How long do you think it will take for normal game play?

Started by treetops422, October 18, 2011, 08:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treetops422

Sorry I  expect everyone asks this. But I read a little bit of the forums every day and really have not come across much info. Single player, act1 or however far it is the beta goes. By the way thanks for the sc2 vs ai during its beta. Could of swore I had a account but I guess it got deleted or I don't remember my old user name.

Anyways can I get a guestimation on how long its gonna take until we have ai items proper damage etc? Basically the beta in single player mode like how we had sc2. My uneducated guess is a month.

Thanks you for all your hard work.

Draxanoth

Quote from: treetops422 on October 18, 2011, 08:16:21 PM
Sorry I  expect everyone asks this. But I read a little bit of the forums every day and really have not come across much info. Single player, act1 or however far it is the beta goes. By the way thanks for the sc2 vs ai during its beta. Could of swore I had a account but I guess it got deleted or I don't remember my old user name.

Anyways can I get a guestimation on how long its gonna take until we have ai items proper damage etc? Basically the beta in single player mode like how we had sc2. My uneducated guess is a month.

Thanks you for all your hard work.

I would guess 8 months before it's serviceable.  If you're looking at this as a gateway to playing the Beta I think you're invested for the wrong reasons.  This is about making a fully functional server, hopefully for LANs and modding that Blizzard refuses to support.

This isn't like Starcraft, all the gameplay calculations in D3 are server side.  How would they be able to replicate all the gameplay, that they can't even play yet unless someone managed to sneak in the BETA, in two months?

treetops422

Oh I was hoping to get a single player crack of the beta ^^. Looks like I am in for quite a wait.

badasswolf

it'll take a very very long time until its serviceable with 100% content. unless someone crack the full game , until then it would be best to just wait for the release.

Phanamine

A good majority of the game data via the beta content should be available via the MPQ. Files.. Like previous Diablo games. Why the MPQ files have not been debugged and viewed in code.. I'm not sure. If they have.. Apologies in advance. However I am almost posative all the calculations, are "NOT" server sided.. 
I can see what you see not,
Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone,
Whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be,
Shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind,
Cast down into the halls of the blind

Draxanoth

Quote from: Phanamine on October 25, 2011, 01:45:34 PM
A good majority of the game data via the beta content should be available via the MPQ. Files.. Like previous Diablo games. Why the MPQ files have not been debugged and viewed in code.. I'm not sure. If they have.. Apologies in advance. However I am almost posative all the calculations, are "NOT" server sided..
It's just like WoW, client and server.  No amount of wishing is going to magically make building a server for D3 any easier.  It's going to take a long time, accept it.

Phanamine

Quote from: Draxanoth on October 25, 2011, 08:23:43 PM
It's just like WoW, client and server.  No amount of wishing is going to magically make building a server for D3 any easier.  It's going to take a long time, accept it.

So the MPQ files are there for no reason.. I highly doubt it.. (HIGHLY) .. The MPQ's all together are a rather large 3.19GB.. As in all previous Diablo games.. MPQ files carry "LOTS" of data.. Oh and for the record.. Wish was never a word I used..  8) ;)

bryan_nguyen

treetops422

I am guessing a very small part of any games calculations are handled server side, like less then 1%. I dont know for sure but phanam and common sense points me in that direction.

Yeah phan and its only act1.

Draxanoth

Quote from: Phanamine on October 26, 2011, 09:06:47 AM

So the MPQ files are there for no reason.. I highly doubt it.. (HIGHLY) .. The MPQ's all together are a rather large 3.19GB.. As in all previous Diablo games.. MPQ files carry "LOTS" of data.. Oh and for the record.. Wish was never a word I used..  8) ;)
It's called 3 gigs of character, items, terrain, npc, and effects models; plus multitudes of static data like name strings.  WoW is tens of gigs of MPQ files, you think there is single-player magically squirreled away in that one somewhere too?  Have you ever looked inside them?

Draxanoth

Quote from: treetops422 on October 27, 2011, 12:21:22 AM
I am guessing a very small part of any games calculations are handled server side, like less then 1%. I dont know for sure but phanam and common sense points me in that direction.

Yeah phan and its only act1.
The unfortunate thing about common sense is most think it replaces the need for critical thinking skills.  Guess less, prove more.

Phanamine

Quote from: Draxanoth on October 27, 2011, 01:04:28 AM

you think there is single-player magically squirreled away in that one somewhere too?  Have you ever looked inside them?

That part of your post is HILARIOUS! So no, there is no single player in the MPQ data.. And yes I have debugged MPQ files before.. WoW has a lot of MPQ data due to the map size as well as scheer MASS of the game itself. Think before u try to prove a point.  :-\ It'll help..   

FatMan

@Phanamine

Of course the MPQ files have a reason. And, yes, the majority of stuff which the game displays is stored in them. That doesn't mean that the server does nothing. That's like saying "My windows install is only 1% of my Hard drive, so my computer should work without it".

PS: don't delete your windows folder - it's a bad idea. 

Draxanoth

Quote from: Phanamine on October 27, 2011, 07:40:27 AM
Quote from: Draxanoth on October 27, 2011, 01:04:28 AM

you think there is single-player magically squirreled away in that one somewhere too?  Have you ever looked inside them?

That part of your post is HILARIOUS! So no, there is no single player in the MPQ data.. And yes I have debugged MPQ files before.. WoW has a lot of MPQ data due to the map size as well as scheer MASS of the game itself. Think before u try to prove a point.  :-\ It'll help..
Good, then as a veteran of MPQ files you should be able to open the D3 files and see that the game-play mechanics aren't in there.  Go ahead, we'll wait.

Phanamine

Quote from: FatMan on October 27, 2011, 08:13:48 AM
@Phanamine

Of course the MPQ files have a reason. And, yes, the majority of stuff which the game displays is stored in them. That doesn't mean that the server does nothing. That's like saying "My windows install is only 1% of my Hard drive, so my computer should work without it".

PS: don't delete your windows folder - it's a bad idea.

I never said the server did nothing. Bleh! C'mon ppl read!