Run without registry?

Started by Allmont, March 01, 2010, 01:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allmont

I want to get some playtime in at school, but by the looks of it, it won't run without the registry entries on the computer, does anyone know how to circumvent this?
If its helpful at all, i know i can run those cracked counterstrike 1.6 games on these computers, it will allow the .reg files, but i don't have the access to do much more.

thundrio

did you try putting the cache files in? that helped for me

cyricc

Quote from: thundrio on March 01, 2010, 02:13:08 PM
did you try putting the cache files in? that helped for me

He means how can he run the beta on a comp he hasn't installed it on, just copied and pasted the directory.

Gamewiz

I don't think there is anything out yet for SC2 to be able to do that (I dunno if there ever will). Truthfully I've never heard of running a game without registry files, so good luck to you on that...

Allmont

Yeah, i don't really have my hopes up on this, just i figured, if anyone would know how to do anything with starcraft, this forum would.

I know there are games that do run without registry entries (starcraft 1, diablo 2, gta series (excluding IV), etc.)

but yeah, if anyone here knows what SC2 adds to the registry, and would be able to whip up one of those reg scripts for it, it would be MUCH appreciated.

mithhunter55

Quote from: Allmont on March 01, 2010, 04:15:30 PM
Yeah, i don't really have my hopes up on this, just i figured, if anyone would know how to do anything with starcraft, this forum would.

I know there are games that do run without registry entries (starcraft 1, diablo 2, gta series (excluding IV), etc.)

but yeah, if anyone here knows what SC2 adds to the registry, and would be able to whip up one of those reg scripts for it, it would be MUCH appreciated.
Can you open regedit at school? You could save the keys out but they would have to have the right file paths for the school computer. If nessacassary edit the keys at home then save out and run the reg file at the school.

chetjan

Ya I would also be want to install it at school, but I think that it that they block reg edit on most networks. I wish there were some other way :(

Happy-I-am

Quote from: chetjan on March 01, 2010, 07:23:45 PM
Ya I would also be want to install it at school, but I think that it that they block reg edit on most networks. I wish there were some other way :(

use a .cmd file to write reg keys, even if they block command line .cmd files can still run. =]

unless they stop .cmd/.bat files from running.(They wont since their start up bat files to map drives etc wouldn't work.)

Marc0v

so it is possible to run starcraft 2 by copying from other PC ? I'm asking beacuse my SC 2 isn't updating, and on my friend's computer it isn't updating too.. I downloaded 13891 version yesterday I run replays and everything, but official launcher isn't updating  :(
link to thread: http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/ai-help-section/major-problem-help-re-install-and-patch-problem/

Happy-I-am

Quote from: Marc0v on March 02, 2010, 04:56:35 AM
so it is possible to run starcraft 2 by copying from other PC ? I'm asking beacuse my SC 2 isn't updating, and on my friend's computer it isn't updating too.. I downloaded 13891 version yesterday I run replays and everything, but official launcher isn't updating  :(
link to thread: http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/ai-help-section/major-problem-help-re-install-and-patch-problem/

Maybe. I haven't tryed it. And if you do you might need to copy reg keys.

Alchemist07

I was planning on running SC2 on my UNI comps so I copied the SC2 install folder to my usb hard drive (along with launcher etc.) then took it to the library.

Heres what i tried.

*Running from usb - tried using the launcher (0.17) got error with lazylaunch2 - crashes and doesnt load sc2

*copying folder onto desktop - tried using the launcher (0.17) got error with lazylaunch2 - crashes and doesnt load sc2

*using the copied desktop folder - running the starcraft II.exe directly - gives me the following message:

"Launcher requires write permission to the StarCraft II Registry key to succesfuly locate and run the game. Please enable write access to the Registry key using an administrator account."

As you might have guessed i just logged in as a user so dont have admin access, so cant do this.

However i anticipated a registry problem so i exported what i thought were the registry entries required from my computer onto the usb and merged the entries to the computer (I can run the .reg files and also can access registry where I can create reg entries and seem to have full control over the entries that i create-i can set full control permissions)

Despite this it still gives me the same error message. I figure this is likely because im using win7 64bit at home and the UNI pc is winxp sp3. So i tried adding the keys to the usual HKLM software windows xp registry directory into a blizzard folder i made myself. STILL doesnt work!

so im stumped. What would be really helpful is if someone who is running the game on XP could export their starcraft II registry keys and/or post where they think they are all located so i can re-create them on this pc.

here are the entries i added in the .reg file:

(FROM WIN7 64bit)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]
"LangID"=hex:09,04
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\\lazylaunch2.exe"="LazyTown Launcher"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\\StarCraft II.exe"="Blizzard Launcher"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\Starcraft II - Beta Launcher.exe"="WindowsApplication1"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\\versions\\base14133\\sc2.exe"="StarCraft II"

then i did the same again but i changed the directory to be written to to a ~hklm\software\ and guessed blizzard directory structure )

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Starcraft II Beta]
"LangID"=hex:09,04
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\\lazylaunch2.exe"="LazyTown Launcher"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\\StarCraft II.exe"="Blizzard Launcher"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myusername\\Desktop\\StarCraft II Beta\\versions\\base14133\\sc2.exe"="StarCraft II"

I might be doing something realy wrong so if anyone know sanything about regediting let me know, i dont really know much at all aboul registry stuff.

chetjan

I tried it at my school and to my surprise we did have access to regedit and were able to use it, though my main problem is still knowing which registry entries I need to add. I have the same problem as alchemist, I am running Windows 7 64 and need to get it to run on a xp sp3. If anyone using xp could launch the game on a xp (with a limited account, but give it permission to run process monitor) and give us a output from process monitor to know when it gets stuck while launching. I tried to do it myself on windows 7 but it access way to many reg keys for it me to sort through (mostly directx keys, but there are so many i cannot sort it out). So if anyone could post an output that would be great.

getITdone

Open Notepad (or whatever text editor you prefer) and put the following in:
Quote[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II]
"InstallPath"="<DRIVE>:\\<FOLDER PATH>\\"
"GamePath"="<DRIVE>:\\<FOLDER PATH>\\StarCraft II.exe"
NOTE:
<DRIVE> -- the drive letter
<FOLDER PATH> -- the exact path of the SC2 Beta folder
ex. You copied the SC2 folder on the root folder of drive F. So it would become:
F:\\SC2 Beta\\  and F:\\SC2 Beta\\StarCraft II.exe

Name the file whatever you want but make sure that it has a ".reg" extension.

The method to integrate this SC2 reg file is all up to you.

After integrating the above data in the Windows Registry, make sure that you run "StarCraft II.exe" once before you run your preferred SC2 launcher. This is to force SC2 to recreate the cache folder inside the "Documents and Settings" folder of WinXP.

That's it.

And, oh yeah, run your SC2 launcher and play.  :P