reapers pwn protoss

Started by pixartist, March 02, 2010, 07:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamewiz

Kingdom, to add to that, go marines against Immortals. It's obvious when a Protoss player favors immortals. When he does that, just mass marines (which is dirt cheap, quick, and very effective). Immortals shields are nothing against a barrage of marines, and they will drop EXTREMELY quickly.

The key is a healthy balance of units. A healthy dose of marines, marauders, one ghost (to EMP at the start of the fight), some medivacs, and a couple special units (depending on their force and the situation at hand) will make your chances of winning much higher. It's all about scouting and knowing what the other player is doing.

Also, and most important, DO NOT FORGET TO UPGRADE! I've seen battles one solely because one person researched and upgraded their units, while the other person didn't and just had a larger number. Upgrades are amazing and can turn the tide of the battle.

Marines with the shield, stimpacks, and upgrades, and 4x more effective than without.

gg.sc2

You guys keep saying get this, get that, but the point is that he doesn't have time to react when he actually sees the opponents ball of units coming at him. Sure it looks good on paper going stimmed rines vs immortals, but what if he had gone a different route in the beginning, ie mech. You can't fix your unit choice so quickly with mainly facts up and 1 rax or something. Telling someone to do build this unit or that one doesn't help unless you're trying to give him tips on what unit counters what unit.

The key to choosing the right units relies on scouting, always scout even if your scout dies. Even a small glimpse of what the opponent's army consists of gives a good enough idea of what to expect.

If a player is using reapers for head on attacking, he obviously isn't that experienced. The real problem is not knowing what the opponent has. When he does know, they're already raping his units.

Also, blood_hound, if you've only got 5 reapers, 8 marauders, and 15 marines by the time he has 3 immortals out, your mechanics of the game need some work. 3 immortals is 750 minerals and 300 gas. Including 5 stalkers, that's an addition 625 minerals and 250 gas. Unless you're playing against the AI cheat version or a real person, I don't know how the comp is getting that many resources for units by the time you only have that much of an army. It could be that you're wasting your resources on trying too many structures, or you aren't building enough SCV's to mine.

Kingdom

BOTH builds I mentioned DO counter what he was versus, and what he WILL be versing. Fact is, there ARE things called standard strats, and though scouting is vital; There WILL not be much of a derivative from standards, therefore educating someone in a standard first IS the right way to go.

Trying to teach a new player how to adapt, and react after a scout is a lot harder if they don't even know the basic routes he could take. After trying a few builds on his own, and can BEAT the computer; then how to react can come.

Least that is how I learn, and taught people via Iccup on SC1. Similar to learning anything; you learn the method, before the application.

Gamewiz

Quote from: gg.sc2 on March 04, 2010, 12:51:49 PM
You guys keep saying get this, get that, but the point is that he doesn't have time to react when he actually sees the opponents ball of units coming at him. Sure it looks good on paper going stimmed rines vs immortals, but what if he had gone a different route in the beginning, ie mech. You can't fix your unit choice so quickly with mainly facts up and 1 rax or something. Telling someone to do build this unit or that one doesn't help unless you're trying to give him tips on what unit counters what unit.

The key to choosing the right units relies on scouting, always scout even if your scout dies. Even a small glimpse of what the opponent's army consists of gives a good enough idea of what to expect.

If a player is using reapers for head on attacking, he obviously isn't that experienced. The real problem is not knowing what the opponent has. When he does know, they're already raping his units.

Also, blood_hound, if you've only got 5 reapers, 8 marauders, and 15 marines by the time he has 3 immortals out, your mechanics of the game need some work. 3 immortals is 750 minerals and 300 gas. Including 5 stalkers, that's an addition 625 minerals and 250 gas. Unless you're playing against the AI cheat version or a real person, I don't know how the comp is getting that many resources for units by the time you only have that much of an army. It could be that you're wasting your resources on trying too many structures, or you aren't building enough SCV's to mine.

I tell him to get this and get that, but I end it by saying it's not going to matter unless you scout. Mass marines against immortals is a definite win, but if he spawns up a couple templar with psi-storm, it's GG. That's why you want to back up your marines with something like a ghost, to quickly EMP those templar making them utterly useless.

That's also why I said to give a healthy mix of units. NEVER mass just one unit. You will lose. Period.

gg.sc2

Quote from: Kingdom on March 04, 2010, 01:03:27 PM
BOTH builds I mentioned DO counter what he was versus, and what he WILL be versing. Fact is, there ARE things called standard strats, and though scouting is vital; There WILL not be much of a derivative from standards, therefore educating someone in a standard first IS the right way to go.

Trying to teach a new player how to adapt, and react after a scout is a lot harder if they don't even know the basic routes he could take. After trying a few builds on his own, and can BEAT the computer; then how to react can come.

Least that is how I learn, and taught people via Iccup on SC1. Similar to learning anything; you learn the method, before the application.

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm just pointing out the fact that you're telling him to choose this route or that one, which are not "standard" builds, they are YOUR strats that you like to use. It's only standard when everyone uses the same method for the same purpose, standardized through extensive experiment to find the strongest builds for certain purposes. You think SC1 had "standard builds" when it first came out? That's why I emphasize scouting, games do derivate from standard, especially now in SC2 that you must adapt even more because of "hard counters". If you learn what units are best against other units, then all you need is scouting information and you can go from there. It's best to build a habit of scouting early on rather than wait it off until you get "semi" good at comp stomping. I'd also rather learn the game inside out and have a better understanding of why go this unit versus that unit than have someone tell me, just because "it's better".