StarCrack AI Official 6.0 Feedback Thread

Started by turdburgler, March 05, 2010, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unre4l

godspiral

btw, the AI is stronger and more varied on 4 player maps. like bw.  (probably 6 player ones too)

sercul

thanks for the AI, this AI is very good!

Bluefish

at first i like to thank you for your great work...
Now my question...i was playing with the Standard AI as Terran.
I had a few units (12 of them in bunkers + 2 tanks and around 10 other units) when first wave of my opponent (PROTOSS) arrives.
I had zero chance to stand against him (15-20 zealot units)...i did not make any damage and he kills my units in seconds...are i am playing wrong or whats that?

Buzzard

I beat 5.5, but 6.0 is DAMN HARD!. I lost all matches against 3 bots so far :(. The problem is that you cannot just attack one ai because then the other two gets even more stronger.

Jandos

One huge problem of this AI is you can kite all computers army with for example one mutalisk. If he is on his way to your base you can just attack his base with single air unit and he will take all his army back. (even the units which cant even attack air)

So basicaly you can keep him in his base forever ....  ;)

Abstract

First of all thanks a lot for these great AIs
Never thought I could enjoy some SC2 matches before the official release.

Now to be honestly I havn't won a game yet xD
I'm new to strategy games and my experience is limited to theoretical parts.
I was playing Starcraft and Warcraft III before but I havn't put much time in it.

Currently I'm trying to rush Easy v6.0 AI with zerglings/Zealots on 2 player map.
This is the only way I have a chance to win, I can't stand his waves unless I play
ultra defensive or abuse the lacks of this AI. Damn hard opponent for me.

I highly recommend playing in slow-mode for everyone who keeps loosing.
It's a good chance to improve your micro/macro.

marauder2ii

Fantastic work.  I noticed 5.5 did alot of bouncing in and out of range losing units before finally committing to an attack.  6.0 no longer does this and therefore is better.

It feels like the assaults the AI launches are far more concerted, but I always get the feeling that the AI doesn't go for the kill when it gets the chance.

Often times I'll just narrowly survive an attack and my frontline defense will be broken but I won't be attacked for a while afterward, giving me the precious time to rebuild.

While this is nice, it's also not very challenging.

Overall, good improvement from 5.5, thank you very much for your work guys and I look forward to the next update.

orbb24

How are you guys changing the game speed? Is there a file for that I need to download? I would like to play on the faster setting like back in BW. Would make it better imo.

slackr

Quote from: orbb24 on March 07, 2010, 11:16:31 AM
How are you guys changing the game speed? Is there a file for that I need to download? I would like to play on the faster setting like back in BW. Would make it better imo.

Press the + sign on the numpad twice.

Regarding the 6.0 release of the AI, nice work! I did notice that the zerg has issues with spending its resources in the cheater version fo the AI, since it only has a hatch with a queen and doesn't exp so fast it is very limited by its larvae, perhaps for 6.1 it could learn to build more hatches when it has alot of money?

Gregard

Thank you guys for all you effort. The AI in 6.0 is much better! No more moving back and forth, I can have some intense battles now! The cheating version is almost impossible to beat for me, especially on bigger maps! And playing vs the AI in faster speed is just suicide!

Really nice job you guys did, thank you very much for giving us a chance to have fun with sc2 before its release!

Also I cannot believe some people are actually complaining? Whats wrong with you! These guys are working hard to provide you with free entertainment! What more do you want! Jeez

Darkskeleton

One tiny tiny and specific thing I noticed a minute ago was that when I take control of an enemy SCV with an Infestor and use it to build something (like a command center), it keeps on building it even after the 10 second duration is up. This is not going to be gamebreaking but I figured i'd just add another thing to the list to get to around v15.0. Keep up the good work, playing versus this AI is becoming enjoyable.

Neverborn

The protoss 3 gate zealot rush is brutally annoying. No good player would do this since they're totally screwed (no expansion, no tech) if you beat it, and being required to beat it severely limits your early-game options. Them doing such an all-in attack forces you to play responsively and makes XvP games very one-dimensional.

Is there any way to program the AI to not engage if it looks like you will be able to defend? This is one very big aspect of competitive gaming. For example terran/protoss can make some units and THREATEN to attack zerg, in order to force the zerg player to make spine crawlers, zerglings, roaches, or some combination. This causes the zerg to have less drones than they would have otherwise. By not attacking, the other player not only weakened the zerg, but doesn't lose his army in the process and will have a stronger midgame army.

This enables you to program the AI to do strong timing attacks like immortal pushes that aren't possible of the protoss threw away all of his zealot support earlier. I'm not sure if more advanced programming like this is possible at this level, but it would certainly create a much more dynamic game than simply survive consecutive waves of attacks while getting strong enough to kill the AI. Boooring :(