StarCrack AI Official Thread (Latest Version: 7.0 )

Started by turdburgler, March 01, 2010, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bedervet

Hey first of all some kisses to dev team..

I wrote a complete post but there was a bug all to be rewritten so cause i'am lazy, i will sum up.

I was testing the AA reaction AI, wich was an important step of 6.1.

Human VS Terran AI: no problems the most powerfull build uses mass marines or vikings, but if I harass its base AI will counter by doing AA turrets. So terran is fine no problems here.

Human VS zerg : no tested yet srry

Human vs protoss: a reaction came after i attacked, but it was a bit slow... I had the time to bring reinforcements before the AI produce enought to counter.

So reaction is mainly working fine, its just a matter of time before it gets really effective thx a lot guys

godspiral

Quote from: Lenor on March 08, 2010, 01:52:52 PM

Yeah tudrburgler,will you make a 1.5x harvesting bonus AI?It would allow us to choose the AI more adapted to our levels

Thanks for 6.1.1 BTW

sc2launcher 2.2.2 comes with a triglibs version (unpacked) of the 6.1 AI.  But I cannot find any code that sets what cheat modes are enabled/disabled.  If we find, then should be easy to tweak exact handicap to AI

Pleomax

Ok there seems to be something wrong with the AI. Played some TvT and at some point we went out of minerals  :D even dough he had like twice of my units he wouldn't kill me, he was just standing in his base with shitloads of units. Same thing happened in alot more games, I asked a friend of mine and he kinda got the same thing, the AI destroyed his defence and was just hovering with the carriers above his base not taking him out... any possible fix?
Btw AI countering air units seems to work pretty nice !
Alos now that StarLauncher allows teams like 2v2, 3v3 ...the AI seems to do OK but was wondering if it is possible to make the AI to assist you when attacking or when getting attacked ...you know some teamplay  :) .  Sometimes it seems that the AI companion can't discriminate the partner and enemies maybe you could take a look into that.
Another thing the AI could improve is to be more aggresive early game. Maybe it's just me but he kinda waits way too long till he attacks. Harras more !
Thanks for the constant updates and keep up to good work <3

BluECliQ

Thank you for your work Turd and others, I just wanted to throw one small thing if it's possible to do. Last night I was playing a Protoss vs Protoss game and I had turtled in my base with a sizeable amount of cannons. The AI had ranged units capable of hitting the single Pylon powering nearly all of them, but never went for it until it destroyed all of the cannons in front of it. Had they destroyed it I would have been overrun and lost the match.

Would it be possible for it to see that as a weakness and try to take out the power source? Likewise if there are numerous Pylons it could decide to ignore them and take out higher priority targets.

Quote from: Pleomax on March 08, 2010, 03:13:40 PM
Ok there seems to be something wrong with the AI. Played some TvT and at some point we went out of minerals even dough he had like twice of my units he wouldn't kill me, he was just standing in his base with shitloads of units.

I had something similar. In my PvP game, I was attacked by a number of Stalkers/Immortals/Zealots and they came close to destroying me but didn't. I took that opportunity to counter attack only to find a large army defending their base. If they had just taken that force with them during the initial attack I would have lost easily. I noticed this a few times now.

Also, what are the conditions for the AI to react to air? I had a number of Carriers and nothing else hovering over my cannon field to defend my base, but the AI kept mass producing Immortals which didn't exactly make sense to me. Does their base have to actually get attacked by air units for them to react? The fights at my base didn't seem to do anything.

Lenor

Quote from: godspiral on March 08, 2010, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: Lenor on March 08, 2010, 01:52:52 PM

Yeah tudrburgler,will you make a 1.5x harvesting bonus AI?It would allow us to choose the AI more adapted to our levels

Thanks for 6.1.1 BTW

sc2launcher 2.2.2 comes with a triglibs version (unpacked) of the 6.1 AI.  But I cannot find any code that sets what cheat modes are enabled/disabled.  If we find, then should be easy to tweak exact handicap to AI
Maybe...

Sindrome

unexpected end of archive. always 550kb and download stopping. 10 times i try to download it. please someone help. place this file on working file storge.

Mash

First of all, thanks a lot for your hard work. Been playing with this AI a lot now, and it's getting better and better.

Quote from: BluECliQ on March 08, 2010, 03:23:53 PM
Last night I was playing a Protoss vs Protoss game and I had turtled in my base with a sizeable amount of cannons. The AI had ranged units capable of hitting the single Pylon powering nearly all of them, but never went for it until it destroyed all of the cannons in front of it. Had they destroyed it I would have been overrun and lost the match.

Would it be possible for it to see that as a weakness and try to take out the power source? Likewise if there are numerous Pylons it could decide to ignore them and take out higher priority targets.

I registered just to back up this request. Just my words. I am usually playing as Protoss using the cannon-trick. Because AI doesn't work with 'weakest link strategy' you can have 15-20 cannons with a single Pylon. I would love an improvement, where the AI could determine the weakest link playing vs Protoss as they are bound to their power grid.

The algorithm could be something like if 1+ cannon is inside only a single pylon's power grid go for the pylon.

Enox

Quote from: Sindrome on March 08, 2010, 03:36:03 PM
unexpected end of archive. always 550kb and download stopping. 10 times i try to download it. please someone help. place this file on working file storge.

Try using a different web browser. its not the file host, its you. Different browser or different  unpacking utility.

programm

Quote from: turdburgler on March 08, 2010, 01:29:07 PM
Quote from: programm on March 08, 2010, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: turdburgler on March 08, 2010, 12:37:26 PM

EDIT: Uploading 6.1.1 with the message fixed.

