"Starcraft 2 has stopped working".

Started by Orims, March 02, 2010, 06:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orims

Hello people.

Whenever I try to play SC2 vs an AI, I keep getting this message from Windows: "Starcraft 2 has stopped working", which forces me to close it. I can't even get to see the loading screen because this message pops up (the only SC2 thing I get to see is the cursor, and after that said message appears).

I have re-installed SC2 about 5 times now, used different files and caches, ran AI maps (and even replays!) with every single "lazylauncher" version I could find and nothing, same ol' problem....

If someone can help me solve my problem, I would be really thankful.

PS: If it helps to know, I'm "running" SC2 on Windows Vista.

ghost303

Yea i have the same problem except when I launch starcraft II just by itself, fresh install, no cracks or anything, it just dies in the arse, no debug handler or anything. Just "Starcraft II has stopped working".

I am running windows 7 64bit.

When i launch it through the lazy launcher, the internal debugger handles it and spits out the exception "ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) occurred at 0023:77BB3913.  The memory at '0x6E6F6974' could not be read."

Happy-I-am

Quote from: ghost303 on March 03, 2010, 05:15:07 AM
Yea i have the same problem except when I launch starcraft II just by itself, fresh install, no cracks or anything, it just dies in the arse, no debug handler or anything. Just "Starcraft II has stopped working".

I am running windows 7 64bit.

When i launch it through the lazy launcher, the internal debugger handles it and spits out the exception "ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) occurred at 0023:77BB3913.  The memory at '0x6E6F6974' could not be read."

Run as administrator. if it doesn't work please reply.

bustya

i had the same problem. uninstall Sc2. then clean the registry with CCleaner. Restart computer, reinstall SC2 and update. Then apply the goodies. U don't need cache for AI. No files should be overwritten.

Orims

Ran both " lazylauncher"  and SC2 as administrator and I still get the same message.

Bustya, whats a CCleaner?

Sly_Fly

CCleaner is a program that stands for Crap Cleaner. It basically removes all the unnecessary junk such as temporary files from you computer. its fairly handy.

In regards to your problem its possible you could just fix it by lowering the graphics settings. If you cant get into SC2 in order to lower them then there is a text file called "variables" in the SC2 beta folder in your documents that holds the settings for the graphics options of the game.

I have attached an example of what "variables.txt" looks like when settings are turned to low. some of it though contains info about resolution and cpu count so those things you wont need to worry about.

chetjan

I had the same problem at some point, but a reinstalled fixed the issue.

Orims

Already ran CCleaner, re-installed it, lowered my graphic requirements to the lowest, and even installed it in another location but NOTHING!

Ugh, this is starting to drive me insane!

I would really appreciate any sort of help please, it will give you good karma :)

Sly_Fly

Can you play SC2 not against the ai? Such as by yourself or watch replays. And what about Just getting to the menu? can you do any of those? Oh, and make sure you have updated SC2.

Orims

Quote from: Sly_Fly on March 03, 2010, 07:18:42 PM
Can you play SC2 not against the ai? Such as by yourself or watch replays. And what about Just getting to the menu? can you do any of those? Oh, and make sure you have updated SC2.

I can get into the menu (that's how I tweaked my graphic specs to the lowest), but whenever I open SC2 with any program that isn't the direct SC2 Beta icon (even including the "Play" option right after I download the patches!), I get a black screen and then the SC2 cursor appears for about 2 secs which then leads me to the "SC2 has stopped working", then it forces me to close it.

And yes, every time I re-install SC2 I do update it (download the patches).

PS: If you want, I can post a picture of the message I get.
PS2: I also get this message when I have set my SC2 to work in windowed mode.

Sly_Fly

If you can play replays normally from the SC2 menu then I dont think i can be of much more help. If you cant play the replays then it has to do with SC2 itself and not the Lazylauncher and I still am not sure if i cant help.

Maybe CCleaner was not cleaning your registry? Im not sure if that is a default option when it is run.

Maybe get a different computer? I dunno... Trade with a friend temporarily or something. I wish i could help more.

Orims

I can't play SC2 replays neither from the menu nor with Lazylauncher.

I'll try using my bro's computer and see if I can play it there, if I can't then the source of this problem will be the installer itself.

Thnx for you help though.

ghost303

Running as Administrator I have already tried. Didnt help at all. Will try CCleaner tho.

TYVM.

Will reply with results

stephen1341

I used to get the starcraft error and had to reinstall starcraft to play again. then it would happen again and I would have to reinstall again :P I finally figured out something in my user/appdata/local/Blizzard Entertainment/battle.net file was messing things up. So to fix it now all you have to do is go to that battle.net file, open it up, and delete everything in it. Then start a game with lazytown launcher etc, it should recreate all the stuff it needs in the file and you can star playing again. This worked for me but I don't know if it will work for you so back up your battle.net file before deleting the contents  8)

cloak123

DO you have the latest nvidia drivers, blizzard has stated a problem with these and you will need to revert back to a older driver. Try that and tell me if it does not work