bnetd the origional battle.net emulator (source code get it here)

Started by mAxius, February 24, 2010, 11:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mAxius

• ok people seriously why work on something new when a solution already exists for battle.net emulation it just needs to be tweaked for sc2.

Just a brief history for you new people bnetd is a software package that was reverseengineered from Blizzard Entertainment's Battle.net online multiplayer gamingservice, providing near-complete emulation. The software allows users to createand play on their own servers, instead of Battle.net servers. Released underthe terms of the GNU General Public License, bnetd is free software.

here is the link enjoy the the 1st battle.net emulator

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~owend/free/bnetd.html

ReVoke

Why bnetd? you know how old that is, PvPGN is the best way to go battle.net emu. way =)
TXlzdCBpcyBteSBiaXRjaA==

^^ Base64, Decode it =) ^^

mAxius

well its old but its still the 1st and still works and we have the source code :P

drealecs

Battle.net 2.0 has a totally different communication protocol and different things behind the interface. This result in absolutely no compatibility with the old battle.net.
Like there are WoW private servers and are not compatible with bnetd or pvpgn, this way Starcraft 2 will have another type of battle.net - Battle.net 2.0 (witch indeed, you guessed, is more similar to WoW than to old starcraft, warcraft3, diablo 2 etc).

Myst

Mesiah

Quote from: drealecs on February 25, 2010, 02:15:16 AM
Battle.net 2.0 has a totally different communication protocol and different things behind the interface. This result in absolutely no compatibility with the old battle.net.
Like there are WoW private servers and are not compatible with bnetd or pvpgn, this way Starcraft 2 will have another type of battle.net - Battle.net 2.0 (witch indeed, you guessed, is more similar to WoW than to old starcraft, warcraft3, diablo 2 etc).

Battle.net will merge sc2 with all the other games once the release is stable. This, IMO, most likely means the channel system will remain intact. Blizzard has had huge success with it, and they don't intend to break it. SC2 will not be isolated like WoW.

drealecs

Quote from: Mesiah on February 26, 2010, 01:36:50 AM
Battle.net will merge sc2 with all the other games once the release is stable. This, IMO, most likely means the channel system will remain intact. Blizzard has had huge success with it, and they don't intend to break it. SC2 will not be isolated like WoW.

I don't argue that it will merge. I stand only that the protocol and other internal stuff are too different and there is no point in using bnetd or pvpgn because anyway you'll have to do a total rebuild.
I said also that Starcraft2 have a similar battle.net communication protocol with WoW, not that all organizational stuff will be the same.
For the moment, we are looking at all options and trying to find the best and easy way to implement a battle.net 2.0 private server. Old battle.net servers are of no use.

mAxius

Quote from: drealecs on February 26, 2010, 02:32:48 AM
Quote from: Mesiah on February 26, 2010, 01:36:50 AM

I don't argue that it will merge. I stand only that the protocol and other internal stuff are too different and there is no point in using bnetd or pvpgn because anyway you'll have to do a total rebuild.
I said also that Starcraft2 have a similar battle.net communication protocol with WoW, not that all organizational stuff will be the same.
For the moment, we are looking at all options and trying to find the best and easy way to implement a battle.net 2.0 private server. Old battle.net servers are of no use.

true though the legacy games will probably remain using the older protocols. it would be some work to rebuild bnetd but i think it would be a good thing try to implement at some point.  after all all the source code is there and it does beat starting from scratch.

prefix331

We would need a Battle.net 2.0 Emulator, which i doubt will be out or supported by pvpgn in any near future, the only hope for this project lies with Teknogods, which i assume is working on this atm.

Here's the link to the teknogods website:

http://teknogods.com/?tag=server-emulator

I saw this funny ass video on youtube about SC2 Lanplay etc, dunno if you guys have seen it :)

Hitler's Starcraft 2 Downfall