StarCrack AI Official Thread (Latest Version: 7.0 )

Started by turdburgler, March 01, 2010, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbb24

I know you said don't ask for an ETA. And I'm not. I'm just curious if we can get an idea of what you plan to get done for 7.0. What are the big goals for the new version? I don't care about the time it takes you to make it. Just curious on what to look forward to.

Pleomax

Quote from: orbb24 on March 10, 2010, 01:01:15 AM
I know you said don't ask for an ETA. And I'm not. I'm just curious if we can get an idea of what you plan to get done for 7.0. What are the big goals for the new version? I don't care about the time it takes you to make it. Just curious on what to look forward to.
You can expect improvements !

tyrindor

Things I hope for in 7.0:
1) A fix for AI killing their own units with friendly skills. Protoss does this alot.
2) A couple more early/mid/late game builds.
3) Ive done a couple observations and the protoss wins everytime.
4) Zerg sometimes doesn't touch gas for a good 15 minutes into the game. By this time they are still using mass Zergling, and a couple Roaches. While I will have Carriers or something.

Rating AI:
Protoss 8/10 - This would be 10/10 if they would use chrono boost more accurately, and stop killing themselfs with lightning.
Terran 7/10 - They tend to still build alot of the same units. I've never actually seen them use battlecruisers.
Zerg 6/10 - Queens sit in the same base, and he builds way to many of them. Doesn't gather gas for a good 15 minutes sometimes. In my experience, by far the easiest to kill out of the 3. Never seen them use many of the air units because by the time I have carriers on the field, they are just teching to Hydras (because they lack gas).

kurupted

Quote from: kblood on March 09, 2010, 05:06:34 PM
Quote from: kurupted on March 09, 2010, 04:15:18 PM
Hehe, out of boredom just played vs 3 teamed up zerg as terran  ;D  , without marine rushing :P . Total bloodbath it was, I barely managed to win, thanks to battlecruisers and MM drop.

Patiently waiting for a new version! o/
Nice :) I have still only played about 10-15 full games of SC2 total. So I have barely gotten the hang of it yet. Most the time I have been looking at how the AI battles the AI. So I sometimes still struggle against 1 AI. Probably because I should stick to one race at a time and get to know the new ways of building up fast, efficiently and in the right order. When to expand, and when to just pump out troops, and when to tech up. It all needs a good balance and done in the right order. Especially since the AI seems to have become almost better than me. Zerg vs Zerg 1on1 I have a hard time winning. My build order sucks compared to the AIs it seems  :(
Which makes Starcraft 2 all the more interesting for now :) Would be a bit boring having mastered this game before I could play against real people anyway.

Try one race, pref. terran or protoss and play against one zerg. They are the weakest with the current AI, for terran it's pretty easy, just make a wall at the ramp with supply depots, few marines behind and you can repel this first zergling rush. Make sure to repair your wall afterwards tho! ^^ . Then just gradually add units and bunkers, make sure you secure a second mineral/gas source. For protoss it's more or less the same, zealots cut through zerglings like knife through butter, besides you have photon cannons to barricade with(might want to leave open space to move units out of your base sometime :P ).

If you wanna eliminate an opponent swiftly as terran, just make 3-4 barracks, mass build marines and counter attack him after his first wave splats on your wall. You won't need gas at all for that, only for building a reactor addon to your barracks. This is especially useful against protoss, since in late-game they can wreck your base easily if you stay too defensive and let him expand/tech up.

kblood

I have won more than a few games. I just like to challenge myself. I suck at Zerg, but just for the fun of it, at v. 6.0 I tried winning with protoss using only 2 types of units. Probes and the Mothership  :D  It was FFA, which helps alot, but at times I had Terran at the with Battle Cruisers and Protoss with carriers. With only these two unit types I was filling the map with photon cannons though. Use a strategy of making pylons below or above a wall then going on the other side to spawn the cannons, after having made cannons above or below first. It seems it was an okay tactic, but is not that easy to win with, since it can be rather expensive. I almost ran out of resources in that game, and was rather lucky that protoss at one point all but destroyed the Terran. The tactic was easier against zerg, although the mothership was needed against hatcheries :)

Trying those kinds of things is usefull for learning the finer mechanics of the game, and how they have balanced it. Zerg creep from a hatchery just exactly keeps photon cannons out of its range :)

tyrindor

Everytime I play with more than 1 computer in an FFA they ALWAYS attack me first.

I'll get attacked by AI #1 about 6 minutes after starting, easily defeat them. Then i'll get attacked by AI #2 about 1 minute later, and then AI #3 1 minute after that. #3 always destroys me since I just defended off 2 attacks of equal sized forces.

I guess i'll stick to 1v1 and 2v2 until this is addressed..

kblood

Yea, sometimes I get that as well. The time with the turrets I think I closed one enemy in his base with photon cannons. I think that is what saved me. My main problem is Zerg vs. Zerg. or just Zerg really, I am not building fast enough. I think it is about when to build queen, when to mass troops and when to expand that is my problem. Maybe I should try a zerg and zerg team, so I can copy the computers build  :-[

tyrindor

Quote from: kblood on March 10, 2010, 08:05:19 AM
Yea, sometimes I get that as well. The time with the turrets I think I closed one enemy in his base with photon cannons. I think that is what saved me. My main problem is Zerg vs. Zerg. or just Zerg really, I am not building fast enough. I think it is about when to build queen, when to mass troops and when to expand that is my problem. Maybe I should try a zerg and zerg team, so I can copy the computers build  :-[

Starcraft 2 is really different. I'm using almost completely different build orders. The first 5 or so games of each race I got destroyed. The next 5 was a hit and miss.

However I'm to the point where it's almost impossible for me to lose against v6.1.1 unless i'm attacked by 3 computers at the same time or close together.

jpargami

I registered just to thank you.

Great work, the AI is really challenging (for a noob like me, that is).

I'd been waiting for SC2 for soooo long. Truly the best drug. 8)

orbb24

Quote from: Pleomax on March 10, 2010, 01:44:09 AM
Quote from: orbb24 on March 10, 2010, 01:01:15 AM
You can expect improvements !
I hope that was a joke. He isn't going to release 7.0 and have it be EXACTLY the same. He is above that. So I was curious one what the ideas were. Of course he did say he was in the planning stage still. So that means in a couple weeks or so we could have one beastly AI on us.

orbb24

That chart looks amazing. If that can be accomplished then that will be absolutely amazing! Great work!

iounas

One thing I noticed is that at start ai goes all in and doesnt tech or fast expand..
When I play PvP ai goes for 3 gateways and just pumps zealots (without gas or core) until there are about 16 and attacks.. So if I defend their first push I have economic and tech advantage and the game is over..
Would be nice if sometimes they teched faster or get fast expansion for economy..

Is it possible to make the game end with victory when ai says gg?

zumar

Great job! here is my short report [about standard edition]:
in 1v1 he always gives me a chance to make a lot of zerglings (50 - 100) and kill him.
In SC1 was the same picture - kill `st wave and you'll win.
But, once again, thank you!