AI Difficulty Patch

Started by sYk0, February 27, 2010, 05:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiCrOMaN1

Ya you guys are right, the AI isn't very much aggressive. Except for the fact that it had like 3 Tanks, and that's the most aggressive I've seen so far.
Our Greatest Resource is Our Mind ~ Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Check this: http://img123.exs.cx/img123/4497/gif1.gif

SnipeShow257

when yoo download the difficulty patch, is it just a .rar file and you put it into the sc2 mod folder?

Darius

well just tested insane and i have to say a toss base next to mine was giving me some problems lol one zealot started killing my scv's but that was it, and a roach attack stopped by helions i love those new bikes lol but as far as ive seen that's the most agressive thing ive seen

SnipeShow257

hey darius, did you just put the .rar file into the sc2 mods folder?

chikopaws

Quote from: SnipeShow257 on February 28, 2010, 12:09:26 AM
hey darius, did you just put the .rar file into the sc2 mods folder?

I'm trying to help..
not put the .rar to sc2 mods folder but extrat the .rar to starcraft 2 beta folder in program files..

check it here
http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/index.php?topic=582.0

dodongbadong

guys try playing with this SC2 AI V 3.0 (STARCRACK) download it from http://botdev.org/doku.php its really nice.. i almost got defeated.. wew..  :D
You make your best AI script "cheating or not"
and ill test it for you
- FREE-

PatouPower

Quote from: dodongbadong on February 28, 2010, 01:37:34 AM
guys try playing with this SC2 AI V 3.0 (STARCRACK) download it from http://botdev.org/doku.php its really nice.. i almost got defeated.. wew..  :D

+1 (except the defeated part  :D ).

He suprised the first time he came in with his zealots, I was expecting him to have nothing like usually, and he knows when to attack, when to retreat, and how to macro.

But if you want a great challenge without understanding what is happening to you, try the  terran AI mod made by an awesome guy: http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/index.php?topic=598.0

The only bad thing is you can't compete against protoss or zerg (as they will just gather minerals and do nothing else), but I'm sure he will come soon with insane AI for them too  ??? :o

worldofbobi

Edit : Fixed it my self :)

useruseryey

Quote from: dodongbadong on February 28, 2010, 01:37:34 AM

it wasn't actually hard but it did feel like I'm playing against something, was awesome!
If the 3 AIs played together (it's FFA) they could probably beat me too  :o

Giz

well i tried v3.0 :) it was A LOT better, i actually got raped on first try as i didnt expect that fast response from them.... well i did beat them second time around :)

reaperman

I tried insane again, this time TvZ. Here's a clever list of things the original (not Chinese hacked) AI does:

- Build all base structures (duuh!)
- Expand, but limiting expansions to 1 main building + 1 geyser building, no defenses or anything. Sometimes it doesn't even gather resources there.
- Quickly rebuilds destroyed buildings (even if it was a depleted geyser)
- Builds like 2-3 towers around its main base + 1 crappy defense (a casual GtG defense in the middle)
- Doesn't upgrade, except to enable units.

When attacking:
- Aims straight for your main building (it knows where it is from the start). If you build more than one, it's going to go for the closest one.
- Does some very primitive macro (take 1 flyer and unload units on a different end of your base) once like every 10 mins, if you don't protect well.
- Units just mass instead of using abilities
- Doesn't train massive units, so at the beginning it is some army, once you get at least to building advanced its army is pretty much fried.
- Surprisingly enough, is able to place detectors around its base once you attack it with cloaked units, then first thing removes all the workers from the affected area. If you're sadistic enough as to eliminate its main building + all the workers to eliminate its production/expansion, it will try to save workers by dissipating/loading/burrowing etc etc

And, most annoying of all: KEEPS RETREATING EVERY TIME YOU HIT ITS ARMY! Even if you have like 1 unit. It feels like its whole army was programmed to be hit-and-run like a bunch of workers.

That's pretty much it. The rest is just your own improv to make the game more playable. Also, I suspect that the Chinese guys simply got sick of playing vs such useless AI and just wrote their own AI code for Terran (after I saw what Lazytown team does, nothing surprises me anymore).

Happy-I-am

Quote from: reaperman on February 28, 2010, 05:32:37 AM
I tried insane again, this time TvZ. Here's a clever list of things the original (not Chinese hacked) AI does:

- Build all base structures (duuh!)
- Expand, but limiting expansions to 1 main building + 1 geyser building, no defenses or anything. Sometimes it doesn't even gather resources there.
- Quickly rebuilds destroyed buildings (even if it was a depleted geyser)
- Builds like 2-3 towers around its main base + 1 crappy defense (a casual GtG defense in the middle)
- Doesn't upgrade, except to enable units.

When attacking:
- Aims straight for your main building (it knows where it is from the start). If you build more than one, it's going to go for the closest one.
- Does some very primitive macro (take 1 flyer and unload units on a different end of your base) once like every 10 mins, if you don't protect well.
- Units just mass instead of using abilities
- Doesn't train massive units, so at the beginning it is some army, once you get at least to building advanced its army is pretty much fried.
- Surprisingly enough, is able to place detectors around its base once you attack it with cloaked units, then first thing removes all the workers from the affected area. If you're sadistic enough as to eliminate its main building + all the workers to eliminate its production/expansion, it will try to save workers by dissipating/loading/burrowing etc etc

And, most annoying of all: KEEPS RETREATING EVERY TIME YOU HIT ITS ARMY! Even if you have like 1 unit. It feels like its whole army was programmed to be hit-and-run like a bunch of workers.

That's pretty much it. The rest is just your own improv to make the game more playable. Also, I suspect that the Chinese guys simply got sick of playing vs such useless AI and just wrote their own AI code for Terran (after I saw what Lazytown team does, nothing surprises me anymore).

Yes I noticed those bugs, here is a replay with some of them.

http://www.multiupload.com/W3NHJ9PBLW

it contains my replay file and the map I played.

I couldn't get the replay to play so i'm not sure what is wrong. I might just have the map in the wrong area.

Sandwich

Here was my v3.0 game.

I played as Terran, AI was Zerg. I walled up my ramp and held off the ling rush easily. I built a small army and sent it against the AI. I had several marines, marauders, and 1 Thor. Was surprised to see a decent sized army in the zerg base and tons of Muta's. Lost my first army but hurt the ai's as well.

Built army number 2 and plopped it outside of my base while I built some defenses since I knew the AI was building mutas.

The AI was sending units, but they were running in and retreating out just as quickly. I kept picking off stragglers here and there, so when I attacked the zerg base for the second time I met some casual resistance. Maybe 25 or 30 units. And that was pretty much it.

I think v4 will be great though. If the ai is programmed to hold off on attacking until it has a good bunch of units as opposed to just throwing stragglers at me, I think it will make things challenging.

On a side note how do you play against multiple AI. One of the old AI's I used was setting up 4 player games, but the v3.0 AI was 1on1 on lost temple (only played one game, time for bed)?

Giz

u probasbly chose 1vs1 map of lost temple - there is a thread with all maps, get the 4 player map of lost temple

Sandwich

Ok, thanks. It was the same version of lost temple that had four AI. But I guess different AI pack changed that.