StarCrack AI Official Thread (Latest Version: 7.0 )

Started by turdburgler, March 01, 2010, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mezner

Quote from: cloak123 on March 07, 2010, 02:21:12 PM
Quote from: Mezner on March 07, 2010, 02:11:10 PM
Been lurking on this project since around ver. 4. Great work!

Three suggestions:

• Destruction of destructable rocks when it gives the AI quicker access to its own bases. The AI was setting up bases behind destructable areas and then sending tanks all the way around to counter me. Seems like it could make a comparison between the path between its bases and destroy these as needed.
  • If the AI has determined to rebuild in a particular area, it would make sense if it decided to reattach to Reactors / Tech Labs. I would destroy a portion of the base and it'd rebuild barracks away from its own Reactors / Tech Labs.
  • Usage of the Xel'Naga towers. If the enemy must scout me to figure out whether to attack me or not, it might also make sense if it used the Xel'Naga towers as well to figure out if I'm about to attack one of its bases, etc. It would also be nice if it thought to use its cheapest units available to do so.
I'm not sure how attainable some of these are, but they are interesting points that all the races could use. I like what you've done so far and I've found that this AI is continuously getting smarter, so I figured some feedback could enhance that further  :)

they did destroy the rocks in my game :)
ive also watched it use the towers
im sure there is alot more improvment to be made

also Turd if you use the new star launcher, Which allows you to choose teams etc. i always get Mainstate error when playing as observer. even if everyone is in the right slot. and right amount of players on the map. It only happens typically to the second terran or 3rd protoss if there isnt a second terran.

Interesting. I've been playing many games of Steppes of War and it never seems to destroy the rocks, but instead builds a base beyond them. If a replay or anything else is useful in understanding this "issue" please let me know and I'll try to provide it and/or reproduce it for you.

I've also never seen it use the Xel'Naga towers. By "use" I mean keeping a zergling or some such there such that it gets constant visibility.

Is there an updated map I have to have to use in conjunction with this or is simply swapping out the SCData file sufficient?

heavensrevenge

cloak123

Quote from: Mezner on March 07, 2010, 02:27:15 PM
Quote from: cloak123 on March 07, 2010, 02:21:12 PM
Quote from: Mezner on March 07, 2010, 02:11:10 PM
Been lurking on this project since around ver. 4. Great work!

Three suggestions:

• Destruction of destructable rocks when it gives the AI quicker access to its own bases. The AI was setting up bases behind destructable areas and then sending tanks all the way around to counter me. Seems like it could make a comparison between the path between its bases and destroy these as needed.
  • If the AI has determined to rebuild in a particular area, it would make sense if it decided to reattach to Reactors / Tech Labs. I would destroy a portion of the base and it'd rebuild barracks away from its own Reactors / Tech Labs.
  • Usage of the Xel'Naga towers. If the enemy must scout me to figure out whether to attack me or not, it might also make sense if it used the Xel'Naga towers as well to figure out if I'm about to attack one of its bases, etc. It would also be nice if it thought to use its cheapest units available to do so.
I'm not sure how attainable some of these are, but they are interesting points that all the races could use. I like what you've done so far and I've found that this AI is continuously getting smarter, so I figured some feedback could enhance that further  :)

they did destroy the rocks in my game :)
ive also watched it use the towers
im sure there is alot more improvment to be made

also Turd if you use the new star launcher, Which allows you to choose teams etc. i always get Mainstate error when playing as observer. even if everyone is in the right slot. and right amount of players on the map. It only happens typically to the second terran or 3rd protoss if there isnt a second terran.

Interesting. I've been playing many games of Steppes of War and it never seems to destroy the rocks, but instead builds a base beyond them. If a replay or anything else is useful in understanding this "issue" please let me know and I'll try to provide it and/or reproduce it for you.

I've also never seen it use the Xel'Naga towers. By "use" I mean keeping a zergling or some such there such that it gets constant visibility.

Is there an updated map I have to have to use in conjunction with this or is simply swapping out the SCData file sufficient?

