AI Script Editing Tool

Started by sYk0, March 02, 2010, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sYk0

Hi all you would be AI developers,

I'm working on a tool (one of many for SC2) which would hopefully aid you in the development of your AI scripts.

Here's a list of features that I will implemented during the course of development.

• Syntax Highlighting (for Galaxy Script).
  • Code Folding.
  • Editing of a script file will be easy, not a drawn out process like it currently is.
  • Editing of script files will be done in a memory buffer, thismeans no files will be written to disk (unless specified by theauthor), therefore, editing is ultra-fast.
  • Only once the author/editor has completed will (all) the files be written back to the archive (all at once, no manual extracting/adding/deleting).
  • The ability to find errors in the (uncompleted) code that could cause crashes/errors.
  • Perhaps code completion (one day).
Here's the process that I'm trying to eliminate:

• Locate and open the .mpq file(s) on your drive.
  • Locating the specific file(s) for editing.
  • Extracting the required file(s) to your drive (or temporary working folder).
  • Edit the file(s) with notepad (or similar).
  • Save the file(s) back to disk.
  • Import the edited file(s) back into the .mpq archive.
  • Close the .mpq archive (else StarCraft will crash).
  • Finally get to test the script.
Instead the process will be as simple as:

• Select an .mpq file (will default to your Starcraft II directory).
  • Select and edit (in one application) any or all of the .galaxy files.
  • Click "Save" to update the .mpq archive - OR - click the "Save & Run" button to update the archive an execute Starcraft II.
I'm sure I left out some information but feel free to leave your comments and/or ask me a few questions.
Perhaps you think the app is a waist/stupid, if so, i'd really like to know, it will save me time if no one is going to use it.  ;)

I'd like to point out the following:

• This application may/will help you edit scripts easier.
  • It is not going to make you a script writer over night, you do need to know what you are doing.
Here's a sneak preview (without syntax highlighting and cold folding):

Darkmapper

This is genius!
Such a editor would be really usefull!
Tried to edit it with winmpq and scite, but it failed, no idea why.
Please i beg you keep it up!

MiCrOMaN1

Our Greatest Resource is Our Mind ~ Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Check this: http://img123.exs.cx/img123/4497/gif1.gif

Splashy5

yah i need this because i cant get the Base.SC2Data to start up after i edit it :( nothing spawns when i start the map........

Cynris

This would be a really great tool! I would like to get into AI editing and the like, and this looks like it could save a lot of time.

I know people hate this question, but do you have an ETA of when a beta version might come out?

Kernel64

sYk0

I can't give an exact ETA on the beta, however, I'll try get something out by the end of the week.
I'm on holiday the whole of next week, so there will be no development for 8-9 days, starting this Friday.

I can't guarantee that all the features listed above will be implemented but I will at least add basic editing and saving.

Darkmapper

I hope you get it done soon.
I really appreciate that youre taking time to make a program like this.

adonys

it's much much better to use totalcommander (with the MPQ archive plugin) and ultraedit (with a SC2 script language file).

If I'll have some time these days, I'll create the ultraedit language file for the SC2 scripts.

SPmac

While putz'n around with all the AI files, I decided to write a lil program to quickly convert the .GALAXY files to .C (can convert from .GALAXY to basicly any text format, and from whatever format back to .GALAXY... i like the syntax highlighting, reading the files in VC). IDK if you guys would have a use for it, but it serves it's purpose for me quite well. Check it out if you wish...

http://www.mediafire.com/?hyow1m2o2mw

Also, looking at the AI, was wondering if I could help you guys in any way.. I've very little knowledge of the code, but i believe I can figure out how to implement some functions, and figure out their uses. Only idea I have is to have many individuals look at small sections, implement the functions in that section, and report on functionality. If you're doing sumthing along these lines, send me an eMail.

anyhow... thx for the AI's and gj ..few pics of what the program does, if interested

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/SPMAC/Before.png
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/SPMAC/batch.png
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/SPMAC/After.jpg

Darkmapper

I still am interested. I downloaded this total commander, but i dont get smart of it...
A Editor specially made for starcraft 2 AI`s would still be very usefull.
I hope that you continue making this program.

sYk0

Just a heads up,

I haven't forgotten about this project (I'm still working on it, as I type this message), I'm going away for a few days so there will be no updates from me.

If anyone is interested in testing the current alpha build please PM me, it's a very basic version as I haven't had much time to work on it during working hours.

• You'll get very basic open, edit, delete and save functionality
  • I have added loading and syntax highlighting of .xml documents.
Please note: This current Alpha build is a far (not too far) cry away from what the program will eventually become (A powerhouse MPQ editor specifically targeted at StarCraft II).

Kernel64

A few first feature requests: (will update later for bugs, etc.)

1. Loading a folder instead of the mpq.
2. Load a folder, say, "\TriggerLibs" and all the files and save them into a clean base.sc2data file.
3. Change the background color of the editor. White hurts my eyes. 30% gray would be alright.
4. remove/hide line numbers.
5. Change font.

I'm using conTEXT atm, with the gray background. I'll test this more when my eyes have rested a bit.

kblood

Try:
http://mwolk.com/blog/advanced-notepa/
For now it is somewhat useful, at least for checking syntax. When using it to edit .galaxy files, just set the language to C++ and it should be able to figure out the syntax okay, and it has code folding.
sYk0's tool will be much more useful when editing several files at once though. The simplicity of it so far seems amazing :) I would like to do some alpha testing if needed.