Map Cache Files

Started by brightb, August 25, 2011, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brightb

I'm trying to create a portable LAN version of SC2 to play from a flash drive/portable hard drive. So far, the game runs beautifully by just copying and pasting the files from C:\Program Files\StarCraft II. This works fine on most computers.

However, I've run into a problem with the map cache, which SC2 stores here
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache for vista/7 or here
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache in XP. The problem is that the computers I am trying to run the game on have this directory (and the entire C drive for that matter) blocked off, which means no file creating/modification privileges.

Is there any way to make the game look for the map cache in another directory, such as its own? Ideally, there should be a way to edit one of the program files (probably SC2.exe) to have it look for Cache\ in the game directory.

xKaiZi

when you say "LAN version" do you mean just a portable starcraft 2 that you play online or with the use of starfriend?

Serutan

Please look the Readme 0.58 or 0.60
You will see your solution at your problem
Serutan

brightb

Yeah, I mean through the use of Starfriend.

Oh shiz, I was still using 0.44. I just checked the readme, and I see what you mean.
I'll trying it out right now.

aceyot

Quote from: brightb on August 25, 2011, 05:31:46 PM
I'm trying to create a portable LAN version of SC2 to play from a flash drive/portable hard drive. So far, the game runs beautifully by just copying and pasting the files from C:\Program Files\StarCraft II. This works fine on most computers.

However, I've run into a problem with the map cache, which SC2 stores here
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache for vista/7 or here
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache in XP. The problem is that the computers I am trying to run the game on have this directory (and the entire C drive for that matter) blocked off, which means no file creating/modification privileges.

Is there any way to make the game look for the map cache in another directory, such as its own? Ideally, there should be a way to edit one of the program files (probably SC2.exe) to have it look for Cache\ in the game directory.

hint :

use ver 0.60 or higher

the location for the cache is located on the sf folder. i think they did that to prevent dmg the original battlenet cache from retail.