((no i'm kidding it's a 2 hour hack job, nothing amazing))

kaireel

800b800

Going to announce winners at 1PM EST, I know I said morning but I lied  ;) . So still a good amount of time to submit something, and if anyone has seen an image that has been submitted to the contest before just post a link or some type of proof and I'll note it

totots

well mine was original. really want a beta key :-)

RAEN

ok... yeah, i'll shut up and upload now lol

Seems everyone is going for the good ole photoshop renders...
so I'm trying something else, went for line art, might not suit everyone's tastes but I like my desktop clean cut simple (i'm assuming it's for your desktop <_<)

Everything drawn specifically for this, won't find it anywhere else lol.

When I think "Analog" I think of stuff like odometers, equalizers, old school dot matrix printers, and stuff with lots of knobs and wires in general...soooo that's exactly what I drew

800b800

totots

800b800

RAEN - let me know how you want me to send it
totots - same deal ^

eolin - if you want a EU sc2 beta account ( information cannot be changed ) I dont use it at all if you want to use it let me know it would practically be yours. If you don't want that I'll give it to someone else who posted a wallpaper I liked

ringlas

;D  I love to see how they jump and bite against the injustice! I saw the contest late at night on Tuesday, the deadline being Wednesday in the morning and crucial timing goes for desperate measures! In the contest nowhere was said not to use pictures from the net and I did what any designer out there had done (or is doing as a matter of fact), plagiarized. Chance is 50/50 as any processional could say and I give it a shot.  8)

However, toward the angry users fighting against all "evil" I have one thing to say, "Get Real."