StarCrack AI Official Thread (Latest Version: 7.0 )

Started by turdburgler, March 01, 2010, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leztar

Nice work! (again!)

I only play 1v1's with the standard non-cheating version, and it really does provide a good challenge.  I don't understand the statements of "too easy" as I frequently watch streams of players in the beta, and the AI seems to play better than most people below the platinum league. 

The biggest problem I've seen with it is some strange behavior that occurs when I have some overlords hanging out around the map as scouts.  If it's not too late in the game and the AI doesn't have anything in its army that can hit air, it'll just kinda... gather underneath the overlord and not attack at all.  It can actually be kinda nice, though, since that first attack always seems so very, very brutal!   :P

DemonStalker

So I sent an Observer to stalk the Terran AI's army, and it just randomly used Scanner Sweep on it and killed it.   :-[

mysticalmage13

Thank You! Will test it out after after i finish downloading the beta launcher. Keep up the good work! I'll test it against 1 first, i've been playing against 3 ai using your v6 and have only won once. I'm having a hard time beating 3 ai's; i could manage to defeat 2 but the 3rd would then continually annihilate me  :( . *sigh* Still I'm having fun playing with your ai, keep up the good job.  :)

mysticalmage13

So i just played 2 games with the current 6.1 version and got pawned on both occasions. ???  Now perhaps now i really need to improve because i could easily defeat the previous versions 1v1.  :)  Great job!
One problem though, it happened in both my games, the scouting probe/scv got stuck doing a weird dance in my base until i attacked it. My guess is that when i built my gateway it blocked the path they clicked on so since it couldn't get their it seemed like a weird dance, attacking them would activate their "defense code" which would tell them to run away. Other than that it worked fine. Great Job, have yet to try this on maps with backdoor possibilities so i can't comment on that yet. Keep up the good work. Thanks for bringing SC2 to the masses.  :)

vitalsine

6 was great, cant wait to see what aditions youve made so quickly. Great work guys. Been using this mod since v2. Gets way better every time.

turdburgler

Quote from: DemonStalker on March 07, 2010, 08:15:35 PM
So I sent an Observer to stalk the Terran AI's army, and it just randomly used Scanner Sweep on it and killed it.   :-[

Cloaked units can be spotted, quite easily if you know what you're looking for. I frequently catch the AIs observers hanging around, so I decloak them :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. The specifics are good!

Frosty3k

Really nice work on the new version. :)  Things are working rather well... and now I'm only waiting for blizzard to balance it a bit -- because 12 carriers is really tough to counter (unless you can get corruptors).

A little suggestion for the next version (or maybe a later version), I just tested out some other guy's program that lets you choose colour, race, and teams.  But the AI aren't programmed to understand that they can have allies... and thus try to kill an allied town hall building (and thus are stuck there until somebody else kills it).  So I'm just hoping you could patch the AI so they understand the concept of "teams".  Hopefully it isn't too tough to do :S

But, I think this AI is currently better than most beta testers. :P  If I was in the beta, I'd probably spend more time with your AI.

Artanis186

Are you sure the AI doesn't cheat.. just a LITTLE? I mean, the scouts ALWAYS seem to get to my base really early, suggesting maybe they know where I am at start.

kewickviper

Quote from: Artanis186 on March 07, 2010, 09:55:21 PM
Are you sure the AI doesn't cheat.. just a LITTLE? I mean, the scouts ALWAYS seem to get to my base really early, suggesting maybe they know where I am at start.

I can confirm it doesn't cheat on the non-cheating version. No extra resources and computer cannot see whole map.

Nipels

Quote from: programm on March 07, 2010, 03:32:16 PM
I found 1 major problem: All races seem to be massing 1st type of unit - mass zerglign, mass zealots, mass marines. In late game they still make them. They shouldnt mass so much tier 1 but after they lose their army next attacks to be massing stronger units including air.

The Standard is still easy, you can toy with the CPU as you want.

The Cheating AI is pointless - while you improved the AI for both, it is UNBEATABLE. It has no point... I dont know whatever race you are you cant beat it, you will always run out of time and resources and he will come.
I have beaten it plenty of times, without rushing too.

Bloodcrave

does the game notify you when you're playing against the 6.1 AI? i just tested it and there's no notice at the start, but the AI seems quite strong so i'm not too sure

is it because i'm using the new sc2 beta launcher version 0.21 that allows you to choose races?

DFA

6.1 works properly with launcher 0.21, i've been playing for the past few hours
in cheating version protoss was very strong, so i tried non-cheating against the zerg, and they were very easy. 

I had siege tanks, marines, and medics, and easily slaughtered them

Neverborn

I love the work you are doing! Very impressive so far, already much better than SC1s AI :))

I'm annoyed playing against protoss though... they seem to always just do this massive 3 gate zealot attack... so if you prepare for that with units (e.g. roaches) that counter them, then you just counterattack and win easily (even against cheating AI). Perhaps it might be possible for the protoss AI to use a strategy that isn't so silly? It's not very fun to play against, since your opening options are very limited by the ridiculous strategy he chooses.

Bloodcrave

but do you have the notification at the start of the game when you play against 6.1? i still didn't get any notice

DemonStalker

So I finally beat the AI on faster speed.  It was PvT, I just ignored gas and did a fast expo.  Trained around 10 Zealots that pwned the M&M army, then I went in the base and killed off any remaining Marines, destroyed some SCVs and a few buildings, then I left for the heck of it (still had 5 Zealots in his base, he had nothing).  After I amassed an army of Phoenixes, Archons, and Colossi, I went in, and the AI army was almost completely recovered (even saw a Battlecruiser). 
Bottom line: I'm amazed at how persistent the AI is, and how well it can recover from a lost battle.

Once again, congratulations on this AI, and I'm looking forward to future versions.