Main Menu

Bot Mail

Started by Myst, May 23, 2009, 04:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst

Through battle.net time there have been many bots or sole programs with the feature of Bot Mail.  Where a user can send a specific message to someone since they are away or not there at the time.

However, most of these bots solely rely on the user joining or rejoining the channel for the bot to notify them that they have a new mail awaiting them.  This sometimes is not the most efficient means of delivering a msg since a lot of times users will never leave a channel or will never rejoin the channel since the next time you talk to them.

So why not in addition to the joining channel trigger of delivery.  Have the bot target the user and get his last said message time that he spoke in the channel.  Once he says something again in channel, this will tell the bot his not idle anymore and will notify him that there is mail for him.  Sure there would be a more detailed analysis of time since spoken and all that mumbo jumbo but you guys get this gist of it....

So anyone else have any other ideas on notification of bot mails? 

Chriso

Sounds pretty logical. Aside from the fact that you should monitor friends and clan members who log on/off as well.

Myst

Quote from: Chriso on March 14, 2010, 04:03:00 AM
Sounds pretty logical. Aside from the fact that you should monitor friends and clan members who log on/off as well.

What do friends/clan members have to do with Bot Mail?  In addition to the trigger of non-idle users with botmail in queue for them, as originally bot is triggered to deliver mail on mail recipients joining channels.

Chriso

The idea behind BotMail is to detect when a user that is being sent mail is available to receive the mail they should. Your bot might be part of a clan in which users may not necessarily hang out in the clan channel, therefore you could leave messages for clan members ready for them the next time they come online.

You are thinking that BotMail should only be sent when the user is in the channel, this is not true, users should be detected in any possible way in the confines of Battle.net.

Myst

Quote from: Chriso on March 15, 2010, 01:32:33 AM
You are thinking that BotMail should only be sent when the user is in the channel, this is not true, users should be detected in any possible way in the confines of Battle.net.

That is not what I'm thinking.  I was open to suggestions and never made a statement stating there was only one way for notifications.   The idea of clan members coming in and out of battle.net relies on the actual account the bot is loaded on, i.e a fellow clan members names (War3 Accounts, + the bot loaded on a "Clanned" name).  Which historically is never the case.    However Yes you could add another notification option to trigger to the botmail on war3 users who detect clan members.  You can even go as far as to create a whole clan database, that constantly does a /who on users added to that list, which in my opinion is futile and no point in wasting resources at.  Cause if a user actual wants to send a mail to somebody it makes sense that one time or another that person will enter the same channel the botmail bot is in.

Chriso

You'd be surprised how many people DO load their WarCraft III clanned accounts on bots. All I'm saying is why the hell not?

Myst

exactly why the hell not, I'm saying if bots are loaded on War3 they should have that option available...what the hell are we arguing about?

Chriso

For the sake of it I guess? :P

Myst

If ConnectingID = WAR3 then ClanEmailNotificiation is go.   
But if users are not on war3 or not in a clan I would say its useless for a botmail bot to load a database of users and constantly check them for online status (/whois name).

Chriso

You don't need to /whois there is a packet (SID_CLANMEMBERSTATUSCHANGE) which will notify you when you are the member of a clan of other clan members entering/leaving Battle.Net. ;)

As for actually emailing them I think that is taking it perhaps a little far, however I guess it could be an option.

Myst

Do you not read what I post  :anono:      I was talking about when users are NOT on war3.  and I meant mail not email...  really chriso....read....

Street_Hawk

I always enjoy Mail. As long as its spelt with an A.I

=)

SoupDoGG

Might I suggest if you do this get some type of anti-spam protection thing? You never know when some kid figures out how to make a bot send botmail spamming you ><

Just a suggestion :)!