I haven't seen them keep a unit there either, i just think because it receives so many commands right now. its commanded to go their but instantly commanded to leave again.
and no i do not use any special maps. but on kulas ravine they seem to always destroy them

blackfalcon

The only problem I see with this AI is the fact that it does not understand which race it is when it attacks. It has been told to create say 16 of the "base unit" So if it is zerg that is 16 zerglins. Terren 16 marines and protoss 16 zelots. So the AI thinks 16 zerglings=16 marines=16 zelots. However one zergling does not=1 zelot. Thus if it is terren its 16 marines is a perfect attack. If it is zerg 16 zerglings is a pathetic attack and if it is protoss 16 zelots is a ficking overwhelming attack. Howabout you make it so it thinks 3 zerglins=2marines=1zelot or 5 zerglings=3marines=2 zelots or something like that.

programm

I found 1 major problem: All races seem to be massing 1st type of unit - mass zerglign, mass zealots, mass marines. In late game they still make them. They shouldnt mass so much tier 1 but after they lose their army next attacks to be massing stronger units including air.

The Standard is still easy, you can toy with the CPU as you want.

The Cheating AI is pointless - while you improved the AI for both, it is UNBEATABLE. It has no point... I dont know whatever race you are you cant beat it, you will always run out of time and resources and he will come.

Lenor

Quote from: blackfalcon on March 07, 2010, 03:05:27 PM
The only problem I see with this AI is the fact that it does not understand which race it is when it attacks. It has been told to create say 16 of the "base unit" So if it is zerg that is 16 zerglins. Terren 16 marines and protoss 16 zelots. So the AI thinks 16 zerglings=16 marines=16 zelots. However one zergling does not=1 zelot. Thus if it is terren its 16 marines is a perfect attack. If it is zerg 16 zerglings is a pathetic attack and if it is protoss 16 zelots is a ficking overwhelming attack. Howabout you make it so it thinks 3 zerglins=2marines=1zelot or 5 zerglings=3marines=2 zelots or something like that.
I perfectly agree

cloak123

Quote from: programm on March 07, 2010, 03:32:16 PM
I found 1 major problem: All races seem to be massing 1st type of unit - mass zerglign, mass zealots, mass marines. In late game they still make them. They shouldnt mass so much tier 1 but after they lose their army next attacks to be massing stronger units including air.

The Standard is still easy, you can toy with the CPU as you want.

The Cheating AI is pointless - while you improved the AI for both, it is UNBEATABLE. It has no point... I dont know whatever race you are you cant beat it, you will always run out of time and resources and he will come.

speak for yourself but i can beat it.

programm

turdburgler

Stop whining. Load up a 4 player FFA with standard edition, set speed to fastest. Have some fun.  ::)

cloak123

Quote from: programm on March 07, 2010, 03:38:44 PM
Quote from: cloak123 on March 07, 2010, 03:34:00 PM
speak for yourself but i can beat it.

Can or beated? At maximum game speed?

ya its no problem if you get the right starting point.i find that Bottom bases that are isolated almost never get attacked if its not 1v1 and are harder to assault in general.

1v1 i normally get my ass kicked but sometimes i get lucky

programm

TvsT is imba, cause they got lost of marines, imba, I wouldnt say this cheating PC is a good training for players in the future cause it makes you mass units in the beginning only to stop someone massing units due to more resources. This will never happen in real game and strats vs players are different cause there is no such double resources, as for Standard - too easy,.

theStig

I happened to open the MPQ's and had a look at the files that make up StarCrack AI and (since i have a programming-background). Making the AI stronger is truly more of a challenge than beating it in game, so all of you really should stop complaining... Make sure you play on ladder game speed ('Faster' in SC2; hit {+} on NumBlock twice) and have some fun.
I'm still working on beating 6.1 having a lot of fun. Thanks for that you guys!  ;)

maartendq

Quote from: blackfalcon on March 07, 2010, 03:05:27 PM

Noticed that too. I generally get my ass handed to me in TvP (me being T). All of a sudden I find an attack force of 16 zealots and a bunch of stalkers in front of my wall and I'm just not able to fend off that attack. I've tried several builds but it's no use.

When it's terran it tends to be 16 (or so) marines with some marauders.. and with zerg zerglings with roaches of course. The latter is rather easy to take down with a bunch of marines and marauders while the former is more difficult but by no means impossible.

Necrosis

Hi guys, First I want to say you've done a great job with the mod.  Can't wait for the next version.  Yet their is one little suggestion I would like to make.  When playing a game I saw a zerg opponent who had been brutally attack by the protoss and all it's expansions where destroyed.  Its main base had run out of minerals so it's workers just stood there, doing nothing.  It's naturally expansion was still open, it should have sent it's workers their to mine the minerals and deposit it back to the main base until it could set up another base their.  Keep up the good work.