Does it work with Valkyries launcher cause it doesnt detect 6.1 AI at all

Because you should read his readme  ::)

You have to install AIs into his launcher manually.

Is this wny I got a minus?

Isurwars

Thanks for the hard work making this AI.
Ok, i only register to give my feedback:

Terran:

-The AI build 2 barracks, 1 with tech add-on and 1 with "nothing" so they spam Marines and Marauders, please add a Reactor add-on to the second barrack so they can spam faster.

-This also aplies to the seconds paterns attacks they build a third barrack and buil 2 reactors add-ons on them(that's ok), but then they build 2 Factory, 1 with a tech add-on, and again 1 without anything, so they only spam tanks with the tech'd one, build a tech addon in both of them.

-Some variation of the second "tech phase" is that it builds 1 or 2 factory without addon, and then build a starport and start spamming vikings, the problem again is that it has NO add-on, it should again have a Reactor for the spamming.

Zerg:

-This has a BIG BIG BIG flaw in the AI, the zergs should build a Second Hatchery, JUST after the first Rush, and a queen for this Hatchery, after the third attack it also need to build an expansion (or a third hatchery and a queen). it always should have access to massive amounts of larvas.

-The best Zerg Unit is still the Hydralisk, and a combo of roaches and Hydras is really REALLY difficult to stop, keep that in mind for the second phase of attacks.

-The zerg AI never EVER upgrade his armor, it should build 2 (not 1,2!!!) evolution chambers, and start evolving armor->ranged->meele.(Roaches and hydras use ranged attacks).

Protoss:

-When building stalkers the ai should also build Sentinels(2 or 3), the barrier of the sentinels is a basic support ability and make a very big difference.

programm

Quote from: turdburgler on March 08, 2010, 01:29:07 PM
Because you should read his readme  ::)

You have to install AIs into his launcher manually.

They could ve said there has to be a folder IN AI folder, anyway made it work.

Finally some positive feedback by me:
While in the old SC2 installation + Valk launcher 2.1 + AI 6.0 + Old AI maps = Crashes launcher/loading freezes if you try to be Refree, close a Slot to be None or use more than 1 of the same color, or rare colors

Well the combo - fresh SC2 installation + Valk  launcher 2.1 + AI 6.1.1 (maybe thx to it) + New syk0 maps with loading screens = All works

Those colors work that didnt work before. I dont have to even select a color, I dont have to select them to be a sp[ecific race - it can be me with my race vs Random (that also crashed with old AI 6.0 or old maps w.o loading screen).

godspiral

To adjust difficulty setting on cheating AI, the quick version is (tested):

in MeleeAI.galaxy, about 20 lines from the bottom, there is 3 extra lines in the cheating AI over the regular one.

AIHarvestBonus(player, 2.0);  //sets mineral boost. 1.0 is no cheating. 0.8 is 20% easier
    AISetDifficulty(player, c_diffNormalVision, false);  //sets maphack
    AISetDifficulty(player, c_diffLimitAPM, false);  //unsets any apm limit on AI

I've set mine to:

AIHarvestBonus(player, 1.2); //20% harder
//    AISetDifficulty(player, c_diffNormalVision, false); //no maphack
    AISetDifficulty(player, c_diffLimitAPM, false);

There are other difficulty settings just below, but I wouldn't tamper with them.

If AI designers would standardise on the player variable,  and the c_diffNormalVision and c_diffLimitAPM contants (they prob do, as that was in blizzard original I assume), and standardise on placing it in the MeleeAI.galaxy file, then launchers could adjust the cheat amounts and flags on the fly while loading game.

this tool will let you open up and extract or replace individual base.sc2data files:  http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html

Kakaru

I register to say thanks for Turd for his amazing skills.

I just played 3 games TvP with the new 6.1.1 and for the first time ever I lost 2 in a row. I won the third by adding some starport troops. He does build some AA, but not enough

Report: I fight the AI for an expansion 3 times. Finally I won but I retired my forces in order for him to have it, as I now had all over the map. But he didn't expand there anymore, he just remained in his base.

Anyway, it's clear now that the AI is starting to pose a challenge. I remember that with v3 I always had to play with the cheat version and still they didn't were dangerous enough.

cliffton

Quote from: Isurwars on March 08, 2010, 04:24:31 PM
-The zerg AI never EVER upgrade his armor, it should build 2 (not 1,2!!!) evolution chambers, and start evolving armor->ranged->meele.(Roaches and hydras use ranged attacks).
I played a ZvZ where zerg ranged units were 2/2 by the end.  They do upgrade, but when they do might need to be tweaked for all I know

Jarpoir

I have a few comments / critiques about the latest AI script thats come out (v6.1.1)

I've noticed that the AI is quite poor at harvesting minerals--having only about 4 scvs / 3 probes or so by the time i'm hitting 12 - 16.
Also, there is poor / no recovery from the AI if you send in a few marines /zealots or even scvs / probes to harass mineral collectors early game.
So far with versions 4.0-6.1.1, I've found the AI is capable of little, if any, defensive strategies todefend against any type of rush, and the initial rush the AI seemedquite fond to execute rarely happens anymore, if at all.
Also, if a terran building, such as a barracks is in red health and burning itself in, the AI will make no attempt to repair it, but rather goes on to build a tech lab on it, and will even start creating units / upgrading while its barracks clearly has only about 10 seconds of life left in it.

Hope my input will help!
Thanks for all your hard work, it doesn't go under-appreciated